I have a dream - how to build it?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 5, 2006.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I have a dream.

I'm guessing chances are you have a dream too. The boat design dot net galleries are full of them.

What's the difference between a dream and reality?

Funding, money, cash (FMC).

With FMC you can put together talent, buy the experience you lack and make connections, the connections you need to get things done. Because it's not what you know, it's who you know.

I don't know anyone, they don't know me.

I have a dream, you have a dream.

Help me figure this out, and help yourself at the same time.

Link -1 :
    http://www.acq.osd.mil/sadbu/sbir/

Link - 2:
    http://www.burdeshaw.com/services/

About link-1; DoD SBIR & STTR Programs.......................I've read a few things in there before, most of it went over my head. I suspect the request have been written for a pacticular firm or university in mind and not qualified outside competition, and least of all a dreamer tinkering in his garage.

About link-2; I think this is what they call an "inside track" firm. You actually hire or purchase your required connections - money talks, right? Takes money to make money, blah blah blah. Is this the correct perception? Maybe I should just call them up or e-mail.........WTF, what do I have to lose?

We could get into a chicken and egg type discussion, A & B.

A; I have a great design on paper, built a few models, conducted a few experiments - gee it would be nice to screw around with this full time for a few years. How do I do this without a rich wife?

B; I'd like to screw around for a few years while I go through a mid-life crisis, what vehicle can allow me to do this? (sarcasm)

NOTE: Your thoughts may be as serious or as silly as you wish - don't be affraid to think outside the box. Or better yet inside the box - how have other people made their dreams come true?

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Depending on how big it is, there's a few designers out there that will help you with a full size hull that you could build yourself.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

Rental property, minimalist lifestyle, relocate to a third world country ... with happy people who are willing to work and has raw materials available or will let you import containers as an individual. Keep things small and stay a small person and one can do about what you want without some government slob coming to pick on you. Don't get married. Kids in a first world counrty are expenisive. Don't own a car (insurance mafia will bleed you). No ego, eat lots of rice, some zen.

Madagascar. Sri Lanka, Asia ?

Where did I go wrong? married, living in france (expensive and cold), people are agressive (overrun by algerians)

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Perhaps I should rename this thread: How to I become filthy rich and do anything I want.

Adding to the list of thoughts:

Link-3 (a random Google search):
    http://www.businessfinance.com/private-investment-capital.htm

Link-4:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_company

About link-3:
    Private Investment Capital (Venture), we all read the stories how an inventor loses power over his creation/business and eventually becomes hounded by the IRS and investors.

About link-4:
    Publicly traded company, the last phase unless you are looking for trouble or want to end up like Delorean or something.

Not many of the people I've read about "making it" have had MBA's to start out with. MBA's are taught to follow the rules, entrepreneur's have a habit of breaking the rules and bucking the herd mentality. Or is that just how it looks from the outside looking in?

Build it and they will come?

ASIDE; Cute Quote:
    http://www.planetrealtor.com/Florida/FLRealtorMagazine/SGMarketingPlan03.cfm
    Question: Does it really matter what your dream is? Isn't there a standard formula to success one must follow?

Okay, I'm going back to work now, someone is waiting for their house plans.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

So that's how Sammy bin Liner and his mates get their funding!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The United Arab Emmeriates and the Saudi Arabia gave much support to OBL. However the CIA gave training and money for decades. In fact the year prior to 9/11/2001 the terrorist were being given flying lessons in Florida paid by the US tax payers..........the reporter who followed this money trail and discovered these links has somehow faded away from public memory.

This is not what I had in mind, but I do know deep pockets when I see them.;)

7. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

"The United Arab Emmeriates and the Saudi Arabia gave much support to OBL."

kach22i, from where do you have the information about the support to Osama from the Emirates ?

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Found this thing called DARPA............funded lots of cool things over the years (like the Sea Shadow).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Advanced_Research_Projects_Agency

Questions I should be asking..........................................

http://www.darpa.mil/ato/contact.htm

# What are you trying to accomplish?

# How is it done now, and with what limitations?

# What is truly new in your approach which will remove current limitations and improve performance? How much will performance improve?

# If successful, what difference will it make?

# What are the mid-term, final exams or full scale applications required to prove your hypothesis? When will they be done?

# How could this transition to the end user? (usually DoD)

# How much will it cost?

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

See this thread:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10499

Note: the UAE kicked out a CNN reporter last week - he was asking too many hard questions. Apparently not all of Osma bin Laden's support was pre-9/11/2001 although we have been told they have been cooperating since then - I want to know the truth, we deserve to know the facts.

EDIT: UAE government, citizens and policies may not all be in step, troubling to say the least. Then again I'm not much in step with everything my government does either.

10. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Thanks kach22i for the interesting informations...

11. Deering

Deering Senior Member

But Nero...

You are well on your way to completing a very cool boat... so you didn't go completely wrong.

And I might be wrong, but I think France is warmer than Illinois.

Maybe Costa Rica?

12. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Dream and develop it la...what so hard..?Cannot get big one..get small one..cannot get rich wife ..get rich husband la..what so hard ?No money to make steel boat..make from wood..still not enough..make from recycle plastic..still not happy..steal one la..sure there is someway to get one.. haiya.. must work hard ma..dream dream dream..after wake up still go to work ma..steal one..solve poblem..! All those Sama sama..let them be la..they also businees..must hev good man and no good man..than onli can businees..

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Dreaming is cheap and easy, it's that other stuff I've always had a problem with.

I think it was the Moody Blues who had that song in the 1960's..............Dreaming is the best way to travel.

Guess they were right.

14. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

NOP......... Dreamer is pain in the A55 and they are the one that built something while other scorn and say nay..........................and actually shock the world:D:D:D

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Man I gotta tell ya ;for everyone that told me (you cant do that)I was a 98lb wrestler in ohio,,, they said you cant be a green beret your too small ,,,,4yrs.then they said (you know how much fish ya gatta catch to make a living?),,,,,,,,10yrs later , now they are all laughing at my 32ft sailboat in my yard,,they say ,,no water here boy, and I say no **** dick tracy. im going to the chesapeack. for kiks and grins see longliner45long version , yea it pissis off the neibours , but it makes me happy,,buy the way while i was gone seeing the world and came back home ,the same dumbasses are still squaking. go for it ,you only live once,