Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Welcome to my world Frosty. Unfortunately its a classic example of how those that realize the hard reality of the situation are basically helpless to overcome the ignorance of those that don't. And its by there inaction that we all will be basically screwed in the long run. I already run my vehicle on alternative fuels and I'm rigging the house to do the same. But unless everyone digs in and refuses to pay the oil and gas industries blood money then nothings really going to change. CO2 will continue to rise and our planet continue down a road to ruin. With some playing second fiddle all the way.

Just got my new 3/4 hp 12V motor today to replace the two 1/3 hp 24v motors I had. It was just to much of a pain in the *** trying to run a 24V motor off a 12V system. I'd have been better off saving all that time and hassle but oh well lesson learned. Now I can run directly off the big 200g tank and not have to bother stopping to fill the two on board tanks. Means non stop for as long as I can stay awake or ~3500 miles whichever comes first.

Means I'm a split second from starting that pyrolysis system I've been planing for so long. Turns used tires into diesel fuel + a little gas and other volatiles which can be used to run a gen set.

Long story short some of us are moving into the next century but most are still wallowing in there grand fathers world of drill baby drill. Which is going to end up the death of us all. Tragic really, that we know exactly what the problem is but so many refuse to lift a finger to help future generations. Selfish in the extreme if you ask me but oh well, I guess we each have to answer for our actions eventually.

Cheers
    B

2. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

My post and the spirited responses were nutted by moderator as being unrelated to boats...so how does global warming relate to boats....and not get nutted???

Curious and curious

3. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

It seems that a thread about the science of climate change, ice retreat, sea level change, etc. could be informational to boaters. But if it should turn into a thread where other members are finding it offensive or people are simply jabbing at eachother, that's another thing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

agreed, but it seems that some people get offended at the mere mention of climate change and its impacts on our world, of both boating and non boating life. The changing sea levels, alterations in wave maximums, intensity and duration of storm and storm surges. As well as the retreat of ice opening up passages not previously available to navigation I would think was of prime concern to this community as it all directly effects the state of any given design. Although I've heard it said that its just a mater of shifting windows of opportunity it seems that aspect of the change only applies to noncommercial boating. In any case I would think an informed conversation discussing these changes would be of key interest on this forum.

As I struggle to decide what my retirement build might be I've yet to really hear a good critique of what style of vessel or what modifications might help to keep that build sea worthy despite the inevitable changes coming our way. We've been over sail or power, hull shape and methodology, power constraints, sea keeping, even mileage, but as of yet I've still only gotten a few pertinent responses concerning how to deal with the changing sea scape. Is it really just a mater of going to sea less or running more ?

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Boston is burning alternative fuels. waste oil ect and soon used tires. yet claims he's concerned about co2 emmissions. What a hipocrit!
    My boat is already all electric drive and sail. I'm actively seeking an off grid source of electricity that doesn't rely on fossil fuel.
    I think global warming is a scam. I'm certain of it. It's a political movement with cult like fervor.
    Yet I'm doing more for the reduction of polutants in the air than the virulent alarmist Boston and many of his cohorts!
    Anybody else see the complete lack of logic in Bostons thinking?

I'm doing my part because fuel is getting expensive and in case of societal colapse, unavailable. Societal colapse is where the warmists want to drive us.

1 person likes this.
  6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hear, hear!

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well maybe now we can move forward with a meaningful conversation. Cat had some good input on it a while back, mentioning that he just goes around the storms, but increased maximum wave heights and stronger winds I would think make larger boats even more advantageous and smaller boats even more limited, IE it gets more expensive to be the same amount of safe.

From
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100125123233.htm
    and from
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...74_-tQ&usg=AFQjCNGUrmAGytWmiTQ3fqEVbqgqp8CEvQ

and again from
    http://www.celsias.com/article/wind-getting-stronger-and-waves-getting-bigger/

how anybody can think that won't effect yachting and shipping just doesn't make any sense.

Anyway might be time for the deniers to step aside, stop interrupting the conversation and allow for an informed discussion of the current changes, the expected changes, and how best to prepare for them

personally I always wanted commuter style but being as how a cat is a more stable platform I'm having to reconsider, including how much cash it will take to ensure a safe retirement assuming I can afford to build the size and strength boat I might need in the PNW

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It's the same with cars. As the warmnologists force us into smaller cars to save the planet it gets costlier, not just in money, but lives too.

9. Yobarnacle

this is not a global warmist cabal social thread. the thread is about who believes in manmade global warming and who believes it's not manmade if it even exists or not. quit trying to hijack the thread to your narrow point of view Boston!
    You won't suceed

10. Yobarnacle

1/4 % increase per year average. Even if it's true, it most probably is natural cycle and insignificant. I have been going to sea for 43 years all over the world untill I retired a year ago. I have over 12,000 days at sea. That's 12 thousand days underway, not at the dock. Who presumes to tell me about the oceans?

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

far from the "warmmologysts" forcing anything, the smaller cars offered by Japan and European market were in such high demand once the oil embargo of the 70's hit that ole Detroit was just about throwing cars in the dryer trying to get em small enough fast enough. And the safety margins on those cars went up and up all at the same time. Its when some clod in a huge bio diesel antique F250 weighing in at 4+ tons fully fueled runs into that gas guzzling Lincoln your probably driving that people start getting hurt.

love
    B

On the other hand I guess it is a whole lot easier to just blame everything on the, carefully looks both ways and then wispers "conspiracy" isn't it. :p

12. Yobarnacle

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My bad for responding to another distraction. The simple reality is CO2 is on the increase and dramatically so

[​IMG]

CO2 is the primary greenhouse gas comprising roughly 2/3 of the greenhouse gas content of the atmosphere and an increase in CO2 clearly has had an effect on temps as the graph shows in no uncertain terms.

denying that CO2 is a greenhouse gas or that its been tied to temp throughout the interglacial period is simply ludicrous.

failing to plan for a changing world is equally as ludicrous.

If your building a boat thats expected to last into the next century, you'd be better off planing for several things. Fewer days of safe weather windows. Higher insurance costs, Higher fuel costs, Higher docking fees. Sure everything is going up, but those things directly effected by Climate Shift will be going up even more than the typical inflationary levels.

If I'm to make my retirement what I've always wanted, I'll have to be thinking rationally about our changing world, and how the climate changes impact my retirement ideals.

14. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

People who have 12001 or more days experience, individually and collectively?
    Your logic is flawed, and your mathematics is rudimentary.

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have spent over 16000 days on the land but still don't know everything.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.