hello im new here

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sandieman, Jun 2, 2007.

1. sandieman

sandieman New Member

im new to the boat world and have moved recently from england to germany.
    in my quest to find employment i managed to find a job fairing a mega yacht
    and wondered if i could find out more about it.
    is this the place? or does anyone know of a good forum where that end of the yachting business can be found? i like to do things well and so all info is good info and i am a absolute beginner.
    thanx for any replies.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hello I'm new here

Sandieman - welcome. And to answer your initial question - YES. This is the ONLY place for real, brass-bound information. This forum is stacked with wise knowledgeable blokes/and bloke-esses. (Plus a few idiots like me).
    Stay put and answers will start trickling in. I mean, where else will you find designers, marine engineers, boat builders/repairers, sailors and owners all under one 'deck'. On top of that, several centuries of practical experience.:)

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok is your question only fairing?
    Cos heres the real oil
    to start with you go over the whole boat with a long batten, start with 2 of you and a 15 foot batten, mark the hollows s with chalk, I assume she is allready painted and read to go> in the marked areas write in the depth of bog(filler reqd) , go over the whole hull like this, lengthways and diagonally down the hull
    To fair a boat quickly will take years of practice BUT this in the only way, there are no short cuts and if you start by bogging the whole hull first , most of this expensive compound , made up of phenolic micro balloons and epoxy resin will end up in the waste bin
    When all the hollows are done, take a plane and smooth of the bumps, you will have applied with a plasters floating trowel , NExt check again and fill as per requirments you must scuff between applications, resin wont adere(in long term) to shiny resin
    Next when you have all the hollows filled and no bumps(outwards) --if there are bumps your will either have to , if steel shrink out, or alloy belt back in, or wood, plane off(bumps are a curse cos if you can not get rid of em you will need to fair out to that bump over a large area
    Next cover the whole hull with 2mm of bog
    next take your batten and check and plane with a raiser sharp plane, that is a number one plane, plane off the highs , next with a 2m long board and 100 grit stapled to this board which will be 100mm wide, and handles on top for 2 men, start to sand using a sweeping down and diag stroke, Do not ever sit in one place with the board bit keep it sawing like I just said, work all the way over and keep on checking with your battan, a piece on 1 inch square cedar is best, it keeps its shape, work down the grits, its a skill, and if you get GOOD AT IT YOU WILL EARN BIG MONEY
    tHAT LAZY BUGGER bERGALIA WILL SIT AND WATCH:))

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I MAY ADD THAT YOU SHOULD CHECK WITH A 10M LENGTH OF SQUARE ALLOY
    SECTION, if you have enough men, many yachts are painted in dark blue and using short battens is ok checking local areas, but in the big picture you will need this long one to start with
    i have seen 100 footers built so well that 5m battens are ok, but I have seen 50metre yachts pulled so out of shape that the bog was 75mm thick, I shall not name the yard, but I can honestly say this, cos the man whose team dd my work, faired all these superyachts for this particular yard
    However I can name the yard whose boats needed little, and that was Hiusman, Netherlands

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hello I'm new here

Ain't that the truth Jack.....:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

First of all I have to say Im a little no-- very dissapointed that you think Germany is better than England.

Your probably a bit young, but once Germany and England had a war and --Oh never mind.

Fairing is an art --really---. You can be crap at it and always will be. If your good you probably will be from day one.

It is an understanding of flat and not smooth Its an art.

There ar tools to help you get good results but as in all trades its choosing the righ one.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Rise the anchor... set for sail, welcome aboard memate

1 person likes this.
  8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ya know what I approve abt you westy, ya dont try make out ya know everything!! take some points

1 person likes this.
  9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is there anything you like about me Lazy.

Look at my Avatar. How could you not like a face like that.

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you know bloody well I think your ok, why else would I have given you your new name! wake up!!

11. sandieman

sandieman New Member

thanx.

thanx all and i hope your wrong about the "either youve got it or havent" remark cos it looks as though i havent :mad:
    the yacht im working on is huge 96 mtrs long and has a main deck second deck owners deck and then a sun deck, with a helipad on the stern.
    when i got the job it was already well underway and i didnt see the basic preparation stages.
    but your comments in many cases sound familiar but far more refined then what im really experiencing here. there are almost 150 people working on it at any one time and each person that gives me advice says something different to the next needless to say (all are experts):D
    as for germany and england theres no contest as far as im concerned and im 38 years old so i know england pretty well.
    and as far the war ;) 4give and 4get no?

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Sandleman,

Welcome aboard! As you've seen already, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. From lazeyjack's post on fairing technique, it's clear he is either an experienced builder of quality boats ... or the biggest and boldest bullsh...er on the planet! :D

Actually he's the latter when it comes to politics, but the former when it comes to boatbuilding, so in cases like this I pay attention to him; he knows a lot. I, on the other hand, as an experienced owner, operator, sailor, and mechanic, would be sitting with Bergalia, quaffing a brew and watching in awe as lazeyjack demonstrates the art of fairing, about which I know very little.

Seriously, as lazey just demonstrated, this forum is a good place. Sounds like you're working on a real work of art. Enjoy!

13. sandieman

sandieman New Member

the boats being built in hamburg harbour in the bloom and voss yard.
    are there any books or other things to buy that would help me get an insight any quicker then learning on the job?
    and where do i buy tools and boards for this trade?
    thanx again.

14. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Bloom and Voss if I recall correctly built aircraft in the WW2.

Mychael

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

if you want to know how to do this correctly IM me, i can suggest where you might like to learn the trade, if you care to move
    Surely that hull has an overall superviser for the paint job?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.