Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Where is your data refuting the sun has been more active?
    The only refutations I could find were diminshed light meter readings in Israel [attributed to atmospheric dust. In fact they said it was carbon pollution! :) ] and some lower evaporation readings in Russia. :)

Main Sequence stars are those that "burn" Hydrogen into Helium in their cores.
    Get slowly brighter with age.
    http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit2/mainseq.html

http://science.nasa.gov/heliophysics/heliophysics-data-centers/
    check the sunspots. magnetic solar storms. it's the suns magneto-sphere that blows away cosmic rays that make clouds and cool us. More active sun, less clouds, =global warming.

Attached Files:

2. Yobarnacle

Your data is doctored, Boston. Your chart is fraudulent. The SIMPLE reality is, your hero Hansen is a discredited political hack making millions off global warming, while holding a government job at NASA as a climate scientist. Should be fired, tried and imprisoned!

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Try actually clicking on the link I provided. I didn't put it there just because I thought it made my post look more believable.;)
    Baloney. What you're hearing is more noise from the American Petroleum Institute. It has aggressively ramped up its campaign against climate change lately, fearing its members' profits will be interfered with.

Meanwhile the scientific consensus on climate change is growing, not crumbling. Even the American Association of Petroleum Geologists is onboard and admitting the existence of anthropomorphic influences on global temperatures.

Meanwhile, you're back to the necessity of positing a conspiracy the likes of which the world has never seen -- one involving thousands upon thousands of scientists, academics, reporters and editors, politicians and government officials -- as your rebuttal to climate change science.

To what end is everyone involved in such a conspiracy? To impose some nebulous liberal, collectivist agenda that will imprison us all in green chains and destroy our God-given rights, make us walk to work, and force our children to do their homework by candlelight? Please.....:p:p

4. Yobarnacle

Billions and trillions of dollars in carbon taxes to climate scientists et al: to research a solution to global warming for one motive. :)
    and they're being well rewarded NOW for maintaining the dogma. Look how much Hansen gets ON TOP of his NASA salary!

Oh, i did click on your link. been there many times before too. :)

5. Yobarnacle

The truth of Bostons tired too many times posted fraud chart.

Attached Files:

6. Yobarnacle

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Apparently it never sank in, then. Because the actual data is there.....

But again: matching graph against graph, chart against chart, interpretation against interpretation and argument against argument is all just flogging the dong at our level of expertise.

The essential question is why you believe an entire field of scientific study is a fraud. A field, I might add, that's acknowledged and respected by scientists in other fields worldwide..... do you really believe the overwhelming majority of scientists are that clueless and/or that dishonest?

That was my original point, and you've never really addressed it. Instead, you keep setting off more and fancier fireworks..... which are interesting, but in the long run just a sideshow.

I remember when conservatives at least pretended to put their faith in science and facts, instead of in rhetoric, and believed education was good for people and for the country. Nowadays, they seem to have morphed into the anti-science, anti-education, anti-intelligence crowd. Anyone who has even a whiff about him of being better educated or more thoughtful than Joe Barfly down at the Dew Drop Inn is regarded with suspicion, instead of respect.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Its right out of the denialist handbook Troy, the revolving argument game also known as the Gish Gallop. Pure fantasy and obfuscation. Agnotology at its worst. Doesn't make a lick of sense, never did, never will. Its not even worthy of rebuttal with its ludicrously misinformed premises and assumptions. Not a moment of rational science involved in any of it. Conspiracy paranoia and more conspiracy is the excuse by which some refuse to change with the times.

The simple reality is that when 97% now more like 98% since they "confirmed" the consensus just a few months ago, agree in any science, its damn near a miracle. Scientists rarely agree, each click seems to prefer its own pet theories, unless that is we're talking climate change, then all of a sudden the level of agreement skyrockets and we see a near universal nod to the theory of Rapid Global Climate Shift.

Cheers
    and my hats off to you Troy, but your wasting your time.
    He aint going to learn
    what he don't want to know

Cheers
    B

9. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

Wow, that nailed it!

10. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

How much do you get paid for cutting and pasting this rubbish?

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Let's not do that, Ray. Although we may disagree with Yob, I don't doubt his honestly. He's posting stuff that seems to back up what he really believes....

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The funniest I have seen lately is the suggestion that the name of the
    new Aardman movie was changed for US audiences because they will be
    turned off by the word "Scientists".

In the USA...
    The Pirates: Band of Misfits
    Everywhere else...
    The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists

13. Yobarnacle

I'm sure, probably MOST scientists are ethical, intelligent dedicated people.

But who is making these spurious graphs? I know Hansen is at NASA. He's the head honcho climatologist there.

Who gets their name in the headlines? The top global warming activist scientists. And the media exxagerates even what THEY say.

The folks actually doing research and maybe seeing their data accurately portrayed or skewed by corrections. What can they say, except parrot the party line.

14. Yobarnacle

Okay.
    Gentlemen.
    Let's look for points of agreement.
    Then we can agree to disagree where we disagree. :) Say that fast 6 times!

15. Yobarnacle

Would ya'll agree that :

During the last 150 years, earth’s average temperature has increased and earth has slowly become warmer, mostly between the years 1910 and 1940. Not much change occurred prior to that, from 1850 to 1910. From 1940 to 1975, there was a slight cooling trend, probably related to increased sunlight reflecting from the atmosphere, as industrialization evolved along with the air pollution that it generated following World War II. Beginning with the 1970s, the pace picked up. The average global temperature increased more rapidly—at a rate of 0.2°C (.36°F) per decade. The warmest years on record are the most recent.

Hundred years ago, the average temperature of the earth was about 13.7°C (56.5°F). Today, it is closer to 14.4°C (57.9°F).

http://www.environmentabout.com/27/how-earth’s-temperature-is-changing-past-150-years-history

about the author:
    Keshav Saini is an Engineer turned Environmentalist who quit his job to become an environmental activist. Environment About is his first project and an ongoing effort to spread awareness about various environmental issues.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.