I'm back to the sea!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Omar, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Omar

Omar Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    My name is Omar, 27 years old, from Abu Dhabi the capital city of the United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi is a nice Persian Gulf coastal city, it is only 140 Km away from Dubai the trade City of the UAE. My family is sea loving family and has been dependent on it for the past few centuries. My Forefathers were pearls divers and fishermen, after the spreading of the man-made pearls my father started a sea fairing and trading businesses with near and far countries since he was 9 years old. When the oil industry started in the UAE in the 1950s my father switched to boat building and the selling of the marine and fishing equipments. During that he has been in different marine related businesses such as Lobestering in Tanzania and now in a little island called Socatra in Yemen. Since I was little I loved the sea and when my father used to travel they told me that I used to tell him that I want you to bring me a sea with you. I grew up in a very busy city and the marine life seems to be an old hobby and less class, so I didn't pay to much attention to the marine life or to my father business, after I finished high school I got a marine biology scholarship and of course I chose Florida since it has same climates as my country and many marine biology schools, I stayed there in a nice town called Melbourne and went deep sea fishing many times with a famous fisherman their his name is Captin Cruise (hello captin)and every time me and my friends went out with him we catch many big fish. From 1996 to 2002 I have been looking for my happiness and I was In Florida searching for it so I went from subject to subject and changed my major many times and it was the computer and internet era and all my friends chose that field. I have switched my hobbies many times during that time I started with scuba diving, then computer, political since, poultry, plane building and then lost interest of almost everything. I have not finished my school because when I went there I knew that attendance was optional, and it took me 7 years to understand that graduation was also optional. :D (I was bad student) I came back to my country with an AA degree in general education. :confused: Anyway few days ago I was with my friends in a coffee shop and a video clip was playing on TV and I saw a very nice little boat that has brought back the love of the sea to me again, I think it was a Cris Craft classic boat and watching that boat for few seconds I knew that my happiness is in the sea, I have tried many fields just to know that being mariner is a wonderful thing and I think its genetic. So I searched the net and I found out that BoatDesign.net is the best place that will be able to bring me back to were I belong because of the wonderful members and nice information they provide, now I feel like the fish which has been released back to the sea :) . At last, I am very happy to be a member of your community and I am sure, with you I will make my father proud of me as a real seaman.

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Omar,

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to get opinions on an idea or guidence from a growing number of experenced boat lovers.

Gary :D

3. dasere2001

dasere2001 Guest

wanting to bulid a boat on a limited income and land locked!

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!
    I live in oklahoma and I want to sail around the world but I don't have the funds to buy a boat! so I thought I could bulid one. where I live there are huge forest with a lot of wood. All I would need os the tools! so I would appreacite if you would send me you advice or maybe some plans?
    thanks,
    jack

4. dasere2001

dasere2001 Guest

5. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Well, you should have a wood kiln, so you'd have to build that first, then you could probably make all your caulking etc the old fasioned way with pitch etc....Stealing wood from federal forest reserves is exciting, I'd recommend it to thrillseekers everywhere. You could even get away with not buying any nails if you make trunnels. Sails probably should be made from the proper stuff though.
    .....Sorry, I'm having caffein related technical dificulties....
    There are really a lot of ancient techniques that you could use to make everything you need though.