Fastest Atlantic Crossing....

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, May 16, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Have you ever been skiinig in Avimore,--skiing on the Cairngorms ( spelling there).

Horizontal icicles, freezing fog, sheet ice, the most horrendous weather I have ever seen .

It was like bieng on the wrong side of Mars.

I had thermal underwear with skiing gear on and I was frozen to the bone,

I do not ,or will not believe any one could survive this weather with thier tackle exposed.

I am not talking about some bird In a mini skirt standing outside a disco for 5 minutes.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Fastest Atlantic Crossing

Nice Freudian slip there Jack. Skinning is the right term for Aviemore. But no, never went skiing there - tried to avoid it (as did most 'locals' during 'the season') Too many English. But used to go rockclimbing on the crags behind the centre, and with the visiting shinty teams from the west. :)
    Again touching upon Highland ********...(oops another Freudian slip) if you browse Guillermo's 'private collection' of kilt pictures I think your fears will be laid to rest...And remember that Cameron of Lochiel revels in the title - 'Cock of the North'...need I say more.... ;)

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It does all prod one to ask why. I imagine early inhabitants of a cold and clammy environs centuries ago sitting around the fire after the hunt in thick wool pants, teeth achattering, and one of them says, "Hey, I've got an idea. Tomorrow, let's all wear short plaid skirts!"
    "Short skirts??", says another, "Last night you came up with that idea about the musical instrument that only plays one note! Two money saving tips in one week! Mark my words, McKilty, one day you'll lead this clan!"

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Fastest Atlantic crossing

Yes, another page from Scots history. Unfortunately McKilty went on to invent America.....:p

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

...And he leads our clan.

A.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This just hits the nail on the head.

Why would you sit there on a rock out in the freezing Highlands with your tackle dangling in the ice and think that was a good idea.

Having frozen tackle is very serious, its surprising they could pass on thier jeans. It would have been a bit warmer for them if they had a pair of jeans.

Maybe not fashionable but good sensible clothing would have been warmer.

Far warmer than a mini skirt (I would presume)

Look at Mel Gibson when he made that Scotish movie --he was so cold his face was blue. His tackle would have been the same colour,---almost purple.

It took 15 takes for Mel to shout FREEDOM, when he really wanted to shout F-F-F-FREEZING.

Freezing your tackle like this could make you impudent.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Word origins are fascinating. Take impudent for example. Im, from the Germanic in, pud needs no translation, and dent, originating from the Latin for tooth. Thus, impudent more precisely means in-pud-teeth, or, having ones pud out in the teeth of a gale.

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Could have been worse Alan - could have been interpreted as "Having ones pud out in the teeth of a Gael....":(

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

True. After writing it I realized it wasn't bad enough. Too lazy to edit.

We won't get into the origin of the word bagpipe then.

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Perhaps not. Similar to the word for the end of a trawl net - the 'codpiece'...Could never find one big enough to fit....:p

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You can get waist extensions from a company in Idaho, I think. Otherwise, you might try a piece of rope to extend the waistband.

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I suppose that would make me 'well hung...'

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes. That is what they all meant. The derivation of "well hung" comes from the Chinese, in fact. Originated when a particularly gifted suitor named Hung ask the question, "Why not??"

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Never thought to see it...bested by an American:D :D :D

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Alan: Well done!

Oops, sorry. Forgot that was what jack frost said after he got too close to the fire trying to thaw out his tackle after skining in Avimore.:D :D :p :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.