Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I see no oil pollution booms around the ship. Are they presently removing fuel from the ships tanks ? Who is in charge of the salvage operation ?

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

There are inept people in every field. Including ship masters.

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Any word on the missing?

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Very good question, which is still awaiting for an definitive answer. Black box data will probably tell the truth. Some initial testimonies were talking about an electric black-out moments before the impact, but these claims were afterwards largely outnumbered by testimonies about a blackout occurring after the hit.

Still 14 persons officially missing, the count of victims has raised to 6 after three bodies were recovered from the ship today.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My guess is divers will be searching for scrape marks to establish exactly where the collision occured, and where the large piece of rock came from.

One report quoted a local as saying the ship went on the other side of the "island" than was normally used, and that the wrong side of the "island" was too tight. Presumably the "island" he was refering to is the small one which would imply the course was what CatBuilder showed earlier. No idea if the local was actually watching the ship or just speculating.

6. daiquiri

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

The data I saw last night showed the ship went between the two small island and passed much closer to the port side island. Either a lose of control or complete incompetence, and from the alleged behavior and comments made by the captain, I'd say the later. It's hard to conceive of such an error taking place on the bridge of such a vessel with so many soles on board and a billion dollar replacement price tag.

"Truth stranger than fiction."

-Tom

8. Submarine Tom

9. daiquiri

The picture of the damage implies a sideways component of velocity during the hit. The stabilizer is intact, that's what puzzles me. If so, then it would be nearly impossible that they have managed to get it through those two rocks while executing a crash turn.

But, as you said it, a truth might be stranger than fiction in this case.

10. michael pierzga

Navionics. for scale.... The gap between the unnamed island and Scole is 50 meters wide.

I assume Costa hit to reef off the eastern corner of Scole

Attached Files:

11. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

12. daiquiri

Thanks, Michael. You should measure the distance between the isolevels 6m to the left and 4m to the right, between the islands. That's approximately where the hull would have to pass below the water.
    Anyways, the ship's beam is 35 meters, plus the fin stabilizer's lenght. It makes it imho nearly impossible that the captain has managed to steer the ship between the two rock islands without ripping off the stabilizer before the impact.

13. Submarine Tom

No, the ship was north bound, damage is port side. It hit closer to the western, unnamed Island. I looked at so many sites and images last night I can't remember where I saw the track. But if you move your cross hairs due west, you'd be there. Speculatively speaking that is.

-Tom

P.S. As you said Daiquiri, I think the ship had a lot of transfer on during contact.

14. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I tend to agree with the sideways component when it hit. They were in a starboard turn or strong current, looking at the damage. Any current data available?

If in a turn or a current, it does seem improbable that they could slip between the islands. Probably hit the rocks on the outside of the outer island.

Maybe a skip in the gps signal and nobody looked at secondary sources of position information?

Might explain the missing AIS data if the gps skipped out.

I know it happens to me on occasion. The gps will lose position for several minutes, then come back. On this ship, radar would have been a good secondary position unless the outer island is very low.

Eagerly awaiting the black box info.

15. michael pierzga

It would be impossible...insanity to pass between the two islands. I think the ship ran aground on the eastern edge of the reef. As the captain stated he was three hundred meters off the coast. He bounced off the islet to the east

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.