Exhaust System - Waste Heat Oven?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by AndySGray, Aug 3, 2014.

1. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

I was looking at various options for cooking onboard and it seems like either you're running the genny or you take propane cylinders.

It reminded me of my younger days when I drove a farm tractor and someone had fixed a toolbox right under the back of the manifold - it seemed moronic :?:.
    If the engine had been running for 30 minutes the tools had to be handled with a rag as they were too hot to hold - BUT a Steak Pie, Sausage Roll, or Cornish Pasty judiciously wrapped in a couple of sheets of newspaper was hot and toasty by lunchtime (or Elevenses once the smell started to permeate) . MMmmmmm.;)

Even heard the old time boilermen would fry a bacon and eggs in the firebox on a wiped down coal shovel

OK, so not an option for sailboats but a little ingenuity on a dry stack diesel motors could yield something much like the old farm 'range' - part oven part slow cooker - ideal for casseroles, stews, goulash, chilli and even jacket potatoes?

Got me wondering;-

a) if anyone had any examples of a modern version of these.

b) thoughts on a practical design for a modern exhaust oven?

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

My Dad cooked meals on his engine when traveling, he also had a bucket on the bumper that bumped up and down and washed his clothes while driving.

[​IMG]
    The Exhaustburger machine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two related cookbooks...

[​IMG]

and the ever popular...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.