Great site here with great stuff...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Gbenz, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Gbenz

Gbenz Junior Member

And how did I know this?

Have yet to find one suck word, no pee on me signs & very little personal confab.

Have been reading, reading & reading.
    Thanx to Franklin for the Supersonic thread already for it proves that great ideas still abound in this troubled world irregardless of what lawyers say.

Many, many threads that have brought some real eye openers to both my son & I. I've been away from the water sense teen years while he stayed & became a coast guard Captian who flies a 40ft tri motor Bigg bass boat around in the great Atlantic sea.

Found ya'll with google & coming from Southern Airboat com with a yen to further the cause of Airboats. Have 3300hrs Commercial flight time & served almost 20yrs as a railroad engineer with records in the books of one train at 4.88 miles in length. Weight wise in Texas at 29700 tons.

I love everything that holds a diesel motor & the folks at Southern Airboat wasn't real excited abt this as one would expect. They said tome it was all abt HP, & TQ was not the answer. Even the propeller folks want to size up with hp & so here I am with yet another THING to make you say, Oh no not another one!

I'm an idea person as I see many of you are & gave all mine away for promises which netted me abt what I started out with which was & still is if you know what I mean.

Now I come here as with others without much Grammer. Somehow when the teach said grammer I thought she said grandma & I just figured that was a little slow for me & I passed. So teachers & proff's please be lite, we'll all arrive safely.

Thanx, Gben

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Gbenz,
    You WILL probably get someone correcting your spelling at some point (native English-speakers are usually fair game) and it will probably be me that does it :)
    Don't take offence, please, since I only do it to edjimacate. Or to upset migholetto...
    Steve

3. yipster

yipster designer

speaking of hearing didnt he say "grandma"?
    than again i'm not totally native :D

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Gbenz

Just claim that Texan is another language !

From memory it was Mitsubishi (Japan) in WWII that was given a very short time to come up with a long range light bomber. They re-engined an existing model with diesel engines which gave it 40% more range. So I think you can do it with your air boat.

cheers

5. Gbenz

Gbenz Junior Member

Thanx Guys,

And I did have a little grammer after all sense I understood edjimacate at least.

They had a guy over at Off Road magazine website that kept hounding everyone abt their words & the editor finally got enough complaints to stop it. Lo, he is their proof reader of all things = Mr Perrfectt indeed.

I've read a lot of you guys writing already & much more togo.

Abt Japan type, largest diesel engine for search & see their 100,000hp engine with cyls 6ft across, two stories in height & a wt of 2000 tons.

Now this is my prob rite here. I think of so many more things to say & I just keep pecking. I must do better because on some of the sites I visit just using toooo much real estate. The DieselPlace Admins said he was going to start charging me beyond so much space. He was kidding of course but this is one of the reasons I guess I use shortstuff when I type.

Later Guys son found a mistake in my #'s in the other thread under design.

Gben

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Then try this:
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=541
    [​IMG]

More on the Atlas AH-100; hovercraft here:
    http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=542

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

8. Gbenz

Gbenz Junior Member

Thanx Kach,

The pic looks just like what we were seeing Sunday pm at Green Cove Port. At one time there were over 500 Navy ships stationed here & it was also a Navy pilot training base.

When we were kids maybe 6 or 7 Pappa would drive us there usually just before darkness where we watched the night takeoffs & landings. They didn't have radios & they went by the green, red & white signals. And of course the many colored lights on the runways & taxiways. The beauty of it all touched me in such a way I decided at that age what I wanted todo someday. Planes & trains & I'm finally getting around to boats.

Diesel Electric is another good thing but it has generally been used like on railway where the added weight is not a problem. But now with the fuel cost as itis boats will more than likely go to it's inherent advantage.

When the Grumman Mohawk(AO1 or OV1) was being developed I sketched out one that would need only one engine. This mid mtd turbine would power a hydraulic pump & send the pressure to a hyd motor in each wing to drive the two propellers. The weight of the pump & motors was the only thing that kept the design from being a reality. Just say Turbine Reliability has become awesome.

But today with the lighter weight metals we could mount an airboat engine at the mid point of the boat & send the pressure fluid to the rear if we needed to.

Be back, thanx Kach,

Gben