D'Artois?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Sander Rave, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

I had some bussines with Brien Gilroy a.k.a. d'Artois; to be exact I drawn some diagrams for Morozov in his name. The Gentleman has been pretty active on Boat Design, representing himself as Naval Architect. He is a Senior Member on this forum and his personal data seemed to be credible at that time.

Well, to cut long story short, I have drawn him diagrams, and he signed an agreement for a website by a collegue of mine. We met a couple of times, during that occations he asked for artist impressions / visualisation services. These could be offered. Since then I just got a lot of excuses and promises. (mistakes from the bank, new account, attending a Fair (METS 2006) etc.). It's been over a year now, and still there is no payment for the work done.

His behavior aroused suspicion. after investigating, I found a lot of different people in different fields with the same experiences with this "gentleman".
    Surprisingly with the same excuses and manners. The site is in Dutch, but there are also foreighn victims:
    http://www.shinken.nl/forum/index.php?topic=253.0
    Has anyone similar experiences wit this man, or can anyone proof me otherwise? Because I'm at the point of starting to get real nasty on him (in a gentleman's sort of way ofcourse).
    Thanks for your attention.
    Kind regards,

Sander Rave

2. yipster

yipster designer

Hi Sander, we, you, Brien and old yipster here met at his skibox at the metz last year remember?
    met him in this forum and there becouse i was visiting the metz also and Brien had an appointment with you i recall
    i allready learned to take him with some salt but did enjoy the free sandwiches
    on woods metals and more he is good, on design and drawings unfortunatly less
    did some drawings for him on promises to many to recall but the last one was partly payed and say'd we are even
    learned a few things from him, sadly enough things you mention also but still think he is of good will
    i wish everyone well but had some strange customers way before, take care

3. Sander Rave

Hi Yipster,

Sure I remember :)
    If I was the only one having this difficulty I'd blame myself... I did hundreds of assignments and sometimes you loose some. Only, in this case I read about lots of people loosing amounts in the same manner and with the same excuses. Now I start thinking this is his way of doing business and I want to warn others not to make the same mistake as I did.
    Regards,

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

perhaps if Brien can chime in to air his views on this:confused:

5. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

I've never carried out work for Brien..only possibilities to do something together...nothing else.

He has sent a gift to me....an old very nice print!

Good practice is to ask 50% at the order...if the customer is decided to do the work, he will pay, if not....goodbay!

6. Sander Rave

I can't reach him anymore in any way regretfully, otherwise I'd ask him to clear this and I thought twice before posting here.

A mans integrity should be kept unless proven otherwise. But because I can't track him and because I found these disturbing postings on different forums I am more than anctious to know if I'm the only fool around here...

Problem is, it's a pretty eager and enthousiastic man in social contacts and seems to know a lot of people in the field. Who would harm his network by being so ignorant in paying his bills?

Thanks for the advice ;-)
    Regards

7. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

After his mishap I didn't hear nothing from his side.
    Anyway thanks a lot for your thread .....now I'm curious about the man.
    Brien are you alive?
    ...waiting for answer......

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Sander

He has been very helpfull to me several times, he definately has many contacts in the marine idustry and has given his help contacts and advice always for free and made calls on my behalf to obtain information.

I have not heard from Brien for a while. I wish him well and am sorry you have had a bad experience. He is hard to contact at times.

cheers

9. martinjancar

martinjancar New Member

Sadly, i can only confirm, that something is wrong with abovementioned mr.Gliroy aka D'Artois. I paid him a sum of 150 EUR for the copy of drawings for my boat Wibo 740, for which he claimed to be in possesion and never recieved them. And trust me I tried a lot! After couple of mails and phonecalls, full of excuses I searched the web and found that I'm not the only one. Allegedly he has taken money or has given false data to a bunch of dealers and private persons.

Therefore i strongly recommend not to make any buissiness with the genleman and if, don't pay in advance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.