just getting started.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by raysmith480, Nov 9, 2005.

1. raysmith480

raysmith480 New Member

hi, my name is ray smith. i'm a second year mechanical engineering student in maryland. i work part-time at ocean options, which is service shop for both power and sail vessels. my goal is to learn as much as i can about the boating industry before i graduate and begin working for my father. he is the owner of gulfstream yacht service inc. in new bern, nc. i hope to someday either take over my father's business or start one of my own. any suggestions?

regards,

ray smith

2. Guy G

Guy G Junior Member

Well I never went to college for building boats. I have alot of exp. in the field and it cool to know how to design them but if you want to know if what you have on the computer works and how it works, go and get a job in the shop building them. Then you'll have working knowledge of not only the construction but also of the people doing your building and see how they work to finish what it is you have designed. If your going to take over the shop, you need to know all you can from start to finish.
    I wish you the Best!

3. raysmith480

raysmith480 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm working in a shop now. Before I was a college student, I was a naval nuclear reactor mechanical operator. when i needed to work on a valve, or pump, etc. I always had a good reference of how the pump works and how to fix it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is are there any good technical manuals for the marine world. ie. marineair espar, HRO...

4. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Another important avenue to explore is working outside the marine field for a couple of years (say 5 years so you can get your state engineering licence) then coming back. When you make your triumphant return to the marine industry you....will be horrified. Tech manuals are usually free, but some good ones are worth paying the $15-$20. The ones from pro-balsa, brunswick, etc... cost but they have good engineering guidelines in them. Lots of pre-engineered systems such as headhunter toilets have good manuals too, but they take the fun out of things like calculating pressure loss in plumbing, and compensating of pressure head caused by being below the waterline.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.