Hermann Görings Motor Yacht "CARIN II" rotting away in the Red Sea

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Metronicity, May 1, 2008.

1. Metronicity

Metronicity Junior Member

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Interesting piece of history but what she stands/stood for is hopefully long gone (to some more than others) best she left to quietly rot and sink gently beneath the waves like the old queen (grande dame not puff) she once was!

3. JimboFromIrmo

JimboFromIrmo Loud Handle Makes Wind

Thanks For The Memories...

Just let it go, man.

4. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Looks like she's worth restoring... probably very well built.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Good, let it rot . . .I'll bring the match when it's time.

6. Meanz Beanz

Why? Where the shippys that built it evil people? Its a bit of history that we'd better not forget, better that some one gets some pleasure from what is probably a fine craft. They have preserved all sorts of other things, war machines and the like so? We forget and we are doomed to repeat... its not the boats fault after all.

Cheers
    MBz

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not blaming the boat, but do resent what it's clam to fame is. Many very fine yachts were lost to the war effort. I'd rather see her materials used to revive one of these then reclaim her glory. Or would you prefer her restoration? Well, if we do restore her, wouldn't the height of her existence be flying a Nazi flag from her staff? Maybe we could decorate her with period articles like the front page of the London papers declaring how many died in the previous night's bombing. Possibly we could celebrate the Nazi prostitutes that were frequent visitors with scantly dressed manikins, lounging on the fore deck.

It was the pride of truly sick people, it should be given the same quarter as they.

8. Meanz Beanz

I'd restore the boat for the boats sake, you can keep all the rest... its just a boat now.

9. Meanz Beanz

I will qualify that with if it where the sort of classic I where after... in reality its a moot point, as its not anything I am likely to undertake soon and its half a world away.

10. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

I say restore.
    Par, I believe that history shaped our future, however, having said that, if you clings to the past, you have no future...

Look at my country, the current incapable government screwed up this country big time, and still blames apartheid for that and every corrupt move they make - think that over.:confused:

11. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

While I generally think flame is a somewhat poetic end to a noble craft I'd break this son of a ***** up with an excavator, then burn it.

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Its a boat for gawds sake.
    Restore it if you can afford it.
    Appreciate the workmanship that went into it.
    Many good boats have got bad owners.

1 person likes this.
  13. Meanz Beanz

So some of you guys would be torching all the VW Beetles you see then?

14. murdomack

murdomack New Member

That is not the same thing, now if it was a VW that was used by the Nazis then it should be torched.
    People assume that the Nazis went away when the war ended. They are still at work in our establishments.
    People who collect and restore Nazi Memorabilia conveniently forget the evils that they perpetrated against many races around the world.
    Countless millions died to stop their march and we owe it to Them that we do not do anything that brings any good light on their evil.

15. Meanz Beanz

Its a boat, you don't have to put the fricken swash stickers on the damn thing. Wanton destruction of anything is a waste, why not celebrate that some one is getting pleasure from what was once the property of the evil doers... now that's expression of victory over evil. Why not put it to good use, take street kids out on it, raise money for charity with it.... find a positive instead of destroying it, destruction is so childishly small minded, its the sort of thinking that took us to war in the first place.

Some of you guys better get around to a few museums, there are a few VW's, planes and bits and pieces that the Third Reich used that you might want to burn or blow up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.