The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteamFreak

SteamFreak USMM

In efficient? Certainly... especially since I'm running single acting uniflow engines... But efficiency is the wrong way to approach surviving... Reliability, serviceability, and multi-function capability is what would allow survival...

Sail long enough and SOMETHING will break. Be involved a situation where crap is hitting the fan and stuff breaks ALOT. And that's what people who are critical and think some ultra-efficient boat is the answer are failing to account for. For a sailing vessel to have any kind of decent speed, it must be long and thin compared to its motoryacht counterparts. Long and thin, whether you have one hull or three, doesn't allow NEARLY the volume for the same displacement, which means less storage for what you need, STUFF... Or we'd have built cats for cargo ships. Even the islanders who had multi hulls really had only a outrunner and a canoe...

Synthentic lines will wear, especially under long, hard, and constant use... so will natural fiber... But if you build this ultra-efficient hull with the latest and greatest technological advancements, you rely on the fact that in ten years or twenty years, the high-tech polymer lines and carbon-fiber line winches will have been back in production at the same standard of quality you boat was designed to have. And truth is it won't. Unless the world made a snap-back recovery (unlikely), the technology might even be back in production, but the quality or the cost will get you. Its that simple. So you can go with a robust sailing hull with the displacement to storage supplies for the longer runs you will be making because the speed isn't there and hope you don't run into anybody better armed than you, or your forced to go with motoryacht... and of the motoryacht options, none offer the reliability, simplicity and wide range of fuel options to make the decision worth it, ilregardless of finding replacement parts or making them to replace the ones that break. That's where a boiler boat, though inefficient compared to its ICE cousins, fills in. Remember, the "African Queen" was not a diesel or gas engine boat...

In the end, I would have to settle for a boiler boat over a robust sailing hull simply because I know them better and their deficiencies are better understood than the sailboat's positives. I'm not saying that the robust sailboat is worse, only that with my knowledge, the boiler boat is the better choice for me. From an objective stand-point, either one is the best choice over the other options because of their ultimate survivability. That ultra-efficient boat might last the 10 or 15 years it takes before life on the land is acceptable and parts/pieces/yards are up to par enough to rely on and you may not have needed that ultra-lowtech, hard-to-kill boat.

But as Burt Gummer said in Tremors 2 "When you need it, and don't have it... you sing a different tune."

(Aside to hansp77: I would love to debate this further, but this is neither the thread nor the forum for it... If there is somewhere or means you would like to continue this discussion, PM me and I would love to chat. Unfortunately, any serious talk must wait until I get back from sea which I leave for next Monday and return mid august.)

1 person likes this.
  2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Damn....... nice insight into steamship..... I was thinking same thing awhlie ago...... Now I am more convince, but need a boiler expert advice first before threading into unknown area of boatmaking.

Thanks

WDH

3. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Give me a good robust sail boat any day if im not mistaken the titanic was a steam powered boat, and look what happened when that boat met up with an iceberg. I guess we all have our opinions and mine is stuck firmly on sailing cause it is what i know and i can handle an emergency better with what i know and not the unknown.

if im lucky i can have a small mountain cabin as well( if the land smokers havent broken in to it and used it for there base) and i can have the best of both worlds, if i get enough land i can build a few marina berths as well.
    I may get a few strange looks from the farmers when the see me building a marina berth 50+km inland when they are putting up new dairy sheds and cattle tracks etc.
    but when the day comes and i wake up and see water flowing up to the edge of the berth I will get the last laugh. it will be those farmers who will be coming to me to help them cause there property is under water.

I didnt know that the pole would shift but as you know from my earlier post i would be heading to the ice in my bullit proof steel yacht anyway so any one want a lift???

4. hansp77

hansp77

wmonastra,
    The whole pole shift thing is pretty theoretical...:confused:
    There does appear some to be some geological evidence that it happens something like every 12-20,000 years.
    I am not too sure of the specifics... something to do with the wobble on the earths access and reaching a point where a magnetic realinement occurs to set a new axis of spin??? or something...
    Most people you hear talking about it are likely to be wearing purple robes and chanting about the new awakening (or something :rolleyes: ):D :D :D

Just thought that seeing as though we are going to melt all the ice from Antarctica all at once and within our lifetimes, then we might as well move it a little closer to the equator.
    (in this little make believe of ours...)

5. SteamFreak

SteamFreak USMM

Probably do best to lash lumber to the deck and wait for the water to stop rising before you build your docks... or have them built with floats and anchor/chains to hold them in place..

6. Wellydeckhand

This thread will make big builder rich as paranoid filty rich boater suddenly see a need for bigger and more complete facilities yachts.......... and submarine:D

The property market can see land from 50m above sea-level being more expensive than ever.......

Me?...... well I have these low land but well inland......... around 300km...... that is almost better than 50m landmark......:)

When the land is partly reclaimed by the sea.....if......if...... The place with palm oil production would turn into your friendly CPO palm oil refill station......

Hey human have reclaimed too much land from the sea so why not the balance occur?

See island at Pacific Ocean? Some are barely on the surface as people are thinking of moving to Australia......... bad mojo man....... big time......:(

PEACE

WDH

7. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

No, He's pushing hundreds of animals into my backyard....:D :D

I've been having a closer look to the 100 m sea level rising map, and I realize Galicians will have to get Galicia tidy and ready to invite all of our Dutch friends to move here! ;)

http://resumbrae.com/archive/warming/100meter.html

1 person likes this.
  8. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

A question?? will the deserts in aussie be dry or will the high tides and rising water make the land more fertile??

if so i wonder how long it would be before the outback is like las vegas and people are living there. and working the land.

9. hansp77

hansp77

Wmonastra,
    depending of course on how high the sea level rose,
    - but if it was anything like we are talking about here- then there would probably be a rather large sea in the middle of australia (especially if a chanel was naturally or artificially made to the ocean)
    After all there are already some dry land areas that are below sea level.

I do not know how fertile this inland sea might be- but the land in general would remain as infertile and poor as it has previously been.
    Australia's soils, in general, and apart from a few productive rich zones, are very very poor. We have had no significant glaciation or volcanic activity to renew and rebuild soils, and the continents long standing relationship with fires have only helped to make a poor situation worse.

As far as wet and dry goes, then it must surely be only a guess.
    Some have theorised that a permanent El Nino like situation might occur. With hotter and drier conditions. But then maybe the opposite might happen.

The thing is that once some of the climate patterns and systems that we have become used to- such as the gulf stream- change, then it can be little better than guesswork as to what might replace them.

The key problem with this sort of rapid human induced climate change- if it does happen anywhere near predicted- is that a lot of plants and animals and ecosystems will not be able to migrate geographically, or evolve, quick enough to suit new the new climate they are faced with (and of course the humans who rely on these might have a tough time too- farmers, fishers, pastoralist, cities etc..). This is made especially dificult because what natural habitat is left is often seperated by hundreds of kilometers of farmland or suburbia.

So will the deserts be dry and infertile?
    Well they already are, so if they get worse, then you still wouldn't want to live there, but,
    there is of course the possiblity that they might become wet and infertile, possibly surrounding a new internal coastline, in which case they would be lush and livable. Ever seen the photos of the deserts after rain? Well if might look like that all the time.

Instead of driving toyota landcruisers across the red center, it might be a situation where one sails across the blue centre, and moors instead of parks their vehicle in order to view Uluru (don't climb it guys it is rude:( ):(

anyway,
    time to shut up.

10. Wellydeckhand

Errr...... Good kick back Gillermore.....:)

wmonastra, you can see mineral salt in certain part of the world destroying crop and turning land into muck from underground water source........ now imagine and understand the sea bring all that salt and later when subside deposite all that free salt mineral? no animals live there then bateria and goo stuff .... green and brown will turn into infestation of bacterium produce hazzard.... organic poison and more creepy stuff for human evacuation..........:confused:

Worse senario would be getting the right potable water as we may be aware that the flooding might alter the balance of our underground water resources.......... then it will be RO water for a while.

Hans77, Australia is like a old dry up paper,......... water might cover it for a while and subside but you'll find proberly .25 cover in water and .25 effected by bad water .25 with non living land anyway and .25 will be crampped with nerd and junkies in the barren highland............ MAD MAX senario? with waterworld option?

How many percent of Australia is agricultural land? and livestock need good water........... many reserve will be washout....... then what? I am not picking a fight but do care for that flat land that took care of my 2 years of education.......:)

Every countries should have a safe zone where flood and other stuff can be minimized................

WDH

P.S. I am now 145 km away ferom home and found this internet cafe..... the monintor is killing me.......:D:D:D

11. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

well, these chats are opening up my eyes for sure, and unless I can find a small island community, and live then i will still be happy to make my yacht my floating home and willing to meet up with fellow chatters and decided on the future of mankind, I will give aussie a miss, and just keep sailing toward the tropics, whereever that may be??

Just another thought just cause the world is covered in water, that doesnt mean that the satalites stop working, how would/could you have acess to the world wide web from your boat if the worlds governments are in termoil.
    and every body is an anarchy.

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wmonastra,

You'd still need routers, switches, not to mention servers to have the www working, though. Safe bet would be it wouldn't.

1 person likes this.
  13. hansp77

hansp77

Yeah,
    the net would be down.

But wouldn't GPS still work?
    for at least untill something went wrong with the Satelites?
    Or are they dependent upon some system that is land based too?

Wmonastra, Australia wouldn't be that bad..
    But hey, neither would New Zealand.
    The Tropics itself might be the last place you would want to be,
    in a warmed world- it would be just too damn hot.
    Sub-tropics will become the new warm temperate paradises.
    Australia has lots of this.

Welly, Australia already has some of the worst dry-land salinity in the world, and you are right, this problem is a real land killer. Here we do it because people chop down all the trees, which used to keep the water table down, which now rises, and brings with it millions of years of salt that is deposited in the layer of earth between. It is hard (or at the moment impossible) to reverse, because you can't just plant new trees there- they won't grow... Lots and lots of people working on this problem at the moment, and no answers yet..
    And we are still clearing land like this here at an amazing rate.:( :mad: :confused:
    Just for a couple of decades of good farming or pastoralism.

But maybe the one good thing is that with something like a 50 meter rise in sea level, this sort of salt land would be underwater (and less salty!). If the water did rise like this, when we were still alive, then just about the last thing we would need to worry about was what to do when it retreated. We certainly won't be alive to see that. Besides most of our landmasses at some point in time have been underwater, so nature must have some way of solving that problem right?

It always makes me think big dizzy thoughts when I pull a perfect little seahell out of the top of a mountain.:cool:
    Maybe the earth knows what she is doing, even if we don't...

14. Wellydeckhand

Hans

Yup........ It is the process of mother nature thousand of years pounding rains to make it a beautiful land...... vegetation have a funny way of reclaiming any barren waste land but the process is to slow for us to see.....:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wmonastra, I wouldnt bet my life in trusting a piece of electronic for the worst case senario...... unless it is still workin?

When so much ice turn water, the Earth turn very humid and cloud can be seen everyway......... and pissing contest of big fluffy cloud at that intense rate will have you swore for rest of the wet journey................. kamish?

If you get luck, you see many beautiful electro magnetic storm ......... giving your GPS new direction and radio a rewiring.......:D:D:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would investigate the Russian Sardine Ocean can factory............ I cant find the name or website..... but that is one of the wonder of the world of cannery and when hunger strike....... that will be a safe and reliable big storage facility........... only if you can stand the fishy smell.

WDH

15. Wellydeckhand

I dont think NZ will sink totally...... Also NZ is more fertile compare to Aussie. But the wind in that part of the world will accelerate even during the theoritical evenful water level rise.

The Islands of Polynesia... of Pacific will be my main worries...... I do care for the people over there and their survival ensure that we have a more diversification of races and culture.......... Even now some island are having erosion and sea-level rising in a few particular places.....:(

Pacific Islands are always a good sighting for beautiful Island ,kind native and generous feeding.... of local food.

WDH