Cutty Sark being eaten by flames

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by DanishBagger, May 21, 2007.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Hmm, should have been "being eaten by flames" or simply "Cutty Sark eaten by flames"

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes read that, make you weep

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark....

Hell DanishBagger - did you notice the 'renovation' price tag - 25million quid....Could build a hundred 'Sarks' for that. Still she was a grand old ship - the name means (though you probably know it already) "Short Shirt/or Vest.":(

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you shudda been on the goon show--D blogger won;t have an inkling!!

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Dame of Sark and I often take tea, whilst I'm up North. We both love knitting, , natural wool , naturally, usually we collect it off the stone walls

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yes I knew that - but only because when I was a kid, I looked it up (after reading it on a bottle of whisky - not mine, though ...).

I don't know - usually, when something needs to be restored historically correct, it always end up much more expensive than building new. But building an entirely new one would kind of miss the target, wouldn't it?

And Lazey Jack, I'm not a blogger, but aren't you just a swell fella today?

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Sad, from a cost stand point do you think they will they rebuild the hull?

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sorry
    really I,m half blind, wot is a Bagger?

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, being the ***** I am, it can be anything you want it to be ;-)

11. StianM

StianM Senior Member

probartly yes since it's one of londons greatest turist atractions. I think 50% off the plankss and masts and other stuff where located somewhere else.

Code:
    Emergency services received a call at 0446 BST from a member of the public who said the Cutty Sark was ablaze.
    This is disturbing, they are fixing one off the worlds moust famous boats using electric tools and have gasbotles onboard and have no firealarm instaled? They recive calls from the public about the fire. That is not profesjonal.

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark....

Come now Stu - (you little name dropper you) - The Cutty Sark had nothing whatsoever to do with the island of Sark - as you well know.

Built for captain Jock Willis the 963 ton Cutty Sark was launched on November 22nd, 1869, at Dumbarton (Scotland of course) on the River Leven.

Jock Willis was a well-read man who enjoyed poetry including that of Robert Burns. In the Burns poem ‘Tam O’Shanter’ - the hero Tam meets with three witches dancing around a fire (a common sight in Scotland - even today). The younbgest and prettiest was wearing nothing but a short vest - or petticoat - a ‘cutty sark’ in lowland Scots dialect. And it is because of this that he chose his vessel’s name.

Jock’s lasting ambition was to make the ‘Sark’ the fastest ship in the annual *
    race to bring home the first of the new season's tea from China.

It was not to be. Another Scots built clipper - Thermopylae built in 1868 by Walter Hood & Co., Aberdeen, for the White Star Line (George Thompson & Co.), Aberdeen, under Captain Robert Kemball.

She sailed on her maiden voyage on November 8th that year, from Gravesend Kent, to Hobson's Bay, Melbourne, in 63 days. The fastest passage on record.

Towards the turn of the 19th Century she was sold to the Portuguese Government which converted her to a training ship and renamed her Pedro Nunes.
    Then on October 13 1907 she was sunk by gunfire and torpedoes by units of the Portuguese Navy at sea off the Tagus.
    Much of the Cutty Sark’s popularity stems from Jock Willis’s own personality - being a much more likeable, outgoing man than Captain Robert Kemball.

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I posted this on fires caused by rags impregnated by various oils:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=141342#post141342

might be a possibility too.

Bergalia
    I have a large model of Thermopylae in my office here, for the cost of restoring the Cutty Sark I could take the lines off this model and build her full size through the local shipyard , it's a funny old world.

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark....

Your'e a lucky toad Mike. Beautiful lines - I envy you.
    Read you post on rags and oil. A lesson to us all. But latest heard was that the Inspector Plod is studying the security tapes in the belief that it might have been arson. I ask you - who - and for what possible reason.:(

15. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Cutty Sark

So, so sad. What a magnificent vessel. Here's some photo’s I took only last summer. :(

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.