Digital Camera

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, Oct 5, 2005.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Was wondering what digital camera's people find usefull for maritime photography.

I have been using a Nikon 5700 for a year with good results for my work but it just stripped the drive gear (2 weeks out of warranty) on the lens extend.

Time to replace it since the repair is $250 and it is aparently a design flaw with these camera's that Nikon will not acknowledge. No current sensing on the motor so if your camera is knocked on while in the bag it blindly drives the lens extend until the motor burns out or the gear strips. Not the sort of engineering design you would encourage.

Was looking at the Canon EOS 350 as a replacement since I think Canon will treat me better. Now the SLR prices are down they seem very attarctive.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If you can afford the EOS-D or Digital Rebel series, they are really nice cameras. Canons do tend to be quite durable. I've been using an Olympus C750 for a while now; really good camera (it's since been replaced by the 770) but I'd like something more capable. The Olympus C and E cameras are good in harsh environments. Since you hate Nikon I won't suggest any of theirs; but also look at the Sony DSC range (the newspaper-grade ones, not the consumer-grade). A lot of good cameras out there but there's also a lot of crap so be sure to look up your choices on consumer-review sites.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but I've never been let down by my Nikon gear. I have 35,000+ exposures on my trusty Nikon D100 and have no complaints - would buy another one without hesitation. Have not been especially gentle on it and still shooting on the original battery even after 3 years. I think Nikon makes great cameras and you just had bad luck.

4. Alixander Beck

Alixander Beck Junior Member

I have had excellent success with all my Minoltas

Be that as it may I would recommend the Canon Dig Rebel - solid camera, great price.

5. chantelormerod@

chantelormerod@ New Member

I have a canon powershot A95 and I have to say it is an excellent digital camera!!! It has survived the rigours of my handbag.... believe me after my handbag it could probably survive an atomic bomb!

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Read the following reply, sorry my pc showed no post so I re-wrote it and found both .

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for the comments

The Nikon 5700 has a reputation as a lemon in the lens drive and flash pop-up release. Nikon has often repaired this for free outside of warrantee. The problem in Australia is that Nikon is not present and has an appointed distributor that also sells other brands so it's not detrimental to them if you get put off Nikon products.

Every manufacturer has it's occassional lemon , the problem in this industry is that by the time the lemons become apparent the product has been superceded.

I found a thorough camera review site at www.dpreview.com if anyone else is considering a new camera.

For me it looks like a Canon EOS 350D; to quote dpreview "silky noise free images "
    Canon have got an excellent low noise sensor and done good work on the signal processing side.

Now with an 8Mpixel camera I can really fill the hard drive with images!

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Interesting - did not know that. In the US I was impressed that when it became evident a metering circuit was failing, Nikon replaced them whether cameras were in or out of warranty, for free. I had worried that when the next model, the d2hs, came out, they would stop fixing the d2h, but they continued.

For the price, I think the Digital Rebels are an amazing value; two friends just got one and are both happy. Don't know that you'll necessarily be shooting at high-ISO on the water, but if so (dawn, dusk, interior) I honestly can say that I'm impressed with canon's high-ISO noise performance. I think Nikon has done a fantastic job on the D2 series bodies - got a d2h sales-demo body for $1699 this past year and absolutely love everything about this camera - but would like to see an update to their d50/d70 line to be more competitive with canon in the mid-range.

The dpreview site is great for camera reviews and also has helpful camera and lens forums - I've found that site invaluable when selecting camera gear, though I try not to visit too much when I've not budgeted for a new camera ;)

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I bought a Canon EOS 350D and would highly recommend it to any other prospective purchaser. The cheap kit lens that comes with the camera is actually quite good, battery life is astounding and the images are crisp clear and well contrasted. Camera is light too when compared with the older film SLR's.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.