Home made raft

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Matt Haines, May 25, 2004.

1. Matt Haines

Matt Haines Guest

this weekend me and my family who have no boating experience have to build a raft to carry three people. we have 12 oil drums, 6 wooden pallets and lots of rope. Please can someone email me ( bean_69_99@hotmail.com ) with a general design or even a link to where i can get help asap!!!

thanks

matt

2. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Easy!Just check some threads that have allready been put up!

3. Ryan Buda

Ryan Buda New Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You did notice this is an 8 year old thread and the original poster hasn't returned . . . I hope he didn't drown on a contraption similar to yours Ryan.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If hes not dead he probably knows a hell of a lot more about rafts now.

6. PAR

I've never understood the desire to float helplessly down a body of water, unless it was a gang of innertubes, each with a friend in it and one or two reserved for the beer, in at least 85 degree water. Drifting along without any hope of getting out of the way of something, especially something that was fast moving, unattentive or limited in maneuverability, just seems asking to be on the following day's newspaper headline. "Rafting boneheads, run down mid river" "Tanker versus raft" story at 11:00, "PWC slices raft in two". Here in sunny Florida, we weed out the gene pool regularly with stunts like this.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would use one if I was --say escaping from a high security prison being chased by viscous Rottweilers that have not been fed . Places such as Alcatraz for instance.
    I really cant think of another use for one
    Other wise I agree entirely.

8. PAR

I have a Rottie and when he yawns, he has at least an inch of meat on each side of he teeth, before the fur starts. It's an intimidating set of choppers to say the least, so he gets fed on a regular routine.

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I agree with you, but around here the Puget Sound is way too cold to enjoy on hot days, so we are stuck with lakes and rivers. They can be pleasantly warm and nice to cool off in. However the many lakes are often choked with drunken water skiers and personal watercraft riders, not making for a pleasant paddle or sail on weekends. So we have found ourselves floating down the large slow moving rivers around here in large truck tire inner tubes. It can be pleasant, however there are a few choke points in the river where it speeds up, with large tree trunk hanging out into the current. Not very pleasant to encounter one of those at all, can ruin your float trip if you get pinned under one by the current. So I have taken to bringing a greenland type kayak paddle on my innertube, it allows me to position myself in the current to avoid the strainers, and I can use it to push off from rocks or sand bars without getting up. It only works with alternate side rapid strokes, otherwise on an inner tube you just spin around.

After the first time I brought the paddle, everyone else wanted one the next time we floated the river. Good thing I have 4 or 5 pairs of paddles, all homemade, all different shapes since I was experimenting with different designs, but all work for getting an inner tube out of harms way.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What if an alligator bites the end of your oar off.

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Frosty, the Puget Sound region is a bit cold for that . . .

Cheers,
    Angel

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Puget sound???

Sounds like a radio off a French motor car

13. Angélique

French sound is right, that's because Peter Puget's ancestors had fled France for Britain during Louis XIV's persecution of the Huguenots.

Cheers,
    Angel

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

So why is Puget Sound in North America?

More than one I suppose.

Maybe an orca ate Matt (the OP).

They are common in the Puget Sound I'm familiar with.

15. Angélique

No worries, OP seems to be OK as he ? recently posted here . . . :cool:

Good luck Matt !

Cheers,
    Angel