Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Blah etc.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

does "Blah etc" mean you are willing to tell us the difference between a forcing and a feedback ? And why CO2 is considered the former and water vapor the later ????????

3. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

Yea Boston you sure do associate and mingle with some real nut cases with some far out ideas to say the least...:(

Despite the fact that climate research labs like those at the CRU of East Anglia and NASA still refuse to release the source data for their experiments supporting their assertions that man causes global warming, and the fact that East Anglia’s rigged computer modeling methods were exposed through the Climategate emails, the Bioethics community continues to use manmade global warming as the boogieman rationalization for scientific tyranny. This includes suggestions of medicating the populace in order to make them more “empathetic” to the dangers of climate change:
    How Engineering the Human Body Could Combat Climate Change

The climate change dynamic invariably leads to calls for population reduction. Arguments have been recently presented stating that because newborn babies do not have fully formed cognition, they are “not yet human” and should be susceptible to legal abortion (of course, men like Steven Pinker, Noam Chomsky, Carl Jung, and many others have proven that there are multiple inherent qualities to children at birth, and Bioethicists have no idea how much of our personality is a part of that, but hey, who am I to argue with a Bioethicist): Bioethicists Argue for "After-Birth Abortion"

1 person likes this.
  4. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

Wow, you really couldn't make this paranoid poppycock up.

1 person likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I mentioned something about this a while back.

Ok so is that the end of the thread we agree that humans are contributive to global warming ---now what do you want to talk about.

Now the this big one. what do we do about it?

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Let's have a cook-outs, but not at the same time and in different locales.

Coal and oil are God's gift to man.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

No ya really couldn't Ray. Frosty there's lots we could do about it. Issue isn't that it couldn't all be changed for the better, its just that some people are so terrified of change that they'd rather go off a cliff than turn the steering wheel.

We've got lots of alternatives, Industry just isn't interested in using them, they've set up to use what resources they control and the idea of them lightening there grip on that control is the fundamental problem. Ever see that flick "Who Killed The Electric Car" really spells it out well.

Personally I just yesterday got that old truck of mine back on the road after a complete overhaul. Still needs a few things but runs just fine on oil and grease. Its a very simple mater of change and how much we either fear it or embrace it. Its coming like it or not, for better or worse. I say we might as well make the best of it and see that its a positive change rather than let the shysters that be control what direction we go in. The energy industry has proven again and again its complete lack of regard for our overall welbeing or we'd have moved away from oil ages ago. It took the gubment of India to finally bring down the cost of solar panels to a manageable number. Now lets hope someone else steps up and takes the next step, mas production of algae based bio diesel.

8. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

This will be farmed, right? Not in the ocean, right?

I'm with you on this one if it's farmed because if the economics work out, it actually contributes to the CO2 absorbtion and releases O2. Nice side benefits of growing the plants.

Hoyt: You are joking about coal, right? It ruined our ability to eat fish!

9. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

the statement "this statement can not be proved" is true. But if you proved it was true, it would then be false. Hence it cannot be proved. It's a famous conundrum

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yah its farmed, there are two primary methods being used in the start ups, One places ponds near waste water treatment plants and used the nutrients in the water to feed the algae, They also have CO2 absorbing materials that release that CO2 from the atmosphere to the water to further stimulate production. The second method uses vertical tubes to grow the algae in rather than vats/ponds. It saves a lot of space but uses more energy to produce because of all the pumping involved. Rumor has it that the stuff should end up costing about half of what present fuel prices are, so $2/gallon. But I'm not holding my breath on the price.

Just today in the BBC

the situation is fast becoming so frightening to those who actually study it that there starting to come up with some really desperate stuff. Its sad really, that so many people work so hard to study and understand the issue only to have industry belittle and slander all there hard work.

11. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

WHO SAYS YOU SCREW UP THE ATMOSPHERE BURNING HOWEVER MUCH OIL? It's speculation. I'ts an belief based agenda some people set out to prove, and aren't very honest about how they "prove" it!

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

who says we dont?,,the opposite people who say we do?

1 person likes this.
  13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Bos --Yes there are lots we could do, but politically we are facing a shear black wall and -- I hasten to add America is one of those countries that has least interest in doing so.

14. BPL

BPL Senior Member

What have you done to reduce your own contribution to global warming?

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

agreed Frosty, its embarrassing but true, My own country is consistently run by the lowest common denominator. Mostly based on the issues of our corporate oligarchy being the most self centered and egomaniac conglomerate imaginable. Its highly unlikely that anything meaningful will be done, if it means a change in resource control or is a mater of any alteration in the status quo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.