favourite sea novels

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lazeyjack, May 10, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey Berg,

When I was a little younger I rode my Sportster all over the east side of my country, and she never let me down. Had a 650 Triumph Tiger also, it never let me stranded either :) The Triumph shined on the twisty mountain roads.

Back on the subject. I think this book is a semi-novel (my word). It's called "Desperate Voyage". About a soldier after WWII who is trying to get back from the States to his new Australian wife.

Yeah I know Downunders, she must of been of her rocker to marry a Yank,:)

Tim

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hey Tim - I was talking 'tongue in cheek'. In my youth I owned, and idolised, a BSA B31; B32; a genuine 1946 BSA 500 Gold Star; 650cc Panther single; Triumph Bonneville; Sunbeam; Four Square Ariel; 500 Matchless, and an AJS. Tim - I love the old Brit machines and have scarred knuckles to prove it.... :)

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Buddy of mine used to have an 850 Norton Commando. Suped up somehow. Wicked bike.

Never rode a Harley? Your loss friend :) Love those British Bikes though. Like to get a Black Shadow when I hit the lottery.

TGoz

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Quick one Tim before some 'sneak' shops us to Jeff for going off subject.
    My wife is a community nurse for the Veteran Affairs Department (sticks needles in old men's bums). One old chap (95 years old) invited me to have a 'peak' in his garage. Jeez. Hand on heart Tim, inside were four (rpt 4) Vincents, two Black Princes, two Black Shadows...immaculate as the day they left the factory...Plus a very dusty Norton and an Ariel Red Hunter.:(

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Think I read a good "Novel" about an incident like that, where a sailor came home and found some nice bikes in a widow's garage.

There we go, back on topic.

Tim

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your missus sticks needles in old mens bums?

Is that were you met her?

Off again

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Nice one Tim :D

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Nasty one Jack...:mad:

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Just took a quick look before hitting the road ...

Amazing what some folks have stashed away. I was in the UK on business during the Falklands conflict (Aside: BBC had continuous coverage of the fighting and of QE II getting her helipad mounted. Continuous, that is, except for the evening interruptions for live coverage of the darts championships! Beautiful country. Motored from Manchester to Cleveland/Teeside region, crossing the highlands in the interior was an experience. Fog rolled in ... I half expected Heathcliff or a maiden with a ripped bodice to run across the road ...) I was at the home of a potential contractor one evening. We were talking about racing of all types (including boats, Jeff), and got on the subject of pylon airplane racing. I mentioned that many teams liked the Rolls Royce Merlin as the basis for their engine builds. He asked if I'd ever seen one up close. When I said no, he asked, "Would you like to?", and led me to his barn. In the loft he had 2 unused Merlins. In a stall on the main floor he had a pre- WW I Silver Ghost.

Last comment: Tim, you may know this already, but a popular piece of contemporary folk music in the US is a song about a young man whose only possession is a 1952 Black Lightning. I guess if you're going to own only one thing, that's about as good as it gets.

See y'all next week.

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Please don't get all mellow and nice while I'm gone, jack. Wouldn't recognize you! :D :D

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My run around, ok shes not a Norton just a CSR 250 --1962

Attached Files:

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sounds like my old mate John Leighton - he had all kinds of 'things' stashed in his sheds and attics. He was/hopefully still is, a genius with engines and used to tune high powered racing boats for the racing gentry.

Good trip Charley :)

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Well shiver me whatnots Jack - you're almost human after all. Nice machine - and I see it's got the traditional built-in oil leaks. And BSA front brake hub....:)

14. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Bergs, I had the last of the SS650, 1967, I had never ever ridden a bike, I picked it up brand new, took me 4000 miles before my first spill, I lost my ticket for doing the ton, twice in one day without a skid lid
    Later I tried Hondas Bol d.or 900 What a dog after the featherbed frame of the Norton, this is my thread so I can say what i like:))
    I like the sound of
    1 the Black shadow,
    2 thruxton velcette Norton inter 500 and well all of them , I did not like, oil pissing out from every unmated surace and seal!!

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Brit models were notorious for oil leaks...way, way back as a young Naval rating (just to keep Jeff happy and to supply a 'boating tag') I visited the motorcyle exhibition at Olympia (in London, an old sea port - again to keep Jeff happy). They had a genuine stuffed panther on the 'Panther' MC stand - and when they went to remove it, after the exhibition, discovered some joker had left small pools of oil where the animal had stood..... :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.