Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

The reason he went of course and not the same track as the last time the GPs took the ship through the 2 islands was many of the crew are from that Island and they like to wave to friends and relatives --its an Italian thing apparently and they often do it this time he cocked up.

There are mobile phone VDO's of people filming how close it was.
 
I'm sure he'd like to live that day over, if he could do it differently.
 
could one of the real captains here go back to BHere post #444? The video of Concordia course showing it curving north out to sea after the collision with the island, then looping around and winding up along the shore--looks to me like a ship totally out of control. What would cause that kind of movement?

Certainly seems to me like it refutes any idea of Captain heroically bringing ship near the Giglio port, it does not look like any kind of controlled maneuver. Was the ship just drifting with current by then? The Captain seems to have been too busy entertaining his guest and ordering dinner to have ordered some complex event with the anchors.

Every day this gets more curious. Thanks to the posters here for making this the most informative news site I have found. I like to understand how things work, and this group has the best answers.



For correct analysis we must keep in mind the situation just after collision with the rocks. Many engine compartments have been flooded and the question is : what about the condition of the main engines (which are procucing the electrical energy for propulsion, bow thruster and general ship electrical load ? If the ship has lost most of her engines (gensets) then no more propulsion and bow thrusters.

The ship could then have been supplied only by her emergency generator (located on upper deck). The emergency generator supplies the emergency switchboard which in turn supply only safety equipment (water tight doors, emergency lighting, communication systems, steering gear, etc...) In such circumstances, it is impossible to supply electrical energy to bow thrusters because they need let's say a minimum of 1500 kW per thruster and the emergency generator is not designed for this load.

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim
 
We have one company here in Poland which analyses the Costa Concordia accident for our national TV.

Here's what I've just saw on the news:
Costa Concordia accident: possible trajectory

Costa_Concordia_accident_possible_track_trajectory_simulation_50.jpg
 
Last edited:
could one of the real captains here go back to BHere post #444? The video of Concordia course showing it curving north out to sea after the collision with the island, then looping around and winding up along the shore--looks to me like a ship totally out of control. What would cause that kind of movement?
Certainly seems to me like it refutes any idea of Captain heroically bringing ship near the Giglio port, it does not look like any kind of controlled maneuver. Was the ship just drifting with current by then?
The video seems to catch all the features that have been discussed in this thread from the very beginning, congruent with the type of damage visible on the hull (also discussed here).
After the hit, a few minutes of electrical blackout have been reported by testimonies. The engines were probably temporarily disabled, so the ship was moving by inertia, following a trajectory (translation + rotation) one would expect to see when a moving body hits an obstacle in that point (middle-aft, port side).
After the crew managed to get the power back, the ship has reportedly performed a stopping maneuver which has involved anchor towing and (I am guessing here) the use of bow and stern thrusters.
So the video shows the ship's motion in a physically realistic way, imho.
 
The video seems to catch all the features that have been discussed in this thread from the very beginning, congruent with the type of damage visible on the hull (also discussed here).
After the hit, a few minutes of electrical blackout have been reported by testimonies. The engines were probably temporarily disabled, so the ship was moving by inertia, following a trajectory (translation + rotation) one would expect to see when a moving body hits an obstacle in that point (middle-aft, port side).
After the crew managed to get the power back, the ship has reportedly performed a stopping maneuver which has involved anchor towing and (I am guessing here) the use of bow and stern thrusters.
So the video shows the ship's motion in a physically realistic way, imho.

Indeed, I think exactly the same way (after I saw the NavSim reconstruction (see my previous post) this what had happened).
However, I'm not sure about the anchor towing...
 
claro, grazie.

Thank you DCockey and others, the narrated track on the chart explains it all I think. Looks like they did restart engines enough to use bow thrusters and someone on the bridge (and I am betting here it will turn out to be someone other than the idiot Captain) took over and saved many lives by bringing the ship onto the only sandy spot on the shore, close to the port. Probably the same capable officer who switched the mast head lights to red over red, which I think is a telling detail ( and another thanks here to BoatDesign thread).
I think the 'Moldavian girl only to do Russian translation' story will soon fade, sounds like she was ticketed passenger, not a crew member, and Capt was entertaining her with his cool sailing when he got distracted and ..oops.
 
I disagree with the theory of re-start of some gensets (main engines) down below and then supplly electrical energy to bow thrusters, but obviously I may be wrong.

Even if it would have been possible, bow thrusters are giving only side thrust which is not propulsion towards a certain point, juste vessel rotating around her center of rotation.

AIS tracks shown in the previous posts if they are confirmed seems to indicate that the vessel only drifted (due to NNE wind 12 knots according to some sources) until she stopped on the coast.

I must confess I would prefer the hypothesis of some officer trying to bring the vessel ashore because he understood the gravity of the situation, but at time with informations we have I don't believe in this scenario. Furtheore nobody can't tell presently that it was the good thing to do, but it's an other complicate matter.

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim
 
.... not azmuthing pods. Where did I see that?

At Costa Cruise ‘‘all our ships’’ . . . .

The very limited 'spec' pics of all Costa Concordia's sisters show conventional shafts + props and rudders, and three bow thrusters shown on Costa Favolosa's plan. None of them has azimuths drafted the shown plans.

Costa Concordia sisters: Costa Favolosa - Costa Serena - Costa Pacifica - Costa Fascinosa - Carnival Splendor

Blew up the drawings from above links a bit . . . .

_Costa_Favolosa_.JPG _Costa_Serena_.JPG
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - click pics to enlarge

Now you can also see the three stern thrusters in drawing#1 which is the Costa Favolosa, #2 is the Costa Serena, but as I understand it the Costa Concordia, Costa Favolosa, Costa Serena, Costa Pacifica, Costa Fascinosa and the Carnival Splendor are identical or almost identical ships, so the pics represents the Costa Concordia as well.

Cheers,
Angel
 
I disagree with the theory of re-start of some gensets (main engines) down below and then supplly electrical energy to bow thrusters, but obviously I may be wrong.

Even if it would have been possible, bow thrusters are giving only side thrust which is not propulsion towards a certain point, juste vessel rotating around her center of rotation.

AIS tracks shown in the previous posts if they are confirmed seems to indicate that the vessel only drifted (due to NNE wind 12 knots according to some sources) until she stopped on the coast.

I must confess I would prefer the hypothesis of some officer trying to bring the vessel ashore because he understood the gravity of the situation, but at time with informations we have I don't believe in this scenario. Furtheore nobody can't tell presently that it was the good thing to do, but it's an other complicate matter.

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim

The captain states that he intentionally put the ship ashore.

If the drift back in theory is correct it is worrisome as the ship was steered offshore while it still had steerage.

If she had stayed out there she would have simply slipped under.
It may be that by the time the seriousness of the situation was affirmed- it was too late for any active maneuvers: the ship was dead in water with generators and engines off line.
 
Please explain to me what this is.
 

Attachments

  • What.jpg
    What.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14,932
66182d1327070349-last-voyage-costa-concordia-cruise-ship-what.jpg


Stabilator

PS - Armando12 did a better job, he gave a link and was a minute faster :)
but this is the complete link as last ‘‘)’’ has fallen out of Armando's URL ;)​
 
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making any potentially dangerous or financial decision, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

  • Back
    Top