How can an American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Even with the advantage of speaking the language, adapting to living in Mexico wasn't a quick or easy adjustment. There are xenophobes in Mexico as everywhere in the world. And the opposite end of scale, for some mexicans I was a celebrity, or maybe a zoo specimen. :)
    An advantage in Mexico is the deeply ingrained good manners and respect when adressing others, in this culture. I might have found it much more difficult if they were rude to me.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

As is Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn and Jersey City in New Jersey in the USA.

That is what makes the places dangerous to visit by boat.

I'm not scared of Italians. I'm married to one! ha ha ha (half Romanian though too)

3. Yobarnacle

Maybe you look Sicillian Michael. :)

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The Balkan Gangs have no iterest in Yachts or tourists. Simply stay out of their way and dont interfere with business. . Refugees are hungry men...not violent killers. No need to pull a gun on a hungry man....just give him your wallet and in future remember not to walk around with so much money in your pocket with a dumb sign on your forehead.

5. CatBuilder

I'm even eating a meatball parmesan for my long non-American style lunch as I type! :D

Yes, I understand what we call Eastern European gangs. We have them in New York City (Brooklyn).

A hungry man is a desperate man and he will do anything to get food. It is either get food or die. That is where you need your gun. You do not just "give your wallet" while asleep at anchor at night. If he is on your boat, you kill him. Well, I do anyway.

Maybe you sit around and get beaten up, slashed, knocked out and possibly killed in the salon. Not me or my Italian wife. We are set on killing any unauthorized boarders.

If we are in a place where it is questionable to defend yourself from intruders, we will take the bodies with us and leave. Boats are convenient that way.

6. michael pierzga

Naw...just give him your wallet and avoid gunfights in which someone might get hurt. Besides, refugees really have no idea about boats...they dont even know you are there.

The truly dangerous area is the Caribbean. I spent 13 season there. We no longer cross over anymore. Just too much violence. Ive had my crew ***** in taxi cabs, guests robbed in daylight, had criminals swim out, climb the anchor chain and rob the boat while we were on board. The closer you get to North America the more violent society becomes.

7. CatBuilder

Sort of. The Caribbean is much more violent than the USA. Since we charter there, that's why I am armed and that's why this stuff is a concern to me. Boardings don't happen much (if ever?) in the States. They usually happen from over zealous police and Coast Guard within the USA.

I'm honestly not sure if someone boards your boat, then breaks in, you should just comply with them. Getting beat up, stabbed, shot or killed in some other way is not as preferable to killing the intruder.

I guess we can agree to disagree though. I will fight (carefully - funnel and kill), you will be at the mercy of the intruder.

To each their own.

8. michael pierzga

I guess the big question is why you would go to a place in which your personal security was threatened and required weapons to defend. Best to skip those areas of the world and live the good life.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Puh-lees. If a guy in Jamaica pulls a knife on you the U.S. is to blame? Hardly.

10. CatBuilder

I believe I said that in my first post about this thread drift subject... :confused:

You better watch out! You are convincing me I should be doing my charters in Spain! ha ha ha ;)

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

well if we are talking about pirates --I dont know about gun gangs of Brooklyns.

Firstly they are not hungry or desperate, they are cool and calculated, they will have been watching you and your speed for some time.

The do not normally beat you up or slash your sofa but rob and leave.

I live in a marina on the top of Maalcca straits I see boats come in with bullet holes and story's to tell. They do not include Macho ******** but frank and extremely frightening situations that could not be handled better by the pirates confirming thier expertise.

Talk of I will kill them is juvenile and quite frankly a total misunderstanding of the situation.

Handing over your wallet is a good idea. I heard of one guy who asked the pirates to be carefull with the furniture, this resulted in a round of automatic fire randomly around the saloon.

Most attacks on yachts are near Sacotra there is little attempts to pirate in Malacca straits. It is now understood credit cards are no good and the Radar is not a TV, plus they are well aware now that even cutting the cables on marine equipment renders them usless.

Cash is all they want, small yachts dont comply to this requirement but large ships do.

12. Yobarnacle

A problem with visiting third world areas, is poverty is extreme. Ostentatiously displaying wealth creates envy, anger, and temptation. It's difficult to blend in and not be obvious when you are white, 6+feet tall, and casually but well dressed, with an expensive watch and cell phone. And a yacht screams rich!

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What!!! --in Thailand its some times me thats got the worst car at the lights, no what am I talking about my Deisel 12 valve pick up is always the worst at the lights.

RR Maserati Ferrari are,-- fairly common. Must be 5 Harley dealers.

I heard an Ameircan totally shocked a few months ago at how many golf coarses there were here and that it cost more to be a member than his club in the states.

He was devastated when his caddy explained she had a member ship.

Take you head from the sand America and take another look.

Oh by the way --your Toyota and your Mitsubishi is built just down the road from me and houses here cost more than USA and are built in cement and brick not wood 3x2.

Americans come here for health care, there a four 5 star hospitals withing 5 Km of my house, some hting else to think about on emigrating.

Not even Cambodia or Laos could be considered to be in poverty.

Please get off your chair Mr potato. Try googling Thai property for sale.

Third world my ***.

14. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Hey there 'Youba' - you gota-bad mouth & your way - way outa-line in these forums. Unfortunately some of us - have to read through your - bad-*** manners to get to those we wish to speak to & with.

Please - get a real life or go away - far, far away. Be polite - it takes some intelligence - eh?? You would make your point far better from a position of strength - if you chose to be polite - even when annoyed. Polite, please

Now - to 'the' - or at least - 'a' way of self protection. IMHO - so please - feel free to make any intelligent - polite - constructive comments. Other types of replys will rightfully earn - stoney silence, totally.

Most, if not all sailors - long distance &/or off-shore yachties have/use safety flares. The top-end pyrotechnics manufacturing companies - all around the world that make - hi-tech, hi-end, waterproof - hand held flares also make Marine flares. They are not very expensive at all - my life is worth many more dollars than a couple of dozen custome made flares. I'm sure no one - in any of the all-out war zones I've been in - can shoot at you - or agress upon your body (or yacht) with a chest, geni#*es, face etc full of burning sulphur. I'm a lover - NOT - a fighter -however I alone will make my final call as to how far (or not) I choose to go - to protect my 'cheese&kisses, family & yacht. I'm not going into this subject again - in open forums - PM me if you wish - Paul & other admin people - know what it is that I stand for & where after 55 years in the FRP mfgr yacht & electric business - stand.

Please, for the sake of both this very valuable forum & the subjects discussed herein - will we all please be polite & nice to everyone. Where necessary - agree to dis-agree; BUT be nice & be polite. Thank you. thank-you very much!!

Ciao from an ex-pat Canuck - living down-under. james - A fab 2012 to everyone.

1 person likes this.

15. Yobarnacle

My apologies to all members who had to put up with my rebuke of Frosty. If you look back over many of his recent posts here and Sumatra pirates thread, you'll notice I good natured accepted and declined to emulate his acerbic verbal attacks on me. As tolerant and patient I am, enough gets to be too much. I called him out.
    Do you intend to censure his manners as well?
    Or are there double standards here?
    Anyway, I appreciate the forum and all the information freely given. I've learned a lot. Hopefully I contributed something of value too.

Again, I apologize to offending the gentlemen and ladies here.
    As amends to extent I'm able, I'll delete offending posts.

sincerely
    Dave