How can an American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 22, 2011.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Sherlock Holmes Territory

Nice to know we read from the same book.When you watch the new Meryl Streep movie [Maggie Thatcher] I hope you will still be reading from it.She was no savior believe me,more like a Dictator,she caused a lot of misery here.I have been a bricklayer most of my working life,and worked hard to aquire a house and decent lifestyle,I lost everything when Maggie came to power.Cameron is of the same spawn.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Sorry to hear that. I hope you recouped in the 30 years since Maggie.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Those fingers of yours must be like a herd of cats! I know you meant 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

"A small, white duck goes into a bar, jumps on the barstool, orders a shot of booze and says to the bartender 'listen, I'm a bricklayer on the construction site nearby. The works will last for some time and I'll be coming here every day around lunchtime for a shot of booze, so think about some discount or something'. The duck drinks the shot, jumps off the stool and goes out. The bartender is shocked, he's never seen a talking duck before, so he calls his friend who owns a circus: 'listen, there's a talking duck coming to my bar, come tomorrow around lunchtime and see for yourself'. So the next day the circus owner waits in the bar and the duck goes in, jumps on the barstool and orders a shot of booze. The circus manager overcomes his awe and says: 'Hello sir, I'm a circus owner and I want to offer you a job. I can give you whatever money you want, plus a company car, a cell phone, best hotels, best women, whatever you want'. The duck considers his offer for a moment and says 'so you're a circus owner, right?' 'Right' 'And your circus is one of those big tents, right?' 'Right.' 'With a sandy arena in the middle?' 'Yes' 'And with rows of seats around?' 'Correct' 'So what the %*^* you need a bricklayer for?"

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/80508850/

We could use a Maggie Thatcher! What an improvement she would be over who we have now!

5. Yobarnacle

You're right.
    I'm so relieved. I had the wrong adress. Explains a lot! All the letters I sent to the President telling him how bad he was messing up, came back "Don't Live Here".
    I thought they was dissin me.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Margret Thatcher was the daughter of a shop keeper and a shop keeper she was. She believed that every one should own their own house and offered council houses to all, even to those too dumb to understand they they were on a stepping stone to riches.

Unfortunately this Tory attitude to own property and stocks and not booze it up down the pub fell,-- yet it was a good idea failed more so from the ignorance of the common man that should have been better under the labour government and rent subsidies that they understand.

And so was born the horrible word negative equity, a house worth less than the mortgage.

Not her fault? well she under estimated the stupidity of the common man, and in England there is enough of them to make a big difference.

7. Yobarnacle

IMHO
    The secret of a happy, healthy life is balance.
    Balanced diet. Balanced budget. Balanced hours of work, recreation, sleep. Balance in everything.
    Balance is difficult if something is top heavy.
    Like the government.

8. valvebounce

Maggie

My wife could'nt handle the situation,she was used to spending like she had two pairs of arms,we split up 10yrs ago.I have been on my own for the last 10yrs.I have a daughter in Liverpool,I spent Christmas there,we get on great.We read from the same book,she is quite "Arty"and has her own website.I have an old 60's speedboat I am sorting out,so when I need some "decals" on it she will airbrush it for me.
    I picked the peices up after I left the wife,but time had caught me up,too late to start over.I cant be the only one who's life was torn apart by Maggie Thatcher,thousands of people lost their homes and carears,the devastation reached much further than met the eye.I dont think she will make it through the "Pearly Gates"Haha

9. valvebounce

Maggie

Nice joke,almost as good as having a Maggie of your own.The jokes on her now,she has dementure.So any deliberate memory loss she used to have is now actually a fact.Pity really,she will be able to sleep nights without thinking about the upheaval she caused.[I'm not a cynic,I like a laugh too]

10. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I think dementia is an approiate award for Maggie and her kind...Malcolm Frazer, George Bush Jr, Gordon Brown etc

11. Yobarnacle

uh, do you mean....RATS! I forgot what I was going to say.

12. valvebounce

Maggie

I can see you only read the words in a book and have them as a fact.
    In theory,it was a good idea,in practice it was a con.The working man in Britain is in general hard working with goals and expectations.Dont forget most of the industry here was Nationalised.This left no scope for privatisation,but kept the population happy for many years.Concil houses were sold to the occupiers,then the mortgage rates were hiked up,then a convenient slump came along and reduced house prices,this left people with houses that had negative equity,resulting in foreclosures and people put out of their homes.The common man here is not stupid,just cleverly brainwashed and conned.Made in Gt Britain goods were sought after all over the world,they were made by the "common man" as you put it.Where has it gone you might ask,it was sold down the river along with the population.
    I might add,the population of the world takes a drink,its not a crime as you seem to imply,when the services of the public here were required
    they brought in pub licencing hours to make sure the workforce could get up in the morning and make money for them.
    I can see by your address you jumped off the sinking ship.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It was not a con --it was unfortunate timing, as all investments you may not get back your original investment. To Maggie everything was black and white and was the ultimate control freak with full on 100% confidence she was right in all aspects. But the Manchester coal miner wont understand that.

They brought in licensing laws during the war, it was thought the common man had not the sense to get up in the morning and work for the war effort. They l have only recently changed.

Very rarely do you get northerners in Government Cyril Smith (Rochdale) was an exeption and is famous for it, nay most are wine bar goers hooray Henries and born with silver spoons in thier north and south and so far away from the common mans thoughts and wants nor do they care.

Yes I swam from the sinking ship years ago, I am disgusted still more so than when I left in 1989.

14. valvebounce

Coal Miner?

I cant say I blame you,I would get out with my heels hitting the back of my head if I was younger.I have worked in Germany and France over the years as a bricklayer,the pay was more inline with my efforts,the respect shown there by the employers far outweighed the money hungry rats that ever employed me here in the uk.
    I find it a shame that you have no repect for the working population here,I do know what you mean about the attitude,but really,what do you expect from a populace who have been manipulated for time immomorial.
    I luckily can see the overall picture,but to a great extent the populace have been kept too busy to lift their heads up and socially educate themselves.
    If the powers that be could keep the working population in suspended animation until they were required to work or fight wars for them,believe me ,they would.That way they would have no responsibility to pay unemployed benefits,sick pay etc.
    I had occasion to rub shoulders with Cyril Smith when I built a four storey flume on a swimming pool in Rochdale[tubular slide]I can only say I found him to be an ignorant expectant buffoon,full of his own importance and well overweight from his obvious lack of effort and overeating at the public's expense.

15. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

I was in Guangzhou in October. Far from Dalian, but I just looked up the photos of Dalian on the net and it reminded me of Guangzhou a lot. Those megacities in China are not just supermodern. They are turning into futuristic cities.

Guangzhou is scary and spectacular at the same time. The most impressive is the urbanistic planning that goes into these megalopolises. Despite the absolutely enormous buildings around me, I never felt suffocated by them. Everything is planned very intelligently and it looks fantastic. The whole city is one green park. There are trees and flowers everywhere, even between the four line avenues.

The fair itself is from another planet. With all those electric carts transporting people left and right, travelators, the buildings themselves looking like spaceships, LED screens on every corner to advise you of the next event or promote businesses...

China is in the distant future for the rest of the world already.

Luckilly, a foreigner can buy apartment, or a house, for a reasonable amount still. And they have some absolutely spectacular apartments there too. But a foreigner can only have one. $100 000 euros will get you a modern 70m2 2 bedroom with a view.

The nightlife is fantastic too and the cost of life is a joke. You just can't spend the money, no matter how much you try. Only if you buy only imported food or stuff you will feel the bite. But, with such an enormous choice of stuff in their supermarkets and shopping centres, why bother...

I absolutely enjoyed the place.

If you can handle the almost tropic climate. The haze in the city is not from pollution as is in many other cities in China, it is from the Pearl river and from the sea. Guangzhou is right in the middle of the delta and there's a lot of humid haze in the air. There are no trucks allowed in the city 24/7 so the noise from the traffic is pleasantly low. Supermodern metro runs every two minutes and it goes EVERYWHERE. It costs one peanut per ride... Literally.

Airconditions are installed everywhere, but if you have to cross the street from one place to another... Summer lasts 8 months there...

You WILL sweat.