Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

did you leave?

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

catch you later

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Phone call and then Dinner, sorry. Back in a bit.

cheers
    B

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

so lets figure out how many lbs are in a barrel of oil. Each barrel weighs in at about 300lbs, OK maybe a bit more but close enough.

90 million a day times 300lbs = 27 billion lbs of oil per day. for 365 days is 9.855 trillion lbs of oil burned every year

OK so how much coal

[​IMG]

about 8 billion short tons seems to be an average claim on world coal production. or 16 trillion pounds

so whats the carbon content of these fuels

If you go back to the US energy information link I provided your going to find that the average carbon content for coal lies somewhere between 60 and 80% so lets call it 70% just for fun.

the average carbon content of crude is about 85%
    see
    http://coe.uno.edu/meric/docs/OIL/Crude Oil Composition_Madhuri Mudragaddam_May 27th 2010.pdf

the difference means we're going to calculate the two separately and then add em up. For the sake of our example I'd like to assume that all the oil and coal gets burned, granted we know it doesn't, various inefficiencies in the system forbid a 100% conversion as well as not all the oil is being processed into fuel. Some goes into other products but, and here's something that tends to be forgotten. Most trash in the world is either burned or dumped in the ocean. Not much ends up in a land fill. There's no real numbers on how much ends up where but the vast majority of our fossil fuels end up floating up a smoke stack. Very little even if it is made into plastics or textiles, tires or computer parts end up escaping the fire.

so we've got 16 trillion lbs of coal with 70% of that being carbon or 11.2 trillion lbs of carbon being converted by the combustion process each year.

add to that another 8.38 trillion lbs of carbon being converted by the combustion process of crude oil, again each year.

you end up with 19.58 trillion pounds of carbon available in the combustion process to combine with oxygen and produce our beloved CO2

so going back to our reference again each pound of carbon combines with 2.66 pounds of oxygen and we get 3.66 pounds of CO2

or

71.66 trillion pounds of CO2 just from these two sources alone, we could and probably should add in whats produced from natural gas.

but maybe your beginning to get the picture, we burn a lot of fossil fuels.

[​IMG]

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Well, I do eat a lot of oats. :D

6. hoytedow

That annual mean sure looks like its dropping.

7. hoytedow

OK, I'll stipulate I spilled a little. My hand was shaking from laughter. It's your fault really. :p

8. hoytedow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoichiometry

Fuel By mass [3] By volume [4] Percent fuel by mass
    Gasoline 14.6 : 1 — 6.8%
    Natural gas 14.5 : 1 9.7 : 1 5.8%
    Propane (LP) 15.67 : 1 23.9 : 1 6.45%
    Ethanol 9 : 1 — 11.1%
    Methanol 6.47 : 1 — 15.6%
    Hydrogen 34.3 : 1 2.39 : 1 2.9%
    Diesel 14.5 : 1 0.094 : 1 6.8%

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya and thats going to be part of your problem Hoyt, your depending on Wikipedia for your information.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

woops I did get that number wrong didn't I

Ok gotta fix that

one moment please

Ok edited

E gads Hoyt you were actually paying attention, must be all those oats :D

11. hoytedow

Have you told China? They burn a lot more than we do. Never mind. They won't listen any more than I will.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think for the sake of accuracy you might want to quote the edited version of that post Hoyt.

After all it was you who pointed out the error wasn't it. And its your chance for that AHA moment you've been waiting for. Of course its also a great representation of how when some of us are shown to have made an error we readily admit it and are happy to correct it asap.

or is that a concept unfamiliar to your way of thinking :D

so lets add in natural gas ( thanks Hoyt for reminding me, almost forgot the noxious gasses :p:p:p:p:p:p)

13. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Yes, who else? It is a normal evolution, and it doesn't mean its bad. So it will be not "Blame" but because off.
    7 billions people will change the nature of the climate.
    When I was born, the population was not 2 billions. So something has to give.
    Lister

1 person likes this.
  14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I already fixed em you just need to go back and cut and paste a little.

15. hoytedow

Aha moment: Aha!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.