Beginners Guide To Boating Stuff!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

2. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

Thanks for the link. The part that caught my attention was his recommending the pump be wired directly to the batt. with no fuse protection. Is this sound advice?

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

From yacht survey

"I do not agree with the ABYC standard that bilge pumps must have circuit protection. Far too often, the circuit breaker or fuse is the cause of a boat sinking. If you want to eliminate circuit protection, try to keep the wire run as short as possible. While its not good practice to wire anything direct to the battery, I'd say the lone exception would be bilge pumps. If there's no other practical way, go ahead and do it. This applies to submersible pumps only. These pumps have no history of burning up and starting fires."

I am not expert in electrics (hopefully one of our forum experts will help in that)

I think what he means is in an emergency if the fuse blow or needs replacement you will simply not have enough time to do that. He also specified submersible pumps only and keeping the wire short, all these mean he is aware of the risk of not having a fuse and is giving advice to minimize the risk yet he still thinks its better to connect directly.

4. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

I understood what he meant. I was curious as to how many here wire theirs this way.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

You are better off starting a thread in electronics to ask about this question, regular guru's dont hang around here much.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I think you have shared some valuable information here. :)

7. Aharon

Aharon Junior Member

This is adventure, poetry, pure human art!

I am a newbie who has just been pointed to this thread (thanks, Vulkyn!). The word "exotic" made me click, and it took quite some time to understand what this was about. My jaw dropped when I figured out what the project is.
    Amazing! I am speechless, and warmly happy for slowly becoming part of the seafarer humans!
    Kol Akavod!

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Pleasure Aharon welcome to BD.net :)

Should you run into links that are suitable for newbie's like us please post it here ...

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, Aharon. Enjoy the forum.

10. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Skipping the fuse is probably not good. If I wanted the maximum reliability solution, I would:

1. Solder a bus fuse (at 80% to 85% of the wire current carrying capacity) in the main line to the bilge pump.

2. I would also run a second wire from the pump through a switch and normal fuse to the battery. The switch is is kept off, unless needed.

3. If the pump has pig tails (short leads provided by the maker) these connections would also be soldered.

4. Each soldered connection would be painted with a "liquid tape" product. After it is dry, wrap it with quality electrical tape.

Corrosion at a clip in fuse can be a real concern. Some "marine grade" in-line fuse holders may work OK a keeping everything 100% dry, but only if installed properly and kept sealed up any time things could get moist. A wire to wire joint with a crimped connector & painted with a "liquid tape" product is not bad. However, if the joint is really important, the average guy is probably better off with a soldered joint.

If you skip the fuse, a short can allow the entire wire run to become red hot and either start a fire or damage everything it touches. Although a submerged pump is low risk of being an actual ignition source, it can still have a wire to wire short and then causes the power leads to go up in smoke. I have generated enough of this kind of smoke to have learned how much energy is available in a battery.

11. magwas

magwas Senior Member

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Thx magwas, i was solely concerned with the building aspect as such i did not add anything regarding design, so please feel free to add anything you find interesting in that area.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I have not seen a posting from Vulkyn in quite awhile and do not know how he and his family came through the termoil in Egypt. Anybody have any news? Thanks.

15. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I was worried too so I sent a PM to Vulkyn last week; haven't heard back from him yet but it's only been 5 days.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.