Ibex 2003

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by duluthboats, Sep 25, 2002.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Along with the latest issue of Professional BoatBuilder I received a flyer for IBEX 2003. Is this something a guy with a little more than amateur interest in small boats would enjoy? Or is it aimed only at the big manufactures? I would like to hear from anyone who has been to one, and those planning to attend this on

http://ibexshow.com/

2. Guest

Guest Guest

NOBODY?????

3. snakefeet

snakefeet Junior Member

IBEX 2002

I went to IBEX in Ft. Lauderdale for the first time last year and I enjoyed it. If I can swing it, I'll go next year too. I don't know what your interests are but for what its worth, here's what I saw.

Boat stuff. Lots of boat stuff. It was a very large hall full of booths, each of them full of some sort of boat stuff. Building materials. Finishes. Deck hardware. Fishing gear. Boat design schools. CNC shops. Ground tackle. Electronics. Hydraulics. Core materials. Software. Resins. And probably many things that I have forgotten. Upstairs was a smaller hall full of more boat stuff and meeting halls where presentations were held.

Imagine a basketball stadium full of people who want to show you things and give you flyers in hopes that you will buy from them.

But don't get me wrong; it is a good time. You can just wander around and take it all in, or look for specific kinds of vendors and gather information about products that interest you. Plus there are many chances to schmooze and make connections with other boat people. And though the exhibitors are there to make contact with potential customers, I never saw anyone being ignored because their name tag didn't say "Bayliner" or "Catalina" under their name.

If you build, repair or design boats, it is a good place to look for new ways of approaching old problems, or to soak in random ideas so they can occur to you later and help you solve future problems. (I wander around in hardware stores now and then for that reason. Having said that, I hope I'm not the only one.....) If you have a boat or two and like to tinker on them it would probably still be interesting but you'll have to think through the costs for yourself.

I hopes this helps you, duluthboats. Now, did anybody else go? I thought I saw some other people there ;)

4. duluthboats

Wow, finally, I was starting to think it was all add hype. Thanks, snakefeet, the wife wants to go somewhere warm this winter. I’m not much for tanning at the beach. IBEX 2003 might be a compromise.

“I wander around in hardware stores now and then for that reason.”
    LOL! Don’t you hate it when the clerk interrupts just when an idea is starting to form? :D

Gary

5. duluthboats

BUMP! :D

6. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Duluth, I think you would enjoy it and learn some also. I have not been there myself for a few years.

7. duluthboats

Well I’m registered and I have a room on the beach. If the airport isn’t snowed in I’ll be in boat builder heaven for a few days.

Gary :D

8. Timm

Timm Senior Member

Gary,

I am in the process of setting up a trip to IBEX as well, although I will be driving down as I am moving back to Florida next week (Crystal River). I am meeting a friend there who happens to be from Duluth and is thinking of starting a boat company. Small world Huh?

9. duluthboats

From Duluth, as in, he moved? Or is he still there? This area is getting depressed fast. If he is still here I would like to meet him. If not maybe we could have lunch at the show.

10. Kazulin

Kazulin Junior Member

Great place to go and I'm quite certain you will learn alot.
    We are not going this year so perhaps you could post a summary of your
    experience when you return.
    Have a good time.

11. riverside

riverside Junior Member

4 more days til IBEX!!!

12. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Someone is excited.............. :D

13. duluthboats

Florida, here I come, goodbye sunless snow covered wasteland, goodbye frozen septic system. I’m off line until Sunday.

IBEX!!!!......................:D :D :D

14. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hope you have a great trip!

We'll expect a full report when you get back :)

15. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I guess I'll be going too. Last second decision. Does anyone know what days Gary will be there??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.