Icelandic Ice-Breaker

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by mark775, Sep 10, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm, yes the crane has some worth and could easily be taken off. But you can make that offer later anyway.

2. Patsy Bolling

Patsy Bolling New Member

Icelandic ice breaker

Is Mark still interested in knowledge of this vessel ALBERT?
    Please contact me....I'll check in tomorrow.
    Patsy

3. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

Did you serve on ALBERT in the coast guard Patsy?

http://www.lhg.is/frettirogutgafa/frettir/nr/2432 says ALBERT is somewhere in Seattle now. This is a rough translation:

Rescue and patrol vessel Albert, built for the Coast Guard and ICE Iceland in 1956 "found" recently Lake Union in Seattle. The ship was newbuilding no. 2 in steel factory and was used by the Coast Guard until 1978 when the ship was sold. The owners of the vessel sailed the ship to the U.S. and had a file in Iceland at the end of 1980. One can say that there was a boat "lost". Gudmundur Green Agnarsson mate with Coast Guard has searched for information and got the confirmation yesterday and a picture of the ship. Named Albert and the ship still has its registered home port in Seattle. Was drawn in autumn 2011 to Seattle from town Homer, Alaska, where it has lain largely unused for 22 years. Do not know about what is to be done with the ship.

Attached Files:

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Mark has left the forum.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Last I heard Mark was living in Homer which may have initiated his interest in this vessel.

6. Patsy Bolling

Patsy Bolling New Member

Not only did I serve aboard ALBERT, we owned her for a few years and gave her a full refit out of Florida, sailed the East Coast, winters chartering as a dive ship out of Costa Rica.
    I am interested really interested in her well being and whereabouts. Do you believe her to still be in Seattle? I will research that fact a little further.

7. ronalddevermann

ronalddevermann New Member

albert

I was survey party manager on the Albert for 3 summers on the us east coast.We surveyed the continental shelf 360 miles offshore R.I.,Mass.,and N.J.. I have been looking for approximately 10 years on info got frustratedthought I'd try again and here I am.I've posted numerous pictures of my surveys on my facebook site hoping to share with the crew.The captain"owner" name was Sigurd Thorsteinson"Siggi". He bought the boat in early eights and he and along with his entire family operated it.It was a grand time.Went thru 50 foot seas 360 miles off shore and am here to tell about it.Please contact me on all info on boat and crew.

Thank you Ron

8. Patsy Bolling

Patsy Bolling New Member

Re:ALBERT

We owned ALBERT from 1985-1988. Major refit. Then chartered her till sold. Lived in Long Beach, Ca. For a few years, until sold and went to Alaska for the Exxon oil spill. Sold again, and we saw her 1998 laid up in Homer.
    Yes, heard she was towed to Seattle, but can't find her there and hope she didn't go there for scrap. I'm still looking