Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Community > Open Discussion: All Things Boats & Boating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 AM

Rep: 1173 Posts: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBuilder View Post
Here is why you need to bring a firearm as part of your vessel's equipment to the Caribbean...

"Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was robbed at by an intruder armed with a machete last week, while vacationing in the Caribbean island of Nevis, where the family own a vacation home, a court spokeswoman said Monday.

His wife and two other guests were in the home at the time, but officials say no one was hurt in the incident."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/13...ome/?hpt=hp_t3

He got lucky! This stuff happens all the time and has happened frequently to boaters throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America.

This is what firearms on board are for, not for some imaginary Rambo movie scenario with RPGs and AK47's.

And... look at this from the comments below the story:

"My wife and I rented a house in Nevis a year ago for vacation and were robbed at gun point. Luckily all we lost was some cash. It's a beautiful island. But the crime will destroy tourism there."

Now, am I really not supposed to be taking charter guest to the beautiful Caribbean islands? C'mon. That's exactly where people want to go on charters.
Then look at the reality of American Gun Culture....

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. - It was about 2:30 Friday morning, and John Tabbutt thought he heard an intruder.

He got his .38-caliber revolver, saw a figure in the hallway and fired a shot.

But the person he shot was no intruder. It was Nancy Dinsmore, his live-in fiancee, the woman he was to marry the next day.

Dinsmore died on the hallway floor from a single gunshot wound to the chest, Winter Springs Police Chief Kevin Brunelle said.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Previous Member

we dont need guns !!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 AM

Rep: 2050 Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael pierzga View Post

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. - It was about 2:30 Friday morning, and John Tabbutt thought he heard an intruder.

But the person he shot was no intruder. It was Nancy Dinsmore, his live-in fiancee, the woman he was to marry the next day.

Dinsmore died on the hallway floor from a single gunshot wound to the chest, Winter Springs Police Chief Kevin Brunelle said.
That isn't 'the' reality, because it's hardly a typical scenario. Tabbut was obviously a fool, who pulled the trigger with no idea who he was shooting at or why, and without knowing where his girlfriend was -- even though she most likely shared his bed and he should have realized she wasn't beside him. If he hadn't owned a gun, he'd probably have bashed her brains out with a baseball bat instead.

At least she's been spared a lifetime of living with a trigger-happy idiot...
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 AM

Some years ago I was in the Carribean.

Boatboys are pesky little fellows who paddle out to you and shout...Hey Skip, need any Bannanas...Hey Skip, need your waterline washed .
A boatboy swam to an American boat...shouted out, no answer...climbed aboard to shout thru the companionway and had his head blown off.

He was 9 years old and loved by all the yachts because he was a friendly hard worker.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
we dont need guns !!
By which I assume you mean I don't 'need' guns. Sorry Charlie, that isn't your call. If you don't believe you need guns, by all means don't own any. As irrational and clueless as you are about weapons and self defense, you'd be more of a menace than a protector anyway.... you'd probably wind up shooting yourself in the leg, or wiping out one of your own kids.

But don't try to stuff your irrational prejudices down my throat, and expect me to follow your example.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 AM

What happens with the yachts is that since Americans are typically heavily armed they are treated like Lepers. No one wants to get close..no one wants to jump aboard and adjust a fender when an American boats is bonking the dock, no one wants to jump aboard and rescue a boat dragging anchor because they might get shot.

Leave your guns at home and learn how to be street smart and safe like the rest of us.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:

Boatboys are pesky little fellows who paddle out to you and shout...Hey Skip, need any Bannanas...Hey Skip, need your waterline washed .
A boatboy swam to an American boat...shouted out, no answer...climbed aboard to shout thru the companionway and had his head blown off.

He was 9 years old and loved by all the yachts because he was a friendly hard worker.
An anecdote that proves nothing. Are you trying to claim the typical American gun owner blows away little 9-year old boatboys? You might as well cite a news story about a Frenchman involved in a hit and run accident, as proof that people should have no right to own Citroens.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Rep: 796 Posts: 1,203
Quote:

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2009/0...rmed-citizens/

< copyrighted material removed as per http://www.learnaboutguns.com/copyright/ >
Police are more than 5 times more likely to shoot innocents as civillians defending themselves.

Regulating and banning guns has the effect of disempowering the law-abiding while supplying advantage to the criminal.

This principle is not novel. For several years, the town of Kennesaw, Georgia had an ordinance requiring every resident to keep at least one firearm in the home. As a result, the home burglary rate in Kennesaw fell by over 80%. A similar regulation was recently passed in the town of Virgin, Utah.

Before you conclude that Georgia and Utah are populated by the misguided, consider the nation Switzerland, which actually issues military firearms and ammunition to be kept in the home. Possession of pistols and semi-automatic firearms by civilians is only modestly regulated. The resulting crime rate is surprisingly low – lower, in fact, than the crime rate in Great Britain, where gun control laws are the most restrictive in the western world.

Even the great pacifist leader Mahatma Ghandi comprehended the significance of a population's right to be armed. Said Ghandi in an autobiography: "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Said Hitler in his Edict of March 18, 1938: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall."

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/infor...e.asp?CatID=43

Last edited by Yobarnacle : 02-14-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: < copyrighted material removed as per http://www.learnaboutguns.com/copyright/ >
Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Previous Member

Quote:

so who do you blame the young fella or the drug crazed boatie ??

When i lived in Tahiti some of the local stall owners used to pack up and leave when the american tourists landed by what even means and hit town , Plane or boat !! because the coudnt stand there attatudes and there voices were so loud you could hear them coming way before you caught sight of them . Always Women in front talking loud and gross and husbands with great big pot guts and a camera strung round there necks wandering along behind puffing away of a cigar or some other foul smelling thing !!.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
What happens with the yachts is that since Americans are typically heavily armed they are treated like Lepers. No one wants to get close..no one wants to jump aboard and adjust a fender when an American boats is bonking the dock, no one wants to jump aboard and rescue a boat dragging anchor because they might get shot.

Leave your guns at home and learn how to be street smart and safe like the rest of us.
You're so full of it your eyes have turned brown, Michael. American boaters aren't heavily armed as a rule, and people aren't so irrationally frightened of them that no one will lend a helping hand.

Save the bedtime stories for your children and grandchildren....
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
so who do you blame the young fella or the drug crazed boatie ??

When i lived in Tahiti some of the local stall owners used to pack up and leave when the american tourists landed by what even means and hit town , Plane or boat !! because the coudnt stand there attatudes and there voices were so loud you could hear them coming way before you caught sight of them . Always Women in front talking loud and gross and husbands with great big pot guts and a camera strung round there necks wandering along behind puffing away of a cigar or some other foul smelling thing !!.
In other words, you just hate Americans. The longer this discussion goes on, the more obvious that becomes.

I'm gonna call BS on your story. I'm betting that when the Americans hit the beach in Tahiti, the local stall owners all hang in and collect every dollar they can. Because selling their crap to tourists is what they do for a living....
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 AM

I spent 13 years in the Carribean and have beautiful memories. The terrible conditions now faced in the Caribbean were caused by the yachts. Drugs. Four mates from Ohio fly in, charter a boat for two weeks...a boys holiday..and need entertainment. Soon the whole waterfront becomes the preferred zone for bad ass drug dealers to peddle their cocaine. Recently a yachty was shot dead on the dock after an argument with a BLACK GUY. The yachty had marijuana , cocaine and a wedge of cash in his pocket. Perhaps you could say that in addition to the drugs and cash in his pocket he should have been armed.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 AM

Rep: 415 Posts: 1,046
when the american cruise ships come into albany in western australia the shops all stay open longer and the chamber of commerce provides a free bus to get all the tourists into town. the town makes millions out of these ships. and eden in nsw is getting a waterfront revamp to get them in there as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I spent 13 years in the Carribean and have beautiful memories. The terrible conditions now faced in the Caribbean were caused by the yachts. Drugs. Four mates from Ohio fly in, charter a boat for two weeks...a boys holiday..and need entertainment. Soon the whole waterfront becomes the preferred zone for bad ass drug dealers to peddle their cocaine. Recently a yachty was shot dead on the dock after an argument with a BLACK GUY. The yachty had marijuana , cocaine and a wedge of cash in his pocket. Perhaps you could say that in addition to the drugs and cash in his pocket he should have been armed.
How does an American getting shot dead by a drug dealer in the Caribbean reinforce your argument that Americans have no business owning guns? I don't quite see the connection....

I'd also like to point out that most Americans don't carry marijuana, cocaine and 'a wedge of cash' in their pockets ... at home, in the Caribbean, or anywhere else. So your attempt to paint the dead yachtie as a typical American falls a little flat.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 AM

Rep: 796 Posts: 1,203
Never been a yachtsman. I've towed all over Carribean I dock at industrial docks. No problems. I like asking our agent to reccomend a good cook. I pay for the ingredients and a fair price for the cooking. I have an island feast delivered to the tug for $200 or less. My crew enjoys experiencing the "home cooking". Amazing the differences in cuisine island to island.