Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

That's where Oscar Mayer and Alpo can take over. It doesn't go to waste ;)

2. BPL

BPL Senior Member

I'll stick with James' recipes and leave the monkey and squirrel brains for Frosty and Yobarnacle. P.S. You 2 might enjoy Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think this thread should be closed --its making me hungry.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'll eat almost anything that doesn't eat me first, as long as it's tasty. No sense wasting it on the dog.

I like calf brains scrambled with eggs; beef heart sliced thin with spicy mustard; menudo (Mexican tripe and hominy soup); liver or liverwurst; chicken or turkey giblets; kidney pie; blood sausages; snails; raw oysters; cheap Mexican chorizo made from pork salivary glands, lymph nodes, cheek fat and who knows what else; head cheese; pickled pig's feet; etc. I've had lots of different wild game -- including rats driven out of rice fields, bonked on their little heads, and sold with their tails wrapped into strings like garlic or chile peppers. I wouldn't eat a city rat, but I have no problem with one raised on a vegetarian diet in the countryside.

I do draw the line at raw monkey brains, though. Especially if the monkey is still alive. And I never managed to get past the smell to try a balut when I was in the Philippines. I used to scarf down down regularly on the monkey meat-on-a-stick from the street vendors, though. Even though the cynical side of me always figured it was really cat meat....

5. SheetWise

Agreed ... except knowing it was cat meat would have pleased me ;)

Heart, menudo, liver, liverwurst, giblets, blood sausage, snails, raw oysters, pickled pig's feet, and most wild game are fine with me.

Brains, rats, cheap Mexican chorizo, lymph nodes, cheek fat, head cheese ... that's where the stomach turns. Might love it all if it was prepared well and nobody told me what it was. Strange how that is.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The odds of ever getting a chance to cook breakfast for you are slim, I suppose. But if it ever happens I'll serve you chorizo con papas (diced potatoes), with chopped onion, nopalitos and eggs. Nopalitos are diced young prickly pear cactus pads. The ones I use for breakfast come packed in jars of brine, and for this dish I use them unrinsed.

I think you'd like it....

7. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Duck's feet, Sri Lankan style...
    Duck made to stand on hotplate.
    Bolt cutters remove feet at the knees when done; rest of duck used in other delicacies.
    Not PETA approved, apparently.

8. SheetWise

Nopales are commonly available locally -- and in the local cuisine. I've never cooked with it -- but I love prickly pear jelly. It all sounds good. Must try it.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Didn't notice your location before; for some reason I assumed you were back east. Yes, I suppose you might be able to find nopales and nopalitos in Phoenix...:p

Try the nopalitos salad in post #37 of this thread. It's good.

10. SheetWise

Not often back east -- mostly between Phoenix and San Diego area.

Can't imagine how I missed that out of only 300+ posts ...

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Good Lord. I had no idea the thread had stretched out that far.

12. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I think it's Maine, but some New England state has a law still on the books, prohibiting feeding slaves lobster more than three times a week. The legend is the first settlers use to rake up lobsters on the beach, fill wagons with them and plow them into fields as fertilizer.
    Who knows?

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I hadn't heard about the three days a week restriction before, but it's mentioned in a couple of sites I just looked at.

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I stay away from those poison sea bugs.

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

on a show about the worlds current dilemmas the other night there was a segment about water quality and the things that sewerage treatment plants don't remove from waste, in the usa now they are finding high levels of caffine in fish that contract it from treated waste water. so a clever fish supplier might start marketing energy fish.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.