Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Michael, I was thinking the same thing, looking at the following pictures from earlier in the thread. The first picture is the crowd to evacuate on a single deck! Look as far as you can into the distance of the crowd in the picture. The second picture is of the life boats. I wonder how many trips were made through the night to ferry all these 4000 people (minus a few) to shore?

Good thing the hull wasn't breached at sea (not that it really would have been).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I frequently ride SUPER FERIES. Embarking and disembarking these jumbo ferries is a nightmare.

Imagine the future disasters as a result of the new AIRBUS 380 ?????

3. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

di dove é tua moglie?

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Aircraft manufactuers have to demonstrate with real people that their aircraft with maximum number of passengers can be evacuated in something like 90 seconds before the aircraft received its certificate to fly commercially.

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

My wife is mexican. So are her parents. Her grandparents came from europe, Italy on fathers side, Spain on mothers side

6. Gian Milan

I think the problem is not the time to evacuate a ship, but the time of sinking!
    Go to read the end of the Bismark!!
    Then, say if it's not outrageous that a ship with 4300 people on board, made ​​70 years later, sink into an hours becouse of a rock!!
    But how is possible that no one speak about this?

7. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Don't worry, Gian, they will speak about it.
    It has only been a few days since the accident.
    The inquiry will go for many months, and I think that
    it will affect many aspects of ship operation and design.

Have they released his blood-alcohol reading yet?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. Quakey

Quakey New Member

Insurance?

Excuse my ignorance, but if the captain deliberately put the boat into a dangerous position, and the company knew he had done it before and not disciplined him...
    might the insurance not pay out?

9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

10. Gian Milan

They have not yet given the data of cocaine and alcohol. At this very moment, here are 22.30 and watch TV.
    I am furious.
    Schettino, the second and third have gone on a boat with thousands of people on board.
    The priest saw down with iPad and laptop!
    And at this very moment, the Serena, sister of Concordia, Concordia is moving next to !!!!!

11. Gian Milan

Rai 1 (Italian National TV): In this moment you can see Serena, sister of Concord, which passes. The ships are seen simultaneously. Some survivors are crying in the studio.
    Are 22:39.

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Sounds like a media circus is in full motion. The captain & ships crew should be given blood tests. No doubt about that. This is routine procedure for such incidents.

13. Gian Milan

Sure they have done. But data are not yet public.

14. StephenRCA

StephenRCA New Member

Like other people I have joined boatdesign.net because of the very high quality of discussion on this incident, which I've been following since Sunday morning. Any expertise I have is only indirectly relevant, but I have some questions which I don't think have been discussed yet - please excuse me if I've missed a relevant post.

The first concerns Italian accident investigation procedures - I think the ship was Italian-flagged. In the UK we have the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, which looks for the complete causal chain, and lessons to be learned, but does not specifically seek to establish blame. Its report are not admissible in court. This is an important condition of its role in developing maritime safety. The MAIB seems to be generally well-respected, and its existence avoids the need for special public inquiries except in the worst cases.

First: does Italy have an equivalent body?
    Second: It would be useful to hear the professional view on the effectiveness and relevance of the MAIB or its Italian equivalent.

I also haven't spotted any discussion yet of the ship manager's (I assume Costa Cruises) role in the establishment, implementation and audit of the Safety Management System and the IMO ISM code. I was struck by an MAIB report - on a collision between a North Sea ferry and a fishing vessel (Scottish Viking / Homeland). The primary causes centred on deficiencies by the 2nd Officer in collision avoidance practices. However, the investigation also took the view that the while the company had included an appropriate navigation policy in its SMS, it had not done enough to check for or encourage compliance, specifically through random audit of Voyage Data Recorder data. The second officer's action were in breach of the SMS as well as being poor seamanship.

The report includes the following:

Visemar had provided comprehensive guidance and well-documented procedures for the vessel to maintain a safe navigational watch. It also required the master to implement and ensure compliance with its navigation policy ...

The last internal audit of Scottish Viking was carried out on 21 June 2010 while the vessel was alongside. Elements of navigation policy or procedures ... were not audited. Operational procedures of a navigational nature are best audited while the vessel is underway.

The ICS’s ‘Guidelines [on application of ISM] recommends companies to formally evaluate mandatory monitoring equipment such as VDR data, which can be easily downloaded. Unscheduled audits of this data can help identify complacent attitudes and poor procedures, which can then be addressed.

EU directive 2009/18/EC4 encourages the use of VDR data for accident investigation and also as a preventative tool. The directive advocates the routine examination of VDR data to enable experience to be gained of the circumstances capable of leading to accidents or incidents. Such examination provides incontrovertible information on watchkeeping standards under normal operating conditions.

imo random audit of VDR data might be more useful as an "aid to concentration" than a detector of occasional bad practice - and even this ship didn't spend a lot of its time buszzing rocky islands at high speed. However, do the professional mariners regard this audit approach as appropriate or practical? If yes, is it relevant to Costa Cruises' liability in the Costa Concordia case - i.e. did they have a duty to know about their captain's manouevring practices?

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I for one am grateful Gian translated. I was doing it a word at a time very slowly until he posted. Appreciate google very much for this service.

Yobarnacle, we were just discussing a day or two before the accident about these floating hotels. Now you see why I hold that opinion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.