A delicate question

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, May 30, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

That would be bothersome, making political points on the sacrifices of brave men.

Why have not the fishermen & kin placed a memorial?

In Newfoundland I've seen simple oblisks with names engraved of all local folks "Lost at Sea". I like the elegant simplicity of such memorials.

Tim

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Native reticence, Tim. Grief is considered a personal private thing. Apart from which it is still a small enough community to know, without being reminded of the losses.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A Navy sailor dies for King and Country. he probably had not much say in the matter.

A fisherman dies because he wanted to be there to make money.
    It was his desicion to be a fisherman and to go out in that boat on that day.

There was no gun at his head.

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Aint that what I was getting at above? :confused:

Off-topic: Watched Braveheart last night. Do you know if it was filmed in Scotland? That is some awesome country! I envy your roots. :)

BTW, my new avatar is reportedly the Gosnold coat of arms. We Gosnells were originally Gosnolds. Hopefully I have a family link to Bartholmew Gosnold.

Gonna get off early as I just got mum home from a 5 day hospital stay.

Take care Max.

Tim

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Too simple an answer Frosty - and displays a sad lack of understanding of 'fishing' society. I'll allow you that over the past few years greed has seen an enormous rise in the number of people and nations who viewed 'fishing' as a fat milch cow. But I'm referring to societies whose whole livelihood has been dependant on fishing as a traditional way of life - where fathers and sons followed fathers and sons into the only trade they knew. Societies where there has been no alternative; no factories 'down the road,' no colleges or technical schools where they could enlist to learn 'new skills'; where the sea is the only available way of earning a living - and then mainly to feed their families and bring a small, I emphasise 'small' income back to that community. Sure, no-one put a gun to their head - only necessity.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Off you go Tim. Don't hang around, and you take care of your mum. You just don't appreciate them until they are no longer around. And, hey, give her our love (and I'm taking the chance, for once,that no-one on this forum will disagree with these sentiments.):)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I watched 'Perfect Storm'

Do they have buses in these little fishing communities, or even a road out of the place.

If I saw little blocks of stone all over the village identifying lost or drowned fishermen I am pretty sure I would be standing at the bus stop.

I sold up and caught a one way plane to the other side of the world when I was 21 because I wasnt happy with the road in front of me.

necessity isnt necessarily necessary.

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

What's your point Frosty ?:confused:

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

APATHY It can kill you.

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Then I apologise for my family being apathetic during the past 300 years....

11. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

:) :) :)
    I think every single person who tries to build up honestly a life, working hardly every day, whatever the occupation, deserves no less recognition than a soldier does. Nobody puts a gun in the head of a soldier to sign in nowadays, at least in developed countries. It's just a job, risky sometimes, true, but no more risky than many other risky jobs. So I do not understand very well all that 'honours' stuff in the times running (Maybe with the exception of heroic acts in service). Maybe the only reason to keep that kind of ceremonies and medals giving thing alive, is to compensate armies' people for what is most of the times a not well enough paid job, as well as to keep their minds 'on line' to obey orders. And this is not a criticism (I've been a navy officer myself), absolutely, just a note.

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks Berg. I passed that on to mom. Lost my father as an infant, so she is all I ever had. Trying to appreciate her while she is alive. :)

Tim

13. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Tim as Bergalia said (and as one who lost one same as you, only the other way round!) cherish them whilst you can! Your mother is the most important person in your life - bar none!! give yours my love as well!

Mike

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

As to why we have cerimonies for dead servicemen and not civilians - would advertising have anything to do with it? You'll go out fishing or trading for money to feed your family (if you've got any kind of compassion - and are part of a family, no matter how small. some haven't and arn't - sad! Some think that's the qway to be! even sadder and disillusioned). so to get people to go out and kill or be killed for no obvious reason now we can't force them to we have to have large well meaning ceremonies with lots of 'swank' to make 'em think it's all worthwhile! And the dumb buggers who went and came back (and there's a lot of us) - you got to help them get over the loss of friends etc and make them think it was worth it! Maybe it was, I've known a few who could say otherwise??!! But I still attend - each to his own, I guess! I know those who wouldn't go anywhere near a parade, of any sort and some of them...............

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

When some one dies and you cry. Why are you crying? Is it because they --the poor person has died so your crying for thier loss of life --Or are you crying for yourself because you will never see them again.

I have never understood this?