How to make a biltong maker.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Fanie, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It seems the type of bread plays a big part. The type I used would not be revived, even if steamed in a pressure cooker, the bread simply got tougher.

Perhaps one should stick to these flat pancake type bread-y things... don't know what they're called. Seems more like a skin to keep the filling together.

Nothing like fresh baked bread though... Attached a pot bread I baked on the solar dish.

Attached Files:

2. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

I wonder if it is something to do with the gluten...

Modern flour has way higher gluten levels and that makes fluffier bread,
    (hence the growing number of gluten intolerant folks)

If I remember it correctly, when you kneed the bread you untangle the gluten molecules making the dough much more tough and rubbery - but that is a good thing as it traps the gas CO2 from fermenting yeast making the bread rise...

So unleavened bread, like Pita and other flatbread, that don't rely on fermentation will be less prone to the toughness - they don't need the gluten.

Indian bread is often made with a flour that comes not from wheat but from ground chick peas - gram flour. again an unleavened bread (Chapati's Nann and Roti). The other benefit is that without the kneeding, resting and proving required for yeast based recipes, those flatbreads are ready in a much shorter time - under 25 min start to finish... rolled flat like a pancake (you dip a dough ball in a little oil and then roll out two pressed together at the same time to get them really thin, then peel apart) - cooked in a dry frying pan without oil...
    Makes it barely worth messing about with resurrecting dessicated bread.

Thinking about it the only non dry ingredient (other than water) is yogurt and that too can be had as a freeze dried powder...

Pot bread looks delicious - homemade bread never keeps very well - somebody always eats it before it gets a chance to spoil (and more often than not, even before it has a chance to cool!):D

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Dehydrated bread is called flour. Reconstitute with water, yeast, and a bit of salt and then bake.;)

Seriously, though, I carry a box of Stouffer's stuffing mix when I camp. It can be added to anything and make it tasty, or just pour a 1/4 cup of warm water on it an you have a midnight snack.

Bread tomato soup- ala the Contessa. Everything except the wine and oil can be dehydrated.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pappa-al-pomidoro-recipe.html

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I just knew it has been done before !

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.