Hi everyone.. Advice Needed

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by LoneRider, Jun 15, 2006.

1. LoneRider

LoneRider S'pore Police Coast Guard

This is my 1st post and I'm sorry if its a little longwinded. I'm a new member of this forum and hail from the island state of Singapore. I've been in law enforcement the last 8 yrs (proud to say I'm a third generation policeman :) ) with the Singapore Police Coast Guard. I've also served in the merchant navy and clocked around 2yrs of sea time. About 2 yrs ago I sustained a service injury to my right arm (shooting hand). The injury caused considerable muscle and nerve damage. I've maybe 40% use of that arm but can handle simple tasks but nothing that requires a lot of motor movement like writing and intricate work (manage to teach myself to write so guess I'm a lefty now). I'm now deskbound at work.

With my injury I feel my services to my country are pretty much un needed. At age 29 I'm making plans to leave for Thailand where I've made investments in freshwater aquaculture. I'm planning to start a small boat building business there. There's a market for small crafts (max 16 footers) for river fishery, aquaculture and rescue work (frequent floodings). I've seen some boat plans online and would like some input on which you guys think are good, easy to built designs (eg. GF14 - 14' Jon Boat). Also the type of materials to use. I'm pretty good with woodworking tools and have some basic metal working skills like cutting, forming and arc welding. I've a diploma in Marine Transportation, a Class 3 Foreign Going Certificate and did some cousework in naval architecture but no hands on experience in building small crafts.

Exterior plywood, solid meranti and teak are freely available there. Marine ply chould be sourced but needs to be shipped with some additional cost. Sheet and plate mild steel and aluminium up to 4mm are also available.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Regards
    LoneRider

PS : You guys have a great forum here.. :)

2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Wanna move to Indonesia instead:) Welcome aboard, Why Thailand if Riau just infront of you?

3. LoneRider

I'd rather move to Riau too especially cos there's no language barrier as I speak good Bahasa Indonesia but the wife is from the Land of Smiles (Thailand)and I've already invested a bit of money rearing fish and a small cattle ranch. And of course the ladies over there are easier on the eyes :) .

Regards
    LoneRider

4. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Uh oh. There go the reputation points -- and after only two posts.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Lonerider you cant work in Thailand its against the law. You may finally be able to work with a work permit (If you can get one) and you will be able to own a max of 49% of your company and your house. I have no idea about Indonesia but welly is there.
    I like Singapore,-- Go build boats on Pulau Ubin, be legal , be happy. Your too young for Thailand.
    But it sounds like your already commited to it so good luck.

6. LoneRider

Don't worry, I've all intentions of staying legal there. Getting my long term visa, won't register any business under my name, probablu use my wife's. I'm not staying for good anyways, Thailand is nice but nothing like Singapore. I'd never walk around Bangkok alone at night, good chance I'd get mugged and killed. I'm planning to stay in suburban Chiangmai, safer.. People are friendlier and life is a whole lot slower.

Anyway, there's nothing much left of Pulau Ubin. All the Villages have been torn down, residents have been made to move to the main island, Boating is more or less dead (high berthing and licensing fees, not to mention fuel costs) unless you count the mega yachts berthed at those exclusive marinas.

About being too young, my grandfather came to Singapore from East Java in the early 20s at age 26 with just a few dollars in his pocket.. He ended up marrying a local and stayed here all his life. If I'm gonna make a change in my life I'd rather do it while I'm still young and full of ideas.

If you're making a trip to singapore e-mail me.. I'd be glad to let you bunk at my place.. :)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You know I would never be afraid of being mugged in Thailand. I live in Pattaya and I often stagger home at 4am, but Iam not a small man. Any way I used to moor up at Pulau Ubin and was there before Pongol marina ,--way before your time. You could even anchor off Loyang and Pasir ris park you could get water from the gardens. Yes ile bet that raised your eye brows,---anchoring,-- you cant do that any more.
    Whats more dangerous slogging along when your tired and lost through sinki channel or anchor up some where and get out of the way. The answer is obvious but not to the Singapore authorities. Nope slogg on for another 6 hours untill you get to Pulau Pisang.
    A lot of countries are like that now Phuket is quickly going that way. More rules more rules. its not working is it? Ahh dont listen to me.

8. LoneRider

First few years of my service there were still pleasure crafts moored off Pasir Ris Park.. The place is now a reserve anchorage for petroleum vessels. Used to enjoy going up to the sailing boats and talking to the owner. With the terrorist attacks every movement in Singapore harbour is controlled. We track everything from Horsburgh Light all the way to Pulau Pisang. I guess its a necessary evil. On a good note piracy attacks are down. Past Pluau Pisang however its a different story. Last December we were off Klang when we heard of a tug held at gun point. Couldn't help though, no diplomatic clearance. Now that I'm on a deskjob only time I'm out at sea is during training sorties and supervisory rounds. Someone's got to make sure they're not slacking off (man, I'm turning into my dad!). How long you been in Patttaya?I generally try to avoid tourist spots in Thailand. I'll be going to Bangkok next month for some sweet water fishing..

9. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

LoneRider,

I am suggesting that Riau could be a good area for food production and sending it to S'pore would be cheaper.......

I have a friend in Fish ball maker in S'pore - Island Pride, they are looking for fresh fish meat supplier........ you can try.........:)

If Batam and S'pore water not good for fish farming do consider Natuna....... My option for seaweed growing.......... good water.:)

WDH

Chok Dee Krup

10. SteamFreak

SteamFreak USMM

Good to hear you guys are kicking piracy butt.. Its always been a worry for us and having to stand extra watches through the strait always sucks.

As far as easy boats to build, try looking through the Build-Your-Own community for simple plans and designs. Sorry I can't help more but building hulls isn't a forte of mine. Repairing old hulls is and perhaps you might look into doing repair work for while.. get's you aquainted with the local designs in use and their performance... Then start putting together and offering your own models based off this feedback.