Cutty Sark being eaten by flames

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by DanishBagger, May 21, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yes extremely sad, I doubt if she will be rebuilt - problems with the cost of the ongoing restoration itself (mind you it's not unknown in these circumstances for the item to be burned down by the actual restorers, the insurance claimed and the job completed using the insurance money to cover the costs! now who would think that?)

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

That is odd, if true, particularly since there were security cameras installed.

3. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Sure. There are things that are priceless. They are symbolic to an entire nation. After all, how many fighter planes you could buy with that money? I guess not many. In 15 years those planes will be junk and the "Old Lady" will last "forever" (with some rebuilds, now and then;) ).

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark

Great pictures Tim. Probably collectors items now.

Perhaps they'll replace her with a stuffed 'Tony Blair'.....(damn there goes Jeff - reaching for his points erasor...):(

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

It turns out that no gas bottles were on board.

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Regardless of the cause, I hope the trust (foundation?) will rebuild her. A classic clipper, a great treasure.

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yep, I'm danish (duuh!), not british, but even I see this as a huge loss. I sure hope they will rebuild her.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Still--- cant give Berglia neg reps.

Slagging off Mr blair like that.

Whats up with this damn points thing.

Talking of burning down. I have never see or experienced a country with such fire precation laws. British standard this and that. Fire extinguishers placed every six inches, smoke alarms, door closers.

Yet the place is always setting on fire. The great fire of london!!--The queens gallery at Windsor,--serious architectural or historical value. They seem to be the ones that go first.

Discarded bloody cigarettes --thats what it is.

Some ***** some where knows what he has done.

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Oh, I see that the headline has been edited/corrected! Thank you!

Jack, why would you give Bergalia neg. rep. for slagging off Blair? If everyone did that, the americans would be rather busy giving people neg. reps. over Bush.

Anyway, it's not about politics - except I hope that if the foundation doesn't have enough money, perhaps it can be politically decided to help.

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

That boat is not only important to the British. I believe it is a landmark or better, a "seamark":D to all sailors and to all countries with a sea tradition. She belong to all of us now and it's our obligation to keep her in good shape.
    (The Cutty Sark was built in Scotland but also sailed under Portuguese flag for 22 years).

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark...

You're obviously doing something wrong Jack...Let me have a go...and we'll fix this ******* once and for all.....:mad:

12. StianM

StianM Senior Member

A smal store where I used to live in Norway had some original pices from the rig for sale. I think that show how mutch interest it is for this boat in the world.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not joking you seem to be imune from my--- wrath??

I cant give you pos or neg point and theres others too I can do.

Its not that I want to, you understand its just I couldnt if I did.

Its your buddy Jeff aint it? hes protecting you.

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Cutty Sark...

Yep. Jeff's my buddy. I regularly slip a dead sparrow in the post for his cat...:)

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

If Jack had been onboard there would have been a 'gas bag' if not a gas bottle!

Let us all hope the ship gets rebuilt, as she is (or was?) one of the great historic monuments to seafaring through history (your OK Jack your the other one, in your case the wrong way to do it!!)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.