Google Earth

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Thanks, I'll try that to see the dates.

Mychael

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Re: out-of-date images
    Remember that the whole Google Earth / Google Maps satellite project is, in fact, photographed by satellite. The camera satellite is locked into a particular orbit- one that will eventually take it over most of the world's surface. But it's not possible to steer the satellite in a particular direction; it can only be nudged around a bit. The Google Earth project requires definitive (vertical), or nearly vertical, photography- oblique shots don't work too well. It's also necessary to have negligible cloud cover over the area in question, and the sunlight must be at an angle that does not cause excessive glare off lakes. Essentially you have all the difficulties of conventional air photography, plus the added complication of a fast-moving satellite only passing over a particular region every few months. Although updating the images is an ongoing task, Google seems more concerned about getting one-metre coverage over larger areas. They do this as weather and the sat's orbit make possible- for instance, Trout Creek (Ontario), pop. maybe 1500, has one-metre coverage while Kingston (170k pop) is at 5-metre. Satellite photos from two years back should hardly be considered outdated, even though some things may have changed since then.

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Some people ,--apparantly search the earth for an aircraft in flight, or a school of wales. Dont know why!!

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Here is my google earth coordinates. 6.18.08-77N 99.50.57-13 E

I would be interested to see coordinates of other members boats, yards, house, favourie skiing spots. yacht clubs. ETC

6. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Here is where I'm at. The placemark isnt dead on, but its close. Ocean is only 3mi. away. Very nice. Cheap Lobstah too!

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Jeees fig theres not much going on round there!! Is that your house to the left of the arrow? Wheres the pub then? wheres Maine? --Australia? How did you get the picture on the screen like that?

8. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Oops! Actually, my place is behind the arrow, off the road that curves under the "G". Nope, not alot goes on up here. We are the upper North East of the U.S. 43*34'16.88N 70*23.03.70W
    The pub? About 3 mi. away. The whole state only has 1.5 mil. people in it.
    Under "File" (I think), save the image, say to your Desktop. When you go to post something here, click "Go Advanced". Click "Manage Attachments", then "browse". Find the image, double click it, then hit "Upload". When its done, close the box and its attached to your post.
    Hope that helps!
    -Figgy

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok,-- I got it, I think, this is where I am in Langkawi island Malaysia. My boat is the cat half way down the dock closest to the wall. Cant see much!!

Theres the Sheraton Perdana resort to the right and a shopping mall to the left,-- Mc donalds N stuff.

Attached Files:

10. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Map

Hello, the google earth is not clear... the most i get is this, wonder what figgy and Jack use to see so clear?:(

It is the night or just limitation of the program?

Attached Files:

11. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

5554X- Do you have the latest version of google earth? Maby they havent taken current pictures. In the pic I posted, houses that are here now, are not in the picture.

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

well, I have registered the program and show my email and register code. I just cant seem to zoom any nearer than the pic I have posted:( That is worse than the map I have at home:(:(:(

Well this is a cash burn routine I guess or my city is unimportant to be updated. (good in a way maybe :))

13. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Earthbrowser

Before anybody else tries to help our friend W... out, he is using Earthbrowser to create "foggy" image's. This screenschot is from Earthbrowser not Google Earth.

By the way, Earthbrowser is nice, it creates animated images of the cloud cover around the world for the last few days and tracks icebergs to name a few.

(Hans, it's also available for the Mac)

(W... where exacly do you live in Kalimantan?)

14. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Yes , Wei the student live in Asia, I just can show you the detail of the house I stay, only cloud... I love cloud only if I can see my home.

15. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Why don't you use Google Earth then instead of trying to mislead us with images from a different program?
    All pictures in GE are selected on the absence of clouds.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.