Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Community > Open Discussion: All Things Boats & Boating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Rep: 264 Posts: 922
How can an American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?

Buy CHEAP I mean under $30,000USD, which is what I imagine is above average housing in most places.

All the houses I've looked at in Mexico, Thailand, Brazil are all 5 bedroom, 6 bath houses selling for at least a 1/2 million US dollars.

Is there any practical why for Westerners to buy a typical local house at "local" prices and live in it?

Would plopping down in a non-Western-expat neighborhood cause a Westerner nothing but grief, and possibly his life?

What about out in the country a little more?

Any farmers or fishermen leasing or renting modest dwellings off the Full Price Western Style house market?

Figure I'd be open to combining this with teaching English one or two days a week or something, if just give locals a reason to delay running me out of town.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly-Diddly View Post
Buy CHEAP I mean under $30,000USD, which is what I imagine is above average housing in most places.

All the houses I've looked at in Mexico, Thailand, Brazil are all 5 bedroom, 6 bath houses selling for at least a 1/2 million US dollars.
n.

Look harder, most housing in third world countries can not be owned by a foreigner.

In thailand there is many houses for sale starting way low like 10,000 but it would be in Thai community.

You can buy in your name a condo providing the total foreign ownership of the building is not more that 49 foreign owned. If it is and you still want to buy you will need to do the following

To buy land you need to make a company with acceptable liabilities of the amount of the property owned. You then need 2 Thai partners who will own 51% of your company. Then take their resignation letters and have them sign power of attorney.

Most people I know use the company method ,but there are more ways such as owning a house in your name ( acceptable ) but not the land but rent it.

Or buy the land in a friends name and be the mortgagee. Your name will be registered in the 'Tabian' (deeds). Selling without your permission is illegal.

Condos are ubiquitous.

Google property in Thailand.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Previous Member

I recently heard the USA has 'em for $9500 through the bank if that's third world enough for ya.

-Tom
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Naval Architect

Rep: 2325 Posts: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly-Diddly View Post
Is there any practical why for Westerners to buy a typical local house at "local" prices and live in it?
I have worked in many of "these" places. The difference being i went back top either my nice comfortable hotel or a nice accommodation block in the shipyard (when remote). The thing that separates these from the locals, apart from the cost..is the clean sanitation and water.

Their houses are fine...but the living standards "we" western people have become accustomed too are rarely seen in such places. The cost of such would of course mean living in a more palatial location....ie higher prices.

If you want to live ina local house, you will have to live like a local, in every sense. Throw away your comfortable sanitised world of living. If you can put up with that...its ok.

I had some Friends who lived on a beach hut, well almost a beach hut. They had one single 30watt light bulb. The loo, was outside....in the surrounding mangrove and jungle, we had to trek 500m to the water pump. We cooked before it got dark...and woke up when it got light. It is cheap...and there are better versions of this, still nice and cheap. But the sanitation and water and surroundings do not change much..just a better quality building and larger.

It is not the price of the house...it is how you live and whether you are prepared to make the transition of clean running water etc...for none.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Previous Member

Well, you can always try north Florida ($20k) or Detroit ($6k average).

Seriously, it cones down to all the difficulty of owning land if not a citizen as well as immigration issues. Many times you are required to proce your financial fortitude too.

Hope to see more responses like Frosty.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Previous Member

buddy of mine moved to Mexico, Copper Canyon, bought a house for about $10,000 US and lives pretty well doing running tours through the area. He hangs out in Boulder during the summer and runs a small landscaping company winters in Mexico. You couldn't drag him away from the lifestyle. So go for it Squidly, I bet you have a great time with it and if you've got to manage with an outhouse, whats the big deal. People been living with abbreviated amenities for a lot longer than not.

best of luck and keep up posted

Oh and ya I've seen some "American" prices as well when I used to spend a lot of time in Mexico. Its a scam don't let the water purifier and septic field fool you. Its not that expensive to put them in if you just gotta have them. But it might set you apart from the locals.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Seņor Junior Member

Rep: 2340 Posts: 4,764
The farther from salt water you live, the more third world it becomes.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM

Rep: 2105 Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytedow View Post
The farther from salt water you live, the more third world it becomes.
The burly yeomen of Nebraska just gave you the finger!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Previous Member

Until you know the local laws you are just dreaming. It is quite likely you will not be able to own the land if you are not of that country. And even when you get that sorted out you will most likely be subject to racism,--mild or aggressive does'nt matter it exist.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:40 AM

Rep: 273 Posts: 793
Quote:
How can a White American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?
What has skin colour got to do with anything?
Do you think Black, Red, Yellow and Green Americans have some sort of advantage over you?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Previous Member

Well now that you mention it Sabah it does seem to have a relevant effect on purchasing power. My friend who bought land in Mexico had been wintering in copper canyon for many years and was an important part of the local economy. I guess he's been doing tours for quite some time to the area so he'd bring in tourist dollars with his biz. That and he's a really personable guy. I think he dealt with the local sheriff or whatever they have down there when he was buying the house. Not sure what all the particulars are but I know he breezed through it. Said it was easier than buying one here in the states.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabahcat View Post
What has skin colour got to do with anything?
Do you think Black, Red, Yellow and Green Americans have some sort of advantage over you?
Sure would. I could more easily get settled into a northern European country, as an American of Thai descent could more easily settle in Thailand. If you are of the same race as the place you plan to move, you will fit in better.

You're living in fantasy land if you ignore race/ethnicity your whole life. Look back at Frosty's last post. He knows what he's talking about because he's doing it.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
Might be worth checking out Albania. Fly to Greece...Corfu...jump a ferry to Saranda Albania, rent a motorbike then explore the region around Butrint.

http://www.butrint.org/beyond_1_0.php
Old 12-24-2011, 07:32 AM
I try

Rep: 404 Posts: 1,397
I am glad the original poster is not moveing to Europe as to describe himself as a White American would get him into big trouble ....

dont you just love it the americans think they rule to world ....

Moderator should have killed this post on site of the title ....

Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Seņor Junior Member

Rep: 2340 Posts: 4,764
This would cause no controversy: How can a Non-white American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?