Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

The crew said that immediately after, there was a blackout and didn't see the captain after that. Maybe he hid under the woman's skirt?

1 person likes this.
  2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

LOL except it's not funny. My laughter is derisive!

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

A third grader asked why does the captain go down with his ship. This was voted the best answer posted on yahoo answers. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080903161659AAB7YIi

It seems to hold with the collective mores.

"That's a mostly unfounded tale. Captains rarely go down with the ship. They save themselves too if they can. However, as some of the above posts indicated, a captain should see to everyone else's safety first. If they can't get everyone else off safely by the time the ship goes, down, they may be going down as well. In the case of the titanic they did not have enough lifeboats for everyone."

4. Yobarnacle

In other centuries, captains elected to go down with their ships for financial reasons. Same as richmen threw themselves from skyscraper offices in the great depression. Couldn't face a life of poverty after having and losing everything.

5. rxcomposite

I think it is time to ask the question. The Brits calls it Master. The Americans, and most other nationalities calls it Captain. I get mixed up and gets corrected sometimes, because of different bosses. So who calls Master and Captain?

6. Yobarnacle

Correct term is master. captain was from days when ships were armed and had a military commander. The sailing master was under him and responsible for managing the ship.

Naval vessels have a CO. Commanding officer. His rank may be captain. Or commander, lieutenant, warrant bosun, ect

7. rxcomposite

Not anymore. They hide so they can be declared missing/dead instead of being imprisoned. There are reports that ship owners encourage this and even pay the captain to "vanish and retire". This is what the captain is trying to do. Escape.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I don't know if there is a correct term. Its cultural. Master infers colonialism and slavery. Be careful with terms when operating internationaly . Captain is all purpose.

9. hoytedow

In Spain isn't the maestro the schoolmaster or professor?
    Why should it have a negative connotation?

10. Yobarnacle

People want attention to their "wounds", real or imagined. The notion that your grandfather mistreated mine so you owe me something shouldn't carry any weight, but? IT does in today's world! Se la vie

11. hoytedow

Que lastima!

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Master ? are you a Chess Master, Golf Master, Master Boatbuilder , a Master Baiter ?

Master has little connection to the sea.

Recently a friend took over command of a 60 meter yacht. The deck and engineering department was staffed by Filipino seamen. The management company informed the captain that he would alienate himself from the Filipino crew if he refers to himself as MASTER...use captain. Language and culture is difficult. always use generic, easy to understand words.

13. hoytedow

Comprendo.

14. Yobarnacle

LOL Michael. I use captain. My license says master mariner. Actually, I instuct my crew to call me Dave. I don't have captain sewn on any shirts or belts or caps. If my crew doesn't know who the captain is, I must be doing it wrong! LOLO

15. rxcomposite

Agree Michael. To me a Master is a "Lord", which means absolute authority over me. But if he wants to be called Master, I would call him so, silently ommiting the word "baker".:p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.