Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

perhaps with reinforced ribs every 15/20 meters, each watertight compartment.

I posted the thing of the battleships as a provocation , because I can not share the reasoning made ​​on this tread.
    The condominiums of cruise must have safety rules that must be different from those of normal vessels.
    Designers to please the owners have created these horrible things that may cram thousands of persons.
    These people must be guaranteed.

Lawyer Bongiorno know very well how to bring out the problem during the process.

Although it is possible that obtains everything she wants from the Costa behind closed doors.

2. Gian Milan

I do not think that a train can sink vertically .... maybe in the middle of the track!
    Instead ships well built, ie long, narrow and low, they can move in 3D.
    Although the Z-axis should be used very sparingly ...
    :rolleyes:

3. Gian Milan

News from Concordia1.

Miss Bongiorno, one of the greatest Italian lawyers, who did carry out Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito (as well as other processes virtually impossible) will represent victims of Concordia.
    I predict some problems for Schettino and Costa Crociere.

News from Concordia 2

The columnist for the German weekly Der Spiegel Jan Fleischauer shoots to zero on Italy. According to the journalist Schettino is just the tip of the iceberg, the iceberg of Italianity, ie a set of cunning, incompetence, ignorance, misconduct, parasitism, Mafia, victimization, bullying and machismo, and so on.

Jan Fleischhauer, a columnist for Spiegel Online wrote: "Hand on heart, but be surprised that the captain was an Italian? You can imagine what kind of maneuvers and then the abandonment of the vessel are decided by a German captain or British? We know from general types of seaside holidays, good boys with big gestures, able to speak with your fingers and hands, in principle incapable of hurting people, but we should keep them away from heavy machinery and sensitive, as shown.

Today was recovered from Concordia the seventeenth body.
    Erika, 25, from Peru.
    She was wearing the uniform of the Costa Concordia.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I agree.
    Cheers.

5. seewolfbarney

seewolfbarney Junior Member

Doesn't that mean: the captain panicked in bringing the vessel into that "hard to starboard" ? Shouldn't he have known, how the stern would go to?

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

7. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Any update on the Concordia salvage time line?

8. seewolfbarney

seewolfbarney Junior Member

9. BPL

BPL Senior Member

10. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Spotted one of CC's props on this video (13 to 20 sec - after the ad), took a screenshot, it's a left handed prop (anticlockwise forward thrust), think it's on port side but not sure about that, in contradiction to Wiki CC info ‘‘two fixed pitch propellers’’ it looks to be a variable pitch propeller . . ? ?

_costa_concordia_lh_propeller_.JPG
    click pic to enlarge

So, it's for sure not what I asked for in post#751 if CC could have two right handed props :)

Now waiting for a picture of the other prop and confirmation of the side . . . . . . :?:

Cheers,
    Angel

11. Guillermo

Angel,
    That is probably the port side propeller. It looks to me like a fixed pitch anticlockwise turning one. Starboard propeller should turn clockwise then.
    Cheers.

12. Guillermo

I think it was probably the only possible desperate reaction. Stopping engines and keeping course straight alternative has been speculated with, as well as some other possible manoeuvres, but I would like to know who is the super-captain with such a cold blood and ability to judge distances at night in a fraction of a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GCUpkrU67s

13. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

I agree, battle ship does not fit in we luxury ride.

14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Update, 28 January 2012 info:

Here's PDF of the procedure, see also the hot tap animation vids part 1 and 2.

Part two of those a hot tap animation vids also answers the question of how they get the heavy fuel oil hot enough in this procedure to make liquid so it's pumpable. They put in a heater through the pump pipe first, fed by a hot (water - oil - steam - ??) or electric ?? from the salvage barge.

Here's a dutch vid on which you can see the placing of a hot tap, however they have now withdrawn because of unfavourable weather conditions.

_costa_concordia_hot_tap_oil_salvage_.JPG
    click pic to enlarge

Screenshot from the dutch vid of the placing of one of the hot taps.

Cheers,
    Angel

15. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

These guys would be on the big bucks :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.