favourite sea novels

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lazeyjack, May 10, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Can you all post you favourites
    Mine are
    1 HMS Ulyssis by McClean, a novel abt the Murmansk convoys WW2
    2 The Cruel Sea === Monserrat
    3The Ship, by Forrester

as yet I have not seen any by Bergalia

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Unfortunately Lazey sea novels are for a 'limited' audience:( So I tend to write 'bodice rippers' for a well known 'Romance' publishing house (it pays well) - but I also dash off the odd 'Ripping yarn' - which seldom pay at all.
    Nuff sed: My bookshelves hold Mobey Dick (naturally); Sailing Alone Around the World )by the master) Much of E.M.Forster; Conrad; Tristran Jones, and Wouk - plus a fair collection of 'Pilots'.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

perhaps you can edit my book? Started 4 years ago, ,

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Lazedy - I started my 'Great Australian Novel' 20 years ago...and still plodding on. But send me a couple of chapters via my email and I'll have a look.:)
    Mind you - if it shows promise I'll steal the idea for myself.....:D

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

its a hands on how to build in alloy, how to build the boat the machines, welding etc I had some good feedback, and it kept me amused, sure go ahead finish it:)):p

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Just read Riddle of the Sands which was a good book. By Erskine?

Sailing Alone around the World. Must of read it 4-5 times. Slocum

Arctic Passages (John R. Bockstoce). Actually had the privilage of meeting him two summers on the Labrador Coast.

Endurance, about the Shackelton expedition.

Two Years before the Mast. Dana

Ect.....

Many that are not coming to mind.

TGoz

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sounds like a follow-up to Wizard of Oz...The Tin Man Soldiers On....:)

8. bowfin

bowfin New Member

My favorite sailing books are also my overall favorites-
    Patrick O'Brian's 20-book "Master and Commander" series are absolute "Literature". The Russell Crowe movie is an amalgum of a couple of the short novels, but it just brushes the surface. O'Brian was an expert on Napoleanic Era Naval History, world cultures, the language of seamen, the culinary delights aboardship, the natural world and the naturalists that were busy documenting all of it, and the everyday details of life on a ship and in places all over the world. Read all 20, and you'll not only think the main characters, Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin are your lifelong seamates, but most of the crew of the HMS Surprise as well. I slowed my pace of reading #20 as I neared the end, trying to never finish it.
    The novels take a while to adjust to, since O'Brian so convincingly uses the language of the era, but an experienced sailor might have an easier time of it than I did at the time. Once you get it, the subtle humor laced into the action-packed storyline, will constantly be a pleasant surprise.

9. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hey Bowfin.

Nice to have you here.

Love NC from the Smokies to the Sea.

Where are you at down there?

TGoz

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Patrick O'Brian's 20-book "Master and Commander" series are absolute "Literature".
    somewhere in my ordered library there is something from him,

Attached Files:

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Nice library LazyJack.

My library is simular to my seashell collection, except that instead of being scattered across the world's beaches, I keep it scattered about my house.

The good thing is I find books I have not read for years & have the pleasure of rereading them :)

I enjoyed "Ice" by Tristan Jones, but then read (I think on this forum) that alot of his work was pure fiction. What are your thoughts, if any, on that?

Take care.

TGoz

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

perhaps one man whom I admire s much is Neville Shute, not one mistake ddi I ever find in his books
    TRY Trustee From the Toolroom
    I don not know Jones, but talking about Bulldust, try W

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

DARN HOW did that get posted, I was saying try Wilbur Smith, for pure cobblers, so full of errors esp. upon matters pertaining to things that recipricate, like engines!!
    Do you know Shute?
    um maybe Bergalia is his Ghost writer:))

14. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Never heard of Shute. I'll look him up.

A very accurate author, and very good, is Nathanial Philbrick.

He wrote "Sea of Glory" about the US Exploring Expedition of the late 1830's & "Evolutions Captain" about the Beagles captain, among other books I have not yet read.

Getting late here & time for bed.

TGoz

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Funny that - I found the same with Conrad, Forster, Shute, Shakespeare, Twain.....(goes on for several pages)....
    Have you tried 'Applied Accountancy for Beginners' Tim, or 'Acturial Practice' ? Not much a of a plot...but pure fact through and through....:rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.