homo igneus, the burning man

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by CDK, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mark775

mark775 Guest

"A gift to culture" the boy in the third vid said. You have a way of displaying America in the most positive light, Boston.
    NEVADA, a good place for a nuclear test. The same freaks that bleat about AGW build, then burn, enough energy to provide housing for a village. What an embarrassment. These same people do "Burning Basket" on MY beach here and leave their eye-sore laying around for others to clean. http://www.mavismullerart.com/burningbasket.html

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

this show is a one week event and there is a two week clean up after
    they even remove the ash

the organizers ( I know a bunch of them ) are exclusive to this event and as far as I know only put on this one show

if someone else is putting on another event elsewere and fails to clean up
    hang the ********
    cause thats not what burning man is all about

the forest service comes in and inspects the grounds
    if its not clean
    no permit for next year

about the carbon deal
    you forget
    wood is a carbon neutral fuel source as is cotton and any other processed or unprocessed plant fiber that is not older than the life span of co2 in the environment ( about 150 to 200 years )
    IE
    we burn "fosil" fuels and thus we have a problem
    had we burned "non fossil" renewable fuels we would never have had a problem
    the process of renewing metabolizes the carbon back out of the atmosphere

once again
    this is a great example of Jerrie's famous quote
    "you aint going to learn"
    "what you dont want to know"

as I have explained the concept of carbon neutral fuels VS fossil fuels several times in other threads

the burning man event is essentially carbon neutral
    all goods and services within the event are free for the cost of admission including food, water, clothing ( optional ) shelter if you need it, medical to a point, alcohol, just about anything you can imagine is free for the asking. Its a beautiful event

they even have air cannons firing pumpkins a few miles and a car toss anvil toss hell there is guaranteed someone set up to toss anything you can imagine as far as he can possibly manage
    I think the car toss record is about a half mile but nothing is official that comes out of a burning man festival
    no one is sober enough to measure much

dont knock it till you try it mate
    cheers
    B

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

You are making an assumption that the carbon will not stay sequestered in the wood. You are putting forth 150 to 200 years, which has been shown....oh, nevermind.
    The soot, the wasted trees, the wasted human energy (the biggest thing to me). It just strikes me as curious to see people doing this, then return to their real jobs of disrupting commerce and industry on Monday (because it "pollutes").
    Everybody needs a release, I 'spose. I lately get mine being hyper-critical to strangers on forums.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Interesting story Boston and quite on topic.

It illustrates our strange fascination. All animals run away from fire, we're the only ones attracted to it. That it destructs doesn't really seem to bother us.

5. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Fire also gives life.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think fire is what made humanity what it is
    we sit around a camp fire and tell funny stories
    a
    language
    b
    social inclusion and a focal point for cultural interaction
    c
    a comon bond in numbers
    d
    a act of effective communicating results in a greater chance of mating with language skills being thus a genetic development as much as a physical one
    e
    with fire we are able to eat more types of foods as cooking certain foods makes them more easily digested

on and on and on are the benefits of fire
    warmth before the advent of effective clothing for instance

having been kinda a professional student for a while I find fire an interesting subject

its kinda the binding glue of humanity
    the alpha and omega if you will

once upon a time there was no more defining characteristic of man than fire
    eventually there may be nothing more to define man than fire
    why fire might be all we end up with is an interesting study in itself
    I also once long ago did an exploratory into the technology of man

technology is not exactly moving in the most obvious direction
    with many great technologies lying hidden by the past as still leave "modern" man scratching his head in wonder

largest objects moved my man
    in the distant past

most complex languages and alphabets
    in the distant past

written history begins with a fully developed culture
    even writing itself goes back farther into the past than we can trace as the earliest forms of writing are also the most complex with subsequent forms consistently simplifying by exponential leaps and bounds

development of civilization
    if you look at the sumarian libraries
    you find a completely developed
    legal system
    language system
    education system
    business system
    public service system
    religious system
    social structure
    courtship and marriage system
    written language ( cuneiform both linear A and B consisted of roughly 1500 and 850 characters respectively with a body of words estimated to be twice that of Greek )
    the full array of governmental systems
    public health systems like sewage and water even trash collection and education
    every single aspect of what we consider modern civilization existed at the earliest known times of mankind's recorded history
    right beside what we consider the most primitive of proto-cultures just like we still have today
    social development is going no where and the duration that each civilization is surviving is declining as is many of the ancient technologies
    ok we have some technologies ( electronics for instance ) that are advancing nicely but we have some that are in decline as well but culture itself
    likely developed from sitting around a fire

basically culture as we know it goes back before the dawn of recorded history
    and what is really spooky
    it seams to be digressing

take language just as one example
    the ancient languages had significantly more words than our languages today
    the Greeks had for instance over 20 words for love and the Inuit more than 15 for snow
    ancient Greek had proximately 21 million words in common usage
    Hebrew there still trying to compile there were so many words in common usage
    modern english
    less than 1 million total and less than 250 thousand in common usage
    point being that with every word lost is a common concept lost

today we have professions with the own special languages

stat
    in the medical profession for instance

every word has a purpose
    and with less words
    we have diminished purpose and made understanding that much more difficult

what I found was that the greatest achievements of human culture seem to by mostly made in pre history

ok we have electronics but take away that
    and guess what
    we are going backwards in social development not forwards

heaviest objects moved
    all in the distant past

purest metals
    distant past ( look up pillar of Delphi )

development of glass
    goes back to before recorded history

invention of beer
    before recorded history

aluminum
    which requires a knowledge of electricity to produce
    the ancient Egyptians had aluminum jewelry

the metric system
    sorry but if really want to be shocked read "civilization 1" cant remember who wrote it
    but it definitively describes numerous ancient structures as being layed out within the one universal measurement system available to us all
    metric

point being; without going into to many details, is that although we would like to think we are moving forward in our standing within technology
    we are just as likely to be digressing rather than advancing

a keen eye on the past
    begs the question
    what represents real advancement
    and what represents just clinging to what we have already known

I say things are not what you may think they are
    but instead might just be what you had least expected

my conclusion after years of studying this very issue
    is what I call
    cultural devolution

I think one thing that is most important to realize about mans use of fire is that for many eons it was not a problem
    its when we stopped burning renuable fuels and kicked in with fossil fuels that we threw the system out of balance

basically its a circle
    break the circle and you break an endless chain that has enabled life to survive

understanding is a choice
    although some chose to misunderstand

as I quoted before
    you aint going to learn
    what you dont want to know

7. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

no - it doesn't...
    fire is a chemical reaction in which elements react strongly with oxygen... this reaction is massivly exotherm and agressivly chaotic - producing large amounts of heat = energy - destroying everything in its reach...
    the elements are 'transformed' into oxidates(?proper english word?) making them no more longer available to life and therfore:
    fire will never ever give life!

do not come now with 'after a bushfire plants are growing and blooming'...
    that would be a misconception because in some areas where bushfires are somewhat regular plants have evolved strategies to come that by to a certain extent... it does not mean that it is the fire giving the life...

it is life which has 'learned' to live with regular destruction...

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Its a natural part of the cycle down here, water kills just as effectively... why not drowning man? You sad old farts could sit about whining and doing nothing about that as well! What fun you could have... :D

9. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

granted.... ;)

because we burn things...

how comes you know - or pretend to know - that i am a "sad old fart"? :confused:

regarding the natural cycle down under... been there, seen it...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

actually you were closer to the mark than you might realize

there is an idea called the water ape theory that is about the only theory combining cultural and physical anthropology left standing at the end of the day.

the Savana theory went the way of the Dodo ages ago but is still the one taught in schools for some twisted reason
    the Cave dweller theory also flew south with the Dodo bird long ago
    as well as all the rest
    but the water ape theory seems to have survived and that was the one everyone scoffed at the most

you might look it up or maybe I can find the series on it in U tube

11. YoHB

YoHB New Member

Just wanted to say that "Homo igneus" does mean "burning man," but it means the man himself is on fire; so "Homo Igneus" would be the correct name for the festival in Nevada. But if you want to classify the human species as "man who burns things" you should use something like "Homo incendens," which, as a bonus, follows the pattern of "Homo sapiens." Or there's "Homo cremans" if you are focusing on the ashes left at the end.

Of course it could be argued that the name "Burning Man" refers to both the wooden man on fire, AND the people in attendance, burning the burning man. But the official Latin name for the playa party is Homo Igneus.

Well I think I've said the word "homo" enough for one night. ;)

12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

To make it more complex we have "Homo" from Latin and Greek meaning different things . . .

"Homo" from the Latin noun "homō" (genitive hominis) means "human being" or "man" in the generic sense of "human being, mankind". For example like in the Latin "Homo sapiens" which means "man who knows".

"Homo" from Ancient Greek "ὁμός" means "same". For example like in "Homo-sexuality" which is the romantic attraction / sexual attraction / sexual behavior between members of the same sex.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.