Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

your continued understanding will be more than enough :D any way if "you" put a link in than you can expect some comedy:D :D . but maybe i could help if you have a question ?
    please know Questions on the McCoy/Kirk link you entered as i am not a warp theorist or any other space faring traveller.

2. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

I would not worry too much.
    Consider that I am of the opinion that the hull of a cruise ship should have the thickness of a side of a battleship of IIWW.

3. janneke

janneke New Member

Dear Mr N
    As soon as i wrote my reply i knew what you were going answer.
    1 – Yes azipods are different from line shaft props, i won't argue about that, but let's not forget that the original discussion started with : do twin shafts rotate in opposite directions or not.
    I only came up with examples of azipods because there is more info and foto's on this type of drive than on the traditional twin drive, which by now is a conventional drive system.
    But in the function of both, they are comparable.
    2 – again this was not relevant in the start of the discussion, but it was already answered in the article on the internet :
    Xtracted from Wikipedia :
    A propeller that turns clockwise to produce forward thrust, when viewed from aft, is called right-handed. One that turns anticlockwise is said to be left-handed. Larger vessels often have twin screws to reduce heeling torque, counter-rotating propellers, the starboard screw is usually right-handed and the port left-handed, this is called outward turning. The opposite case is called inward turning. (see also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller )
    I'll keep digging and as soon as i find more info i'll let you know.
    3 – as in 1 and 2 above, the discussion was not about fixed or variable pitch props, let's not deviate from the original topic : direction of rotation.
    4 – no comment on that

As an additional contra for azipods : many ships have been recalled in drydock because a “simple” item on the azi broke down and had at great expense to be replaced in dry dock. On the “shake down” or on the maiden trip of one of the new RCI ships a simple bearing failed and had to be replaced by spare unit for another ship because there was NO proper spare unit available. The right one had to be installed 6 months later, yes again a trip to drydock for that. I have seen a video on how they install an azipod drive, it was not easy to do!

Best regards
    JP

4. seewolfbarney

seewolfbarney Junior Member

Well - I am of the opinion that a captain who runs a ship like this ("Costa ...") at a speed of 16 knots and a distance of one mile towards an island - like shown - is crazy or blacked out or criminal. Nothing to discuss about "thickness of hull"...

5. seewolfbarney

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

The Titanic was sunk by a large ice cube and in those days things were built thick..but still it made little difference...at the end of the day you still want to be able to float, there is such a thing as overkill.

7. harry cassin

harry cassin Old Salt

Hmm well there u go

8. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

Only a fool could not agree with you.
    but, besides the criminals, accidents can happen.
    In this case you can not cram from 4000 to 6500 people on unsafe ships.
    and, again, 70 meters tall ships with hull of 9, are inherently unsafe for stability.
    If water boarding fold to one side immediately: is physiological.
    At least half of the lifeboats immediately becomes unusable.
    and so on.

9. janneke

janneke New Member

Let's not forget what happened in Sharm El Sheikh in 2009 with the Costa Europa (a few months before she was sold to Thomson). The ship "so called" was pushed onto the piercorner by a wind gust, killing three crew members who were sleeping in their cabin.
    And in july 2009 he took such a fast and sharp U-turn that the aft swimming pool overflowed on starboard side. All that to beat the Pullmantur's Pacific Dream to enter the port of Agadir. Not something to be proud of!
    And who was the captain of this ship : yes, dear Schettino himself!
    JP

Attached Files:

10. seewolfbarney

Floating skyscrapers... It is only for business - and I would never board on a vessel like those - with thousands of sardines doing nothing else but dining, sleeping, drinking, shopping...

I refer to the "Andrea Doria" incident of diverse failures at one time; problems with life-boats then should have told the industry to come up with adequate solutions. And:

Quote: This is the kind of accident that is bound to happen at times even if it is extremely rare. No rules can stop the human brain from mixing up right and left once in while. This analysis of the detailed course of events in the Andrea Doria/Stockholm collision therefore emphasizes the importance of Mr. Cahill’s words: "Where sea room is available, a prudent mariner does not let another approach so close, that some sudden and unanticipated move does not allow time to take effective evasive action."

Quote from: http://www.carlonordling.se/doria/doria.html

11. IEWinkle

IEWinkle Retired Naval Architect

Unfortunately the vessel it collided with did not - it eventually capsized! Thankfully the passengers who were not already dead from the impact were evacuated into boats in a timely and orderly manner! A bow strike is almost always survivable - the stuck vessel is invariably the casualty.

12. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

As happened in the case I noted in my post #652

13. Mulkari

Mulkari Junior Member

I'm not sure battleship like hull would be optimal solution since in high speed crash like this it is likely that there still would be a breach. 5 cm outer skin backed by massive framing and inner hull together with multiple waterproof bulkheads and waterproof decks probably would be enough to limit the size of a damage and massively reduce the rate of flooding and flooded area even if both hulls are breached.
    Engine rooms should be protected by additional bulkheads to make them as safe from flooding as possible.
    Those new huge cruise ships with thousands of people onboard should be designed with assumption that not always evacuation will be possible in case ship gets damaged so it should be built as resistant to sinking and capsize as possible.

14. Jolly Amaranto

15. Jolly Amaranto

[​IMG]Will it never end?

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.