How can an American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Boatbuilder RPR

Boatbuilder RPR Previous Member

Butrint?

Better go straight to Tirana and notice that Albania is in the middle of Europe and not as cheap as one might expect!
    Oh, ah, yes, I know the country, from Skodra in 1992 through Gjirokaster in 1997 to Butrinti in 2004.

Ad Hoc summed it up nicely, go back to page 1

RPR

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome to the forum.

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Thats it in 1.

I also have lived short term in a few south east asian and pacific nations and wouldnt want to drop back to "poor" local standards, but what I would consider to be middle class local standards would work fine.

4. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Let us not be completely unfair to the locals by focusing on the poor side of the house. There are masses of rich people there too and they live in mansions. But they will not rent or sell their investment properties to foreigners for a handful of rice.

There are many very modern and comfortable homes to be found everywhere. You will pay the price for the comfort you are accustomed to, and the price will be familiar too.

The only way for a foreigner to buy relatively cheap is to go where he wants to move to and look for himself. The deals are not published on the net because poor people do not have it there. And they are your target group. They will sell for what you think is cheap.

A word of advice though: the poor doesn't mean stupid so do not expect to come out winning. You will only pay less than over the internet. And that is fair. They should receive as much as they can for selling their land. As an example, there are no land parcels around my house in Chile that cost less than 200 000 euros. Just plain land from 500m2. Houses start from 300 000 for a wooden hut and no lake view.

5. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Botswana is more civilised than albania. Clean and flower infused little villages. Almost picturesque. Very clean too and all the basics (water, sewage, telephone, electricity). But, you would stick out as a white there. Children would look at you and giggle, people would stop and stare at you with surprise and genuine interest. Peaceful people so do not worry. Land and houses are cheap, and if you go up the mountains, the temperatures are constant spring all year round.

6. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Try these for size,
    Tropical houses on Batam Is Indonesia 40min CAT hi speed ferry ride from Singapore: USD30K-150K,
    New mansions @ Dalian China including basement garage & games room:USD400K unfinished interior

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  7. watchkeeper

Something to be aware of, in countries like Turkey, Spain, Eastern Europe, and parts of Asia, you can negotiate to buy a property thats been declared unencombered.
    Then armed with an agreement signed by all stakeholders agreeing to the sale you complete the transaction..
    Next just after cash changes hands another relie pops up and claims they weren't consulted - You just lost your property.
    Usually it's a local lawyer handling the purchase who's also part of the deal with family members.

8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Junior Member

Dear Fanie Defend Yourself! I need to pay for my boat and I went to Vietnam as a fighter for freedom and I can't get the Govt to pay me disability and I've been suing them for 6 years. Where the hell were you when we need you in Nam? Shut up and get to work cleaning up you trashy Rat infested country and we'll come spend some money. If they murder everyone, why would I come there?

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Links please

OK, found something
    http://propertybatam.com/search-results#headeranchor

Hows ownership for non citizens go there?

10. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What happened to the crime rate during the soccer World Cup I wonder ? Something equally deterring about SA is the horrendous road death toll, quite incredible.

11. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

3rd world accomodation

If you want cheap accomodation try the north of England uk,it is almost a 3rd world country,£8000 will get you a 2up-2 down terraced house with an outside toilet in Oldham or rochdale,you will even get gas and electricity if you can afford it.You might find the petrol [gas] prices a little expensive at £1.40 per litre.If you teach English your services would be invaluable in these areas.We can do a swap if you like [Haha]

12. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Tell my youngest daughter. She's taking post grad studies in London. Very expensive. She has a flat on Baker street. Not #210 though.

13. watchkeeper

Sorry guys, can't provide links, I took these pics myself while living on Batam, in the white house in Shangri La park. The other in Dalian is a sea front development about 4k from where I currently live in Maritime.

Ownership on Batam comes easier with marriage to a local, otherwise you apply for resident visa, reqs employment or some reasonable funds but it's Indonesia where for a price anything is possible. Plenty of Aussie/Kiwis living drop out lifestyle on Bali.

Got plenty more options of cheap houses in places I've lived - But cheapest and best was a hill side sak sak (bamboo/grass) house I had at Birempi on Bougainville Is in 1975 built by locals at cost of 300kina (about USD180.00) at the time.
    Had views over the reef and ocean, white sand beach 100ft from front pouch and a beer fridge by the door, genset underneath and a long drop dunny out the back, trust me it doesn't get much better than that place.
    Only reason I'm not still there is Red skins (PNG Highland labouers) at Panguna copper mine started rioting and burning so all expats were ordered to bug out to PNG.

14. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Sherlock Holmes Territory

It,s a long way to commute for her,300mls or so.I dont think Oldham or Rochdale is quite in the Baker st class. When you say 210,Baker st,you dont mean 10 Downing st do you? Some dodgy characters live there.Haha

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I was referring to the residence of Sherlock Holms and Dr Watson on 21B Baker Street. Fingers misbehaved and typed 210
    I agree, 10 Downing on occassion is infested with the same sort as infest 1900 Pennsylvania Ave frequently. :)