Hello All

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Dana Scully, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Dana Scully

Dana Scully New Member

Good Evening Ladies and Gents,
    I'm new to the forums here and it is ever good netiquette to post a brief introduction... thus:
    My partner and I are the proud owners of a 1976 Paceship 26' aux. sailboat. We bought the boat in the fall of 2005 and it has been on the hard at Bock Marine near Beaufort, NC for 2 years now. The Paceship is the 4th and largest boat we have owned. We also own an American 14.6 that we ply on the lake a few mile from our home.
    As it turned out, the Paceship needed a considerable amount of work - some I haven't yet even manged to research sufficiently to scope. The boat is/was very wet, leaking from all of the ports. One of them dumped water into a cabinet, which before we purchased it, happened to contain a bunch of pine slats for some reason... the up shot of all that was that a horrible fungus attacked all the wood of the cabinets and I had to pull it all out. I have just started rebuilding that. Meanwhile, we have replaced the worst of the leaking ports and put in one of those Nicro solar powered ventalators, stripped most of the bottom paint, made and/or recovered the cushions, put a boot on the mast and many other small projects. I still have to figure out what is up with the deisel engine, rewire the boat, do something about plumbing, get the bottom barrier coated and painted and a host of other issues.
    You may be wondering why we took on such a large project, and the answer is that this boat is a stepping stone towards one day going cruising, and so learning how everything works and how to fix it all was part of the deal. Low entry cost and paying as we go was part of the idea too.

2. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

"There's them's that sail" and then "there's them's that fix and sail". The latter being the purist (if slightly masochistic) branch of the sailing fraternity.
    Welcome aboard.

Mychael

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Welcome to the forum, hope you get some good time in here when you not 'fixing' or 'sailing' It's nice at time to talk to others of the same inclination - reminds you your not the only 'headcase' in the world! Not a bad bunch on here - just don't tell 'em I said so!

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

G'day Dana

Got any pics of your restoration work?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.