Doomsday boat.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by river runner, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It was also a huge flop and very nearly bankrupted Costner, which was the best bit.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yup, if I remember it went way over budget and then didn't do that well at the box office. So he rented himself out on the next few movies if I remember and ended up making a fortune with Dances With Wolves. I think, might have been some other movie like The Post Man or something. Don't really follow the Hollywood scene very closely

In any case the best Dooms Day boat so far I think is the well armed submarine protecting an inaccessible coast line with a small community stashed in the foothills.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Nope.

Nope and nope.

And Nope!

There's a link in this thread to another thread,read my post-#9- in there.

4. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Charter sailboat in a remote port where there is also a need to get from Point A to Point B and back.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

A small dory, some fishing line, a wilderness cove located where some hunting and a little gardening can be done. Already have the tools-guns--ammo--rabbit snares sealed and hidden---and no don't want any male company, want to procreate to keep the species going---:D

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dont bother chartering , just steal it. Oh and pick the best of the fleet seeing as if your not going to pay for it.

Infact this stealing thing will probably become quite popular, might as well get used to it. Taking sweets of kids and robbing grannies will be daily routine.

If your going to do a bit of looting ,--could you get me a new colour telly flats screen, 44 would be ok.

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i think the line between reality and fiction is a bit blurry here. i prefer to think about what is important now, not silly scenarios for something which won't happen anyway.

8. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

If you had a big enough boat, you could survive for years without land.
    You would need a lot of stores, desalination (several) units and enough fuel.
    Find a deserted area, you have a limitless supply of water and you could grow vegies on the boat. With bulk stores and fishing, you could live for a long time.
    If there was a major apocolypse, then a boat would be my first choice. I would just wander down tot he superyacht marina with my shotgun and pick the biggest and best superyacht and take it.

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

been done before, according to believers.

10. BPL

BPL Senior Member

I don't believe in stealing.
    Any planning I did would be for hauling or trading transport in exchange for food and supplies I needed.

Agree

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Laughable. So where do you get your new pre filters, membranes and high pressure pump?

Guess you guys are just dreaming. I actually spent 2 years attempting to be self sufficient on a boat. It cannot be done without land support.

Fishing? Also laughable. Mercury pollution has ruined that food source as a sole protein of your diet.

Superyacht? Where are you buying diesel? Do you think superyachts are unarmed? Come steal my boat and you and your friends will all die - and its not even a superyacht.

Guess this is a bunch of office folk dreaming. Try actually doing this stuff and you will see how good these boat based survival theories hold up.

12. Enforcer

Enforcer Junior Member

Mate if you knockoff a big enough boat you could have 100's kg of meat, fruit and veg in cans, salted and frozen (kept cold with solar power). This would keep most people alive for years with supplemental food grown on board and caught....you could also eat birds.
    It is a bit of a open ended question that we can throw ideas around.

13. river runner

river runner baker

I am no prepper, but I can see some possible scenarios where society could break down for a period of time. Just look at New Orleans after Catrina or some of the riots in places like L.A. I'm a little worried about what is going to happen if Obama is re-elected. I'm on the email list of an ex submariner, extreme right winger and some of the stuff he forwards is pretty scary. I think most of you would be surprised at how many people think they would have a right to take over the governement if Obama get's elected. Another senario involves oil. We are going to run out. It's just a matter of when. An awful lot of people are in denial about it, so we aren't preparing for that day the way we should. The day will come when gas supplies are extremely short and the price of a gallon is something like $20. You don't think things will get ugly? Gangs will be roaming the streets. They might burn your house down just for kicks. Or kill you. Just picture the L.A. riots and picture that happening on your street.
    The ocean is a very big place to hide and the population density is vastly less than on land with an endless supply of food in the form of fish and an endless supply of water, if you have a desalinator.

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I agree as a matter of fact I know a big boat is not the answer other than transport to a remote location and that is not anywhere where you presently have a large population within 500 miles. ( Pitcarin Island ring any bells). Another factor that would be in your favour with proper fore planning would be an area of distinct seasons. A bad winter would eliminate alot of competition. Also don't underestimate any quazi remote area that you might have grown up in. I.E. Sea people, mountain people, farming people, tend to band together and help each other which of course is not true of dog eat dog city folk. Gated communities folk are more messed up yet as I think they trust no one not even their own ability to get along with their fellow humans so these are your last choice.

15. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I'd love a submarine for the job, preferably nuclear powered to delay re-supply problems....
    A little closer to reality, a steel or heavy wooden sailing vessel with a crew of ten armed with AK-47s, some .50 cal Brownings in armored deck mounts and lots of RPGs would take care of most of the pirate problems.
    Heck, with that set up you could go into business selling 'protection' against pirates, I mean, who's going to say no?
    It's hard to feed, pay and entertain that crew of cut-throats you hired to protect yourself and others against pirates, so hard you might have to turn pirate yourselves, just as a matter of survival necessity of course, not for fun or profit.
    -
    Like the lone-wolf weapon hoarder who is ready for 'anything', excepting three determined and experienced soldiers trained in infantry tactics from whom he will soon learn how un-ready he is, those who expect to sail/drive/hike/run away from social chaos are fooling themselves, because it's very difficult to survive alone.
    Just ask any infantryman cut off from his squad in combat.
    That is why we invented society, and live in groups, even small ones, but always groups, usually based on family and neighbors.
    As humans have learned over the last several million years, our power lies in our ability to communicate and act as one, not run off and hide alone.
    That brings down mammoths with enough sharp sticks and feeds all, and it keeps a group of people strong, whereas individually we are very weak.
    It's time to work together and avoid the situation that set this discussion off in the first place.
    Against disease, war, global climate change, even asteroids, we have a chance of surviving and thriving if we would just work together instead of being at each others' throats over greed, religion, politics and race.
    -
    Eventually we will all run out of ammo and preserved food and Bic lighters if the supply chain stops so it's back to bark canoes for survival boats.
    Come to think of it, they did pretty good.