Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

As you head towards dotage, why not combine some of your hobbies into something more manageable...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

'Yam Nuay' Salad Beef normally with chicken though.

'Yam gai' salad chicken, can use any meat.

3. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Mini cevapcici burgers with a tomato relish and potato salad to the side anyone?

Attached Files:

4. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Many of you are in the depths of winter, but here an orange and asparagus salad is just the thing.

Very easy...

Blanch a bunch of asparagus spears. Segment one large orange. Add a few bitter salad leaves and a few cubes of fetta cheese.

Make up a vinaigrette of white wine vinegar and olive oil. Add a little orange jest.

Garnish with a little poppy seed.

Attached Files:

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Delicious!

We had the ingredients and just tried it. First as your recipe then added a little avocado. Great both ways! :)

6. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

It had occurred to me to add avocado too, but...

This particular salad is a component of a rather slick romantic menu suggestion for two.

The meal plan starts with a sweet potato and pear soup, moves on to this orange and asparagus salad, followed by chicken breast in a cream and thyme sauce and finally pears poached in a saffron citrus syrup.

As each meal is perfected, I'll post pics and instructions.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

In parts of the world such as Malaysia live monkey brains is common in resteraunts. The Monkey is held in a table specially made with thumb screws that hold the monkeys head protruding through the top of the table. The top of the head is removed and the brain exposed for a family feast.

No need for cooking or washing up after, Ideal for a hot night on the veranda.

It is thought to cure impotence but eating parts of the nervous systems can contract spongiform encephalitis.

8. Yobarnacle

Yeah. I saw that in a real life horror film called "Faces of Death". I think I was in my 20s so about 40 years ago when I saw the film. There's no accounting for taste in food or films except the excesses of youth!
    Somefolks in the states eat squirrel brains mixed with scrambled eggs. Here in Mexico, street tacos can be had in a dozen varieties including cow brains. all cooked of course. None of it sounds appetizing.
    James? Please ignore any temptation to include posting recipes for brains. Unless they're for surgical transplant. :)

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Never thought I would eat tripe... but I like Potted meat (canned meat paste) and I made the mistake of reading the ingredients... so I guess I'll be eating tripe knowingly from now on. I am ex army... bugs and dirt are part of the menu in the field...don't really worry about them. Not gonna willingly or knowingly eat brains though, especially from something still alive and especially especially something that shares 90% of my DNA!

10. Yobarnacle

Growing up in my parents home, we weren't poor. But money was tight. When I enlisted in military, I discovered what mom always called steak, was there called liver. I still prefer nice tender liver over a beef steak. Nevermind it's a filter for toxins. Just can't beat calf liver with fried onions and onion/bacon/liver/gravy over mashed taters! Is it greedy to ask for 3rd helpings?
    :)

11. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Won't touch solid liver with a 10 ft (3 Meter) pole but I'll eat liver wurst or Braunshweiger till I pop.

12. Yobarnacle

Maybe you just never had it fixed right? :)
    calf liver sliced thin. medium heat fried 3 minutes each side. Best fried in bacon fat that previous (only minutes before) had browned onions. Tender and delicate flavored but thoroughly cooked. Cooking longer or hotter makes liver tough. :)

13. Yobarnacle

of all the best gravys, chicken giblets gravy, turkey and egg gravy, tomato gravy, sawmill sausage gravy, redeye ham/coffee gravy, brown beef gravy, onion gravy, saurbrauten gingersnap gravy, mushroom gravy, roast pork and sage gravy, NONE top liver/onion/bacon gravy! IMHO

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

All this talk of offal is making me woozy!

Being first generation Australian, my parents found all manner of ways to make what little we had stretch that little bit further.

I can assure you that animal spare-parts will not be featuring in my cooking.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If you restrict yourself to only lean cuts of muscle tissue, you're wasting a lot of the animal -- and a lot of the flavor, too.

There was a time when spare ribs and lobsters were considered fit only for slaves and indentured servants...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.