Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Boston
    The very next time you post this tone, I'll ignore you forever! Your LAST CHANCE!

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yikes

Again a storm of unsupported wildly inaccurate claims. Where to even begin.

OK so first wild claim about CO2
    Discovered to be a greenhouse gas in the early 1800s is the byproduct of combustion. The only remaining element of the equation is whats being combusted. if you would actually read the previous posts you'll find that 80% of our present energy consumption is made up of fossil fuels. Wild claim number one, busted. CO2 is our most prevalent greenhouse gas and the excess CO2 in the atmosphere is easily traced through mas isotopic analysis ( again see previous ) to the burning of fossil fuels.

Second wild claim
    CO2 doesn't drive climate change; again, yikes, where in the world do you come up with that. Every first year science student takes a basic chemistry class. CO2 was one of the first gasses discovered and its properties are extremely well understood. CO2 is a well known greenhouse gas and any alteration is the concentrations of it in the atmosphere must effect the radiative properties of that atmosphere. Its about as basic as basic gets.

Third wild claim
    Man made CO2 is 1% of the annual average. The correct number is ~30% of the total atmospheric CO2. No sense glossing this huge increase over with anything but the grim truth.

forth wild claim
    That many climate scientists reject the causal relationship between CO2 and climate shift. The correct number is something less than 3%. Given that the official consensus numbers among climate scientists are 97% agreement with the theory of Rapid Global Climate Shift.

That last half truth
    yes for some time it was not understood why CO2 looked like it lagged temp in the ice core data, the article you quote is 6 years old if I remember. However it is now understood that ice permeability varies dramatically and that variability is well within the lag found. As I have mentioned before in previous posts CO2s lagging temp is a function of ice permeability if you were to study the issue, you would find that the variability in the ice cores between the age of the ice and the age of the atmosphere locked inside is as much as 7k years. Well within range of variation. This is an issue that has been addressed recently and is easily found within the literature. If you read back through my postings you will find I went over this in detail with you ages ago. As usual, you aint going to learn, what you don't want to know.

In any case since we're quoting realclimate lets just include the entire section you cherry picked that last from

So once again the wildly inacurate claims punctuated with half truths and confusion is something that simply demands correction in no uncertain terms if we are to end this petty bickering brought about by a misinformation campaign hell bent on delaying positive action until its to late, and our childrens futures are lost to a run away greenhouse effect.

We must act and we must act now
    lest we induce the next and greatest extinction
    our own.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

again your grabbing one sound bite and not understanding the big picture. This following review of the 06 conference of meteorologists makes it clear the dissension in the ranks as to whether hurricane season and intensity is increasing or dramatically increasing. But there is no real debate that its increasing. Also the record shows your man at the NOAA to be one of the contrarians. One of the 3% you mentioned earlier.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Looks like I missed that last concerning my tone. I'm completely within the bounds of civility to correct false or misleading statements concerning an issue so incredibly important as to effect the very future of all mankind. We either act now and effectively or enter into a period of run away greenhouse effect which has in every case, historically resulted in mass extinction. The short term issues are how does Global Climate Shift effect our inclinations towards use of the oceans. The long term issues are how do we even survive this at all. At no point in the historical record have changes in the atmospheric chemistry ever occurred this rapidly and not resulted in a mass extinction lasting millions of years.

I'd say the importance of trying to get the message across accurately and forthrightly is far more important than any single persons misperception of my tone. I've been clear and concise and yes, I've laughed a little in this latest exchange some to. Although I did switch from simply laughing my *** off at the wildly inaccurate claims made in a previous exchange to actually addressing them in this one. What can I say, I gotta mix it up a little, just to kinda keep my mind alive. Repeating myself over and over gets kinda old, so forgive me if I try getting the message across a little differently each time.

cheers
    B

PS
    You gotta admit
    you do come up with some real whoppers
    co2 level is not relevant, does not drive climate change :p:p:p:p:D
    sorry but I got a real bang out of that one.

5. Yobarnacle

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

Boston
    Your post in 1780 shows scary pie charts of insignificant percentages. Total CO2 % in atmosphere is 39/thousandths of 1%. Of that minute fraction of a 1%, 97 % is natural emmissions and only 3 % is manmade. And CO2 is not even a strong greenouse effect gas! Water vapor is much more powerfull as greenhouse and is an almost negligible manmade water vapor % compared to natural causes.

The planet, it's peoples, it's governments are seeking new and renewable energy sources. We even admit there is a small if unlikely chance the dire predictions of global warmest models may occurr. I'm attempting to build a small energy efficient live aboard yacht.

You would better serve the forum and your fellow members, and yourself, if in this thread, you resigned your self appointed role as teacher.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

not sure I like that tone :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

sorry but again with the wild claims about CO2. Care to explain exactly where you got your numbers from :D

CO2 is aprox 60% of the total greenhouse gas concentration
    30% of that is the direct result of human activities

means that 2/3 is natural and 1/3 is manmade.

I know your really struggling with it but thems the facts :confused:

7. Yobarnacle

Your data is erroneous. Again I post my sources.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My numbers are far from erroneous, your attempting to compare apples to oranges.

of the greenhouse gasses CO2 makes up about 60%, its a simple fact. 30% of that is the direct result of mans activities

If you want to talk about the effect that has on the climate system then read this article ( reprinted with permission Jeff :) )

If you want to try and muddy the water again and confuse the issue by adding all components of the atmosphere and trying to imply by that the CO2 content is irrelevant then you might as well add the satellites and airplanes as well, you'd get about as accurate an idea of whats active and whats benign. Frankly I'd have to ask at some point why you keep up with the constant attempts to spread disinformation to the public. Are you getting paid to confuse the issue ? The oil and gas industry is famous for planting schills on various sites in an effort to spread there tripe. . :p:p:p:p Read the article, learn something, I'll go dig up the percentages of greenhouse gasses, although I doubt you'll be able to admit the error.

9. Yobarnacle

Manmade global warming? Bad science by panic mongers.

Attached Files:

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and why did I think for even a second you'd actually read the article presented.

Oh well

again
    you aint going to learn
    what you don't want to know

PS
    is that pie chart BS flavored :p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Here, let me help you with that reading problem a little ;-)

13. Yobarnacle

Boston,
    I told you I wouldn't tolerate any more disrespect from you. Warned you it was LAST chance. I'm at least as intelligent as you, more experienced because I'm older, and I unlike you, am sucessfull in life. I'm entitled to your respect. We can dissagree, but not disrespect. You are the original slow learner. You are on permanent ignore. Nothing you post will even be seen by me again. I've deemed you unworthy of notice!

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have some pi. 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265 3.14159265

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

a touch of sarcasm is always gong to slip into refuting climate denial. Its such a complete deviation from reality that its hard to take seriously. That and one wildly inaccurate claim after another, 1+1=3 stuff again. Its really hard to keep a straight face. Granted we're all going to be mistaken from time to time but its the consistency that so humorous after a while.

If you chose to bail thats your business but ignoring climate change and you ignore the changes to our oceans that are making such huge impacts in shipping every year these days. That northern rout that just opened up will effect world commerce in more ways than one. Before long those same changes will begin to impact yachting as well. Best be aware and prepared, rather than caught with your pants down.

or does ice melt when it gets colder :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.