Hello

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by mlaranjinha, Sep 14, 2007.

1. PsiPhi

PsiPhi Newbie

I think the English pulled it down again - no choice really, otherwise they have to drink Irish Whiskey :p :p

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Too damn true, and it was ruining the punch ups as well! I mean by the time you'd climbed the bloody wall you was too tired to fight!

3. hansp77

hansp77

Poor Manuel, who would guess at first just how 'open' the open discussion can get:rolleyes:
    this is like some sort of maritime 'meet the parents' or something... thats right we've even got the wedding- Timgoz, you guys are officially the Fockers:p

Welcome Manuel- don't mind these guys, their not so bad, untill you get to know them:p:D

Hans.

4. safewalrus

hey Hans nobies heard from manuel for some time, guess he's run away screaming - I guess I would!

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

After talking to my friend Capt. Henry Webb in Nain, Labrador, we have changed our plans.

Now, at Henry's invitation, we shall stay at one of his rental homes, and then accompany him on one of his charter trips to the far north Labrador Coast. In the past I crewed for him. As long as I can still haul the anchors in quicker than the windlass ,and avoid the icebergs while at the wheel, we shall have all costs while there covered by him as a wedding gift.

That is fine with me as a free trip is like free beer; always better. Plus Soraya will get to experience a couple authentic Inuit dog sled teams.

Take care.

Tim

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Let’s say that was a convenient and long alliance. They helped us fight with success the Napoleonic invasion and most of all, helped us get reed of the Spanish that had come to Portugal by Royal succession. In 1581 Filipe II, king of Spain, was the legitimate heir of the Portuguese throne, after the death of the Portuguese king, D. Sebastião (killed very young, in battle in the North of Africa).

After 60 years the Portuguese started and fought with success a liberation war that went on for 28 years, till the final victory. The British have always given us a discreet but trustworthy support.

Of course, Napoleon was an enemy of England and defeating him in Portugal the British helped prevent an invasion of their own Island. Spanish were also traditional and mighty enemies of the British, so it was good politics to help a small nation that fought their enemies.

In the end I believe they deserve to share our wine with us. :D

7. safewalrus

Well said Vega - the oldest alliance in the world still stands strong despite those who do not like it and want to destroy it, and us!

8. safewalrus

Tim, sounds a sensible way to start out together, then if you find it's not for you (both of you) you've lost nothing; if it is you have more experience of what YOU (again both of you) want in your own boat - go for it buddy and enjoy!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.