Doomsday boat.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by river runner, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. river runner

river runner baker

There is a show on the discovery channel called (I believe) Doomsday Bunkers. It is about preppers preparing for a breakdown in society when it's every man (family) for himself. Maybe a better, or at leas alternative, solution to an underground bunker would be a boat. Something that would get you away from land where most of the chaos is taking place.
    What form would this boat take? What would the parameters be?
    It would probably need to fairly large because you might need to stay away from land for quite a while. Would it need to be fast, to escape pirates, or just heavily armed and armored? Sail or power? Etc.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

submarine, otherwise pirates would eventually just take it from you. Even at that you'd need an early warning system, proximity alarm, so you could dive away from trouble if you needed to. My thinking is that no amount of arms will help if your just a family on a boat. You gotta be able to get away somehow, like submerge. Preferably with some way to torpedo the bastads and then come back up at your leisure

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yeah a submarine would be good. you would be able to sail around new York Harbour without no one noticing you and the navy would not care about it,----much.

Mind you this would be only for a few minutes till they homed in on you then you would be blown up.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's really no such thing as a bunker or boat that could solve all the potential situations you'd find yourself in, given an end of society as we know it type of thing. Eventually, you'd run out of ammo, food, fuel, water, etc. and would have to expose yourself to the will of the fruit-loops that dream this sort of stuff up.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Here is a thread on similar subject that addresses dealing with pirates

using home made devices.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...e-bug-out-option-zombie-apocalypse-42018.html

I've thought of submersible (tethered to surface float?) lifeboats for riding out sever storms.

As mentioned, the trick to "doomsday boat"(surface sailboat) would be sailing past the horizon/coastal region and into 'empty' water before Zombies swarm the harbor.

Lots of "empty water" off N CA coast where few dare to venture besides commercial fishermen.

Might be a lot harder to 'be lonely' off FL coast where there are lots of close by destinations and lots of low-lifes with speed boats.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

wave heights are increasing dramatically from N CA all the way up through the PNW, so probably not a great place to hang out for extended periods of time.

I'm thinking there's really no where to hide on the ocean and eventually once spotted, your done for. The way to survive is think community on solid ground, I'll watch your back if you watch mine, having found a defensible structure or area. Although the point is moot given the rapid advance of Climate Shift far beyond any of the IPCC predictions. these last few years.

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Please shift this c*** to the Bilge, you fooled me again.

8. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Bos:

Taken that the whole premise survival with anarchy is silly, this community approach is certainly the best approach! The ancient, nuclear bomb shelter approach by a small extended family unit stocked to the hilt with survival stuff/guns won't cut it. Disgusting to think, but organized crime units would be the most likely to survive in such a scenario!

Just getting to a prepared location/boat would be impossible from a big city- look what happened when they tried to evacuate Houston ahead of a recent hurricane- parking lot! Hiding on the ocean depends on stealth, so the only practical choices are semi- submersibles and hidden coves on the shoreline, if you can even get there... Should you happen to get there, then you have storms, winds, supplies, renewable power need, etc. to contend with, not even counting hostilities.

Porta

9. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

As they say in real estate-location location location.

10. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

+1

And... due to the lack of food at sea, land is the only place for survival.

When on a boat, few people realize it takes an enormous amount of resources and money to get everything you need:

1) Anchors and chain
    2) Food
    3) Water
    4) Parts for the propulsion system, be it sail, diesel, outboard or steam
    5) Navigation - no GPS in the zombie apocalypse

All cost money or require you to trade with people on land to get what you need to live.

Much better to hide away on land. At least a human can be self sufficient there.

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

You are 99.99 % correct,but there are places where unlimited food and water are free,and you benefit from both land and sea. :)

12. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Yes, I have a few of those in mind as well, since you know I live full time on boats. :)

Still, you are less visible way out in the middle of nowhere on land (I don't subscribe to a "community" ethic for survival). Also, if you have a boat, you will need those anchor chains, etc.... You aren't forging anchor chains and welding in the woods. You have to trade with possible threats for all of that unnecessary stuff in a survival situation.

A boat is a liability in a survival situation.

A true survival situation is just you - naked - and without food or shelter.

IMO, that's what you need to be ready for in these end of the world scenarios. Boats will just trip you up as you need to spend all your valuable calories acquiring food, drinking water and shelter, not maintaining a boat. Plus, in these zombie apocalypse scenarios, you are probably going to have to play some defense. You're a sitting duck on a boat anywhere near land. Everyone can see you for miles and miles and (kilometers) around.

Of course, that situation changes with a well found sailing boat (or extreme range power boat). If you are always, 100% of the time, well stocked and ready to cross an ocean, a boat becomes a good too to escape a local problem. :)

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Kevin Costner already did a movie about this scenario. Bad guys were everywhere and always trying to get best of him. He had a tri that went fast enough to elude the pirates most of the time. In the case of the movie, the earth was covered with water so that not much land was above water....Mountains like K12, and Everest were OK. The movie did not detail the source of potable water. If you have not seen the movie, don't bother, it was a turkey.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Condensed pee . . .

and I liked the movie, except for the ridiculous rig on the tri.

15. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Yes, very short term, IF one can time it perfectly to be there already, before things were to fall apart.

Funny to see the bunker mentality on that TV show by people who appear on the verge of needing medical help, means kidnapping a physician should be first on their list :)

Only hope would be quick stabilization, which would be most likely, IMHO.

Back to the 1600's we have:

"No man is an island"

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
    is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
    is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
    well as a manor of thy friends or of thine
    own were; any man's death diminishes me,
    because I am involved in mankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom
    the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne