Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

uhm

yah

sure

and who was it exactly who judged and awarded these, ahem, highly prestigious achievements ?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Boston, you are a hoot! You always make me laugh at your antics.

Have a great day if the snow isn't too deep.

3. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

"Proper climate science"??

It's a good thing science isn't decided by popular vote then.

Ray

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I don't think anyone's really taking any of those awards seriously Ray, If it was the national academy of science or something that handed them out, then you'd see some interest. But as it is, its just another fake, from the disinformation machine.

How about some real climate news

Methane release from the Siberian tundra up 30+% over the last 5 years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/14/arctic-permafrost-methane

I'd love to hear one of those "award winners" explain away how thats happening eh. I mean if the planets cooling, then why is it all that melting permafrost is suddenly and in the exact same time period they're claiming cooling, melting and releasing all that methane. It does take "warmer" temperatures to melt ice now doesn't it ?

Another one thats kinda interesting is that if its cooling, how come all these ships made it through the northern passage just last season.

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3737

Hmmmmmmm must be some of that special cooling, the type that melts ice and warms the planet these award winners are talking about.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Still doubtful that the Arctic ice is melting? Shipping companies are banking on it

http://io9.com/5846293/still-doubt-...-melting-shipping-companies-are-banking-on-it
    Kinda begs the question, is that trolling, to simply report that because of warming temps the ice is melting opening up more and more of the northern passage to shipping ?

Or is that climate denial ?

Money talks, these companies are scrambling to take advantage of the warmer climate while at the same time denying that the oil and gas industry is what caused it. Unfortunately these short term benefits are exactly that, short term. Wont be long in the accelerating climate shift induces other changes that are less favorable. Higher average and freak waves, stronger average and freak winds, longer average storms, stronger storms, More ships lost.

;-)

love
    B

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Warm is better than cold. It was coooold in Florida this previous weekend.

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Global warming mass hystericals don't dare admit their guilability and bad science even in face of failed prediction models. They've invested their credibility and "honor" in vociferously supporting the myth. When eventually they are proved wrong and the 4 billion annually the USA invests in climate science returns to a few million annual budget, these "scientists" will all be looking for new careers.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

even in the face of what ?

Sorry but the IPCC model predictions have proven themselves extremely accurate. Which is why its said to be a working theory, rather than just a hypothesis

There is however a wealth of media spin concerning the hype spread by the denial machine

The IPCC answer to it all is, in part, as follows
    another slice of reality concerning what few errors do exist

and lastly lets look at any vast volume by innumerable authors in at least a reasonable light when concerned with some few minor errors

So please
    if we are going to have a reasonable discussion concerning climate science maybe it would be helpful, rather than just make wild blanket statements, to be as specific as possible concerning alleged errors in model predictions. That way we can all look up the original text without any spin and check to see if there actually is an error and if so how exactly that impacts the science overall.

Wildly inaccurate statements with absolutely no supporting accredited literature simply represents more media spin by the denialist machine

Besides
    if climate science was all that off. How come it is again that the northern passage is opening up and shipping companies from all over the world are gearing up to begin sending there multi million dollar investments through this "mythical' sea rout. I mean, in a cooling world, wouldn't the ice be freezing ???????????????????

Cheers
    B

9. Yobarnacle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level

Sea level over most of earths history has been much higher than today.
    Also, melting of arctic sea ice and floating antartic shelf ice, if all of it melted, is not expected to change sea levels. Water expands when frozen, such that ice floats. The floating ice displaces its own weight of water in order to float. When it melts, it still weighs the same as it did as ice, but occupies less space. It now fills the under water void it occupied as ice equal to its weight as water. Only loss is the above water mass. The air the ice displaced is now occupied again by air. I'm surprised the global warmers aren't warning about the atmosphere descending due to lost ice! :D

10. Yobarnacle

global warming is a big business. Those feeding at the trough aren't leaving it voluntarily!

1 person likes this.
  11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Can you verify at what times in history sea levels were higher than today and have you compared that to the corresponding average global temp. Rather than just make a group of disjointed blanket statements of dubious accuracy why not provide some detail ? What peer reviewed papers have compared global average temp and its correlation to ocean levels. Of course sea levels have risen and fell in the past. The question is how rapidly did it occur and why. :D

I noticed also you mentioned the issue of floating ice vs land bound ice. Science has known about these dynamics since the dawn of science, are you suggesting that climate scientists forgot them ? :idea:

lowering atmosphere ? :eek: not likely but there has been some measurements taken showing that cloud levels are dropping. Not much but apparently enough to be noticed. I don't think anyone is particularly worried about it yet but its an interesting phenomenon to keep an eye on. :p

I'm also curious about the other post you made, the one insinuating that climate science was big business. I take it you didn't read any of the previous about the IPCC :eek: . Maybe you just missed the part about how there is only about 10 or so people who actually draw a salary at the IPCC and all others are volunteers :D. Also the IPCC does not pay for articles it considers nor does it fund any research :D. So I guess the real question is, do you actually know any climate scientists and can you document there lavish lifestyles :?:. I know a bunch of them being from Boulder myself and I can bear personal witness to the pathetic conditions most scientists live in. Stale beer and cold piza :eek:, for breakfast and that kinda thing. What exact trough are you referring to, or did you get your funding information backwards. See heartlandgate papers to learn more about industry funding of deniers in the media. :idea:

a brief extract from the recently revealed heartlandgate papers :p

[​IMG]

12. Yobarnacle

http://www.risingsunofnihon.com/japan/japanese-government-plans-to-w/

Looks like big business to me, nations spending billions, not just USA.
    Money is going to somebody. And the eco jonalism business? all the magazines and articles, and books?

Look at the url on my post about sea levels. theres a time line sealevel chart there.

I always document

13. Yobarnacle

here. See that our current level is lower than most of the eons of earths history?

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

The point is that its not going to the scientists, other than the deniers.

The politicians are just trying to scam money out of anything they can. No ones arguing that. Most of the mitigation schemes are exactly that. Schemes created by politicians to benefit themselves. Thats already a whole other thread. Spun off ages ago to keep the two issues where they belong, two different issues. One political, the other science.

Politics has been requested by our moderator to be verboten on the forum.

This thread is about the science of climate change and how climate change effects yachting in general. Increasing wave heights, wind speeds, changing current dynamics, rising sea levels, altering shore lines.

cheers
    B

PS
    I'm off to the alternative energy conference down town. Friend of mine is the organizer and I shouldn't keep her waiting.

15. Yobarnacle

try it again

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.