Installing LPG in boats in America.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, Sep 5, 2004.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

LPG to run inboard motors,and for cooking and heating.Regulations for this are hard to find.

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Have you tried US Coast Guard or ABYC?

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As far as I know because LPG is denser than air, it isn't legal for heating or cooking. There may be some exemptions; for example in an open boat.

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

New Zealand is draughting Regulations on this matter,using Austraian thinking as a draught for proposed Regulations.Where U.S.A,U.K,Australia go we usually go.Information supplied is great and I have most of it.I should have been more precise as I am interested in Federal Register Proposed Regulations,the future direction of marine applications,such as Proposed Control of Emissions From Spark-Ignition Marine Vessels and Highway Mototcycles.Notice of proposed rulmaking.WWW.wards.co.nz/propane.htm has interesting information.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Usa + Lpg

The bigest hassle you will have is there is NO infrastructure to refuel at any dock.

Most folks cook with propane ,and a very few refrigerate with absorbtion (RV ) fridges.

The 20# bottle , is only 4.3 Gal of propane , great for months of cooking or about a month of fridge.

But at only 90,000 btu per gal , would not push a boat far.

Why would you WANT propane as propulsion fuel?

FAST FRED

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

LPG used for motors is usually 50 percent of Butane and Propane,giving 102 Octane fuel.see www.lpg-boats.co.uk www.autogasmarine.com/tecnnical
    Propane is usually recomended for cooking.Alternative fuels are a necessary option in some countries and can be cheaper to operate.There are EFI fuel systems (using liquid injected) LPG available,and can be much safer than gasoline.Some tourist boats in NZ use LPG.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What makes them safer?

9. Dutch Peter

To my opinion, nothing makes them safer. We're talking about a pressurized gas that is highly combustible (is that why they use it?!), noxious and forms a high explosion risk!
    Small canisters for cooking, provided they're stored properly and the gasline (copper or hose) is installed properly and maintained, fine.
    You wanna live atleast a bit dangerous, but a 35 ltr tank for propulsion, I don't like the idea!
    Here in Holland the LPG stations are slowly being dismantled by a discouragement policy by our government.
    This is because of the high risks of having a lpg station in a highly populated area and the transport of the stuff.
    I would definitively vote against such systems on boats!

1 person likes this.
  10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

LPG can be safer than gasoline.The regulations of most countries would require LPG installation and maintenance to be carried out by qualified trades people,for both motor and cooking and heating,as with motor vehicles.LPG fuel systems for boats would be dedicated marine systems,with safety systems included in the Electronic Engine Managenent System.Fuel cylindres are available with sealed systems against leaking.Refuelling stations are well supervised by trained staff.Components of LPG systems are well regulated by manafacturer standards.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

So is gas.

12. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Octane Propane and Butane?

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010226m.cfm

13. Dutch Peter

I don't know what they do in New Zealand, but here in Holland there is no scheme of checking installations on board of pleasure craft!
    That's to my opinion the biggest danger. I feel it's much safer to have people maintain their fuel system in stead of their gas systems!
    There are not a lot of people who will hire qualified trades people for maintenance.

14. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

What? Is that a Dutch cultural thing? Ha ha ha

Seriously though, there are people I know who wouldn't think of tampering with the gas plumbing in their homes. But put them in a boat with a propane galley stove, and they try to do almost suicidal things with it. Maybe there have been better examples of homes being blown from their foundations than boats being blown out of the water.

15. Dutch Peter

Well Thunder,

You hit the nail on the head! You know how copperwire was invented......
    two Dutchmen fiting over a cent!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.