Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well Yobbar all I can say is you picked the right name :p:D

its just that what you on about is pretty off the wall. Are you actually trying to inform the readers that all scientists are a bunch of college professors.

Its almost impossible to get bunk past the peer review process by the way, so if there's faulty science in there somewhere its almost always filtered out. So how is it you claim its all bunk ?????

I'd be really curious as to how you'd explain what happens to all that excess CO2

Remember, of the 90 million barrels of oil we burn each day, there's something like 3 lbs of CO2 for each 1 lbs of oil we burn. Then add in all the coal we burn and you end up with billions of tons of CO2 that had never previously been going into the atmosphere.

and your suggesting that it has no effect on the atmosphere ?????????

yikes

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Bos, do you still drive that big belching diesel. The one that must be a poluting monster. And you burn used motor oil???? That has to be worse than 300 farting cattle.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's pure baloney, Hoyt. Most climate-related scientists are sincere professionals, doing their best to uncover and present the truth. If you really want to follow the money, look up the leading 'skeptics' and tally up their checks from Exxon and the Heartland Institute.

I don't expect you to believe that, since I'm guessing you also believe evolution is a Satanic conspiracy to undermine people's faith in the Lord....

By the way: I went ten days without my warfarin, because I was out of town and didn't have a chance to renew my prescription. My leg is the size of a redwood log, and so painful I can hardly walk. I had an ultrasound to confirm the obvious, and I'm back on warfarin -- along with some lovely self-administered subcutaneous shots, to tide me over until the warfarin builds up in my system. Nothing I love more than poking myself in my belly fat with pointy things. Fortunately, I have a lot of it (bellly fat, I mean).

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Baloney. Even if 1 lb of oil were 100 % carbon it could only combust into 1 pound of carbon plus whatever oxygen atoms attached to it. That would be 3.67 lbs. at a 1 to 2 ratio, but one of the by-products of combustion is water, which apparently the Great Lakes need, so free it up so their docks won't be land-locked and cold.

localenergy.org says 1.0 US gallon gasoline (0.833 Imperial gallon, 3.79 liter) = 2.42 kg carbon
    and 1.0 US gallon diesel/fuel oil (0.833 Imperial gallon, 3.79 liter) = 2.77 kg carbon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

"Density
    The specific gravity (or relative density) of gasoline ranges from 0.71–0.77 (719.7 kg/m3 ; 0.026 lb/in3; 6.073 lb/US gal; 7.29 lb/imp gal), higher densities having a greater volume of aromatics.[5] Gasoline floats on water; water cannot generally be used to extinguish a gasoline fire, unless used in a fine mist."

A pound of gasoline only contains 0.88 pound of carbon.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I run it on a mix, and no its running clean as any new diesel truck, I just rebuilt it. The majority of the fuel used is used veggie oil. In the winter I run it on used motor oil because it flows better and causes less problems overall when its below say 20°F. So far I've burned maybe 50 gallons of the stuff this winter. but I've got a few hundred gallons of veggie oil in the backyard just waiting to go. So the answer to your question is yes. I proudly drive an alternative fueled vehicle, and the fuel I burn is mostly carbon neutral, although not all.

Why what are you doing to try and help out ? :D

Troy
    take care of that leg a little, you might need it some day. :D

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I drive a small, non-poluting 4 cy. Subaru. But if I win the lottery I'm going to buy a Kodiak
    pick-up.

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

the consensus is a lie.

There is not a consensus that mankind is contributing to Global Warming!.

There is not even a consensus that Global Warming is occurring!

More than 19,000 Scientists have signed a petition against GLOBAL WARMING

http://www.zimbio.com/Global Warming/articles/449/19 000 Scientists Say Inconvenient Truth Lie

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

soon as I get that pyrolysis system up and running I'll be experimenting with various biomass as a feedstock, but as it is I think I burned maybe 100 gallons total of fossil fuels last year in the truck. Everything else was veggie fuel.

what does your 4 cy run on ? and what are you planing to do with that Kodiak ?

9. Yobarnacle

The last 500 million years of the strontium-isotope record are shown to correlate significantly with the concurrent record of isotopic fractionation between inorganic and organic carbon after the effects of recycled sediment are removed from the strontium signal. The correlation is shown to result from the common dependence of both signals on weathering and magmatic processes. Because the long-term evolution of carbon dioxide levels depends similarly on weathering and magmatism, the relative fluctuations of CO2 levels are inferred from the shared fluctuations of the isotopic records.
    *The resulting CO2 signal exhibits NO systematic correspondence with the geologic record of climatic variations at tectonic time scales.

http://www.pnas.org/content/99/7/4167.full

Real scientists say climate isn't driven by co2. You think it is. Who's more likely wrong? Prove your theory.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yikes

I guess that was classic eh folks

Yobar, why do you attempt to misinform the readers with this kinda stuff. Go look up the position papers of any or all the major universities and figure it out for yourself if you have to. There is most certainly a consensus and its most certainly in favor of the science. Global climate shift is occurring and it is being caused by man. Period.

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Wait a second. Last I checked, black absorbs the most heat (and light) out of any color?

Don't believe me? Paint the deck of your boat black. :D:p

Whoops. I didn't realize this was an intense thread and replied to a post way back. I'm just playing around here. I'm not very passionate about this particular issue, being a skeptic. Should stay out of the tantalizing and tasty off topic threads... must look away... :)

1 person likes this.
  12. Yobarnacle

“CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another….Every scientist
    knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so…Global warming, as a political vehicle, keeps
    Europeans in the driver’s seat and developing nations walking barefoot.” - Dr. Takeda
    Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu
    University in Japan.

Sorry Boston
    Dr Kunihiko has more credibility than you

13. Yobarnacle

Paint yours dark green! :D

14. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ha ha ha. Ok, so answer me this:

Why is it always 5-10 degrees warmer in a city than in the surrounding suburbs?
    What do you attribute that to, if it's not all the baking hot asphalt and tar roofs?
    At the same time, I ask: Why is it cooler in a field than in a WalMart parking lot?

Lastly, on another micro/local warming thought... how many fires are burning and producing heat, in general on this planet?

There is a fire going somewhere (coal, nuclear, etc...) to power the computers we are typing on.
    There are heaters burning day and night up north.
    Every car you see driving down the road is producing enormous amounts of waste heat.
    Nearly every industrial process produces heat.
    When you run your air conditioner you produce a lot of heat and there is a fire burning somewhere to power it.
    Every bit of electricity you use produces large amounts of heat where it is generated.

Basically, all of our energy production methods produce huge heat as a byproduct - and how much energy does this planet use on a daily basis? The scale of the numbers is mind boggling.

The list goes on and on. Combine locally generated heat we all generate every day with the incredible heat developed in cities and well, maybe you have the source of the little extra blip in temperature we saw that is hotly debated.

Then again the sun could be causing it. Who knows?

I'd say my little theory of locally generated heat works too, since it's on such a massive scale.

PS: I'm a skeptic of global warming anyway, but we sure produce a lot of heat directly.

15. Yobarnacle

Boston
    You ignore any data that disagrees with you and quote UN reports that have lost all respect.
    And you resort to personal attacks. Your argument indeed is weak.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.