How can an American buy a CHEAP house in 3rd World?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It is possible to have a model of government where the officials do not have the powers they do...

I actually discussed it with a friend who agreed that it can be done. Convincing the state they must stand down from their power is something else.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

The original plan in USA was the government that had most authority over you, you had the most contol over it.
    The more dilluted your vote became, the less powerfull the government.
    Most powerfull was the local town or county government, then the state had less, and the feds most restricted in power.
    It's upside down now. and you are correct. Once power is aquirred, it's never voluntarily surrendered. Hence, second admendment. The right to keep and bear arms.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The Bill of Rights taken together are there to protect us from a government run amock; unfortunately too many judges of both parties wiped there bums with it.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

QUOTE=Yobarnacle;
    It's upside down now. and you are correct. Once power is aquirred, it's never voluntarily surrendered. Hence, second admendment. The right to keep and bear arms. /QUOTE

The right to keep and bear arms was not intended to be written for the individual. The second amendment was meant for the country at that time.

At that time is was inconceivable that an individual would NOT bear arms as this would be normal day to day life.

Im sure you will agree that times have changed over the last 300 years and it is now considered unnecessary to carry weapons in the streets of America and it is becoming difficult to struggle for a reason to do so.

I need it for hunting moose is not acceptable in the suburbs of NY,-- like a new electric drill,-- the guy cant use it but he liked the look of it and he bought it ( with full accessories) because he can, along with the electric chain saw or a classic muscle car.

To bring the conversation back on thread I don't know any countries apart from USA that allows private gun ownership so you Americans will have to leave your toys at home along with the chain saw.

Most other countries,- especially the East concentrate on social harmony rather than individual protection. Some nationalities just don't mix well and you may well be wise to consider if you are one of them.

5. Yobarnacle

Yes. The US is the land of individuals rights, not the greater right of society as a whole. It's an old argument. Those who don't appreciate individual rights can be happy in many other places in the world. New York City is not representative of the USA nor New Yorkers of americans. Some years back, I think about 30 years, some folks were canvassing for signatures in Times Square. The petition read "when a government fails to meet the needs of the people, it's the peoples right to over throw that government." Hardly anyone would sign it. Most ran away scared, looking over their shoulder. They didn't even recognize the American Declaration of Independence. Try it in small town USA and they'll be lined up for the priveledge of signing it. Or would have 30 years ago. Can't say what modern kids think. My kids are grown and grand kids are tykes. :)

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

What epoch are you living in? Was Genghis Khan exercising social harmony? Was Tojo exercising social harmony? When Mao sent his army into Korea was that social harmony? Burma; what an example of social harmony that is. Bah Humbug!

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am living in the year 2012. why are you talking about Genghis khan? That was even before the constitution.

Burmese do live in social harmony and are very nice people, your confusing political turmoil and militant government control with social harmony --not the same thing.

Its social harmony that gets them through it all.

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I personally have not seen a gun in many years. A local bank was recently robbed by bad guys with sledge hammers and knives...not guns.

Private Gun ownership, bullet proof windows, shootouts, collateral damage, gun detectors in schools...thats all silly American stuff. Unique in the civilized world.

What Frosty says about social harmony is very true. Locally we have 20 percent unemployment, perhaps 50 percent with young people. Many people struggle from day to day yet I see very little crime. The local waterfront security gaurd is a comic book charecter mostly asleep or sipping coffee in front of a football game. Social harmony keeps thing secure. This Social Harmony is one reason why foreigners are not often welcomed as residents.. Social Harmony works best when the society is mono cultural, ,mono ethnic.

9. Yobarnacle

quote: Its social harmony that gets them through it all. quote:

Frosty,
    you are obviously a nice man. Sensitive and sensible.
    I'm glad Burma found a system that works. Never been to Burma, but I suspect it's predominately one people, one ethnic, one culture, one religion, small in area, and nobody calls upon them to intervene in world affairs.
    Other nations are more diverse, have more complicated problems, and greater responsibilities.
    For every complicated problem there is a simple solution. Unfortunately, it's invariably wrong.

10. Yobarnacle

michael Pierzga,
    I'm glad Spain is peacefull. Congratulations. How many years has the peace lasted? Are the Basque also happy, content, and peaceable now?

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And your point is?

12. Yobarnacle

My point is Congratulations Burma! Wouldn't work in USA for a minute.

13. michael pierzga

Sure , all nations have problems...its the human condition. As a foreigner if you can rapidly identify the particular problems of your host country you can adapt. Since this thread is about moving from the comfort of your home culture into another culture its important for the original poster to understand this. Before you pick up and move its very wise to spend substantial time with a rental property check out the situation. See if its possible for you to adapt. Some places like Black Sea Russia would simply be impossible to survive in.

14. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

You know, I agree with this.

I spent a couple months in Basque Country (San Sebastian) and Barcelona and never for a moment felt I would need a gun aboard my vessel. (Did not have a boat there though) I also couldn't imagine needing one in daily life in Espana either.

There are plenty of places, however, even in Europe, where I might feel more comfortable having a gun aboard: Take some places in southern Italy for example. There are some sketchy spots there.

It all comes down to the people. If you have a well looked after population who had access to education and has some opportunity and values as well as possibly a social safety net, you do not need a gun. The more desperate and uneducated the population and the less values, the more you need one.

Of course, I'm only talking about guns on boats. On land, I only keep one where I sleep if sleeping outside such as in an RV. I do not walk around with a gun or ever feel the need to because I stay out of bad areas. If I had any type of real estate, such as a house, I would probably keep a gun there too.

Sometimes, a good anchorage is in a bad area (Caribbean, South America) and you need to be alert for your safety.

15. michael pierzga

Italy ???????????? Coastal and Southern Italy is one of the safest places for a tourist that I know of. Sicilians protect you with their eyes...always alert . You will simply never have problems in Italy with Italians. I regularly tie alongside commercial docks in Sardinia and Sicily...completely vulnerable to bad guys and have never in 40 years had the slightest problem.

Coastal Italy is home to many desperate North African Refugees and violent Balkan crime gangs.